Why is Tony Romo considered a star QB?

Rev_Hal

I love the following quote from HOF'er Tony Dorsett. He is right - Romo has done nothing to deserve the superstar status that the media has placed on him.

Dorsett:

"Well, for one thing, I don't know why on God's earth Tony Romo has been anointed a superstar in the National Football League. Tony is very young in his career. Not to say you can't be young in your career and be a superstar because you've got one up there in Minnesota in Adrian Peterson.

"But the thing is this: You have a guy who hasn't done much and quarterbacks in the National Football League, most of them go through this growing curve. [Romo] hasn't gone through that growing curve, but he was anointed this great player all of a sudden. Now he's having to live up to that. And obviously Tony has some deficiencies. I mean, he's a young quarterback, that's going to happen. He's not going to be on top of his game every game week in and week out, because this game is a very fast moving game and he makes some decisions sometimes -- he's like a gambler man, he takes chances and sometimes those things, he gets bit in the butt by that.

"But, he's a good player who's still learning how to play in the National Football League and I think the media has given him too much credit for doing nothing. He hasn't done anything really in the National Football League to deserve all the recognition and visibility that he's gotten so far."

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

his qb rating and his regular season w-l record is why he is considered a star.

not to mention he plays for the cowboys. joey h could start for them and the media would find a way to pump him up as the next aikman.

"look at how joey takes that sack. perfect mechanics as he curls into the fetal position. he's a game changer"

EDIT: lol @ two people in a row using joey as an example.

Edited by bossFALCON™

his qb rating and his regular season w-l record is why he is considered a star.

not to mention he plays for the cowboys. joey h could start for them and the media would find a way to pump him up as the next aikman.

"look at how joey takes that sack. perfect mechanics as he curls into the fetal position. he's a game changer"

EDIT: lol @ two people in a row using joey as an example.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I got to keep it real here. The guy has thrown 87 TDs in 39 starts. His career rating is 93.8 . He's averaged over 270 yards a game for his starts in his career. He has deservedly been to 2 Pro Bowls in 3 seasons.

The guy is a good football player. Very good.

1) The star on his helmet.

2) His name. It has that Las Vegas "ring" to it. If he was George Wasalowski, he would be 70% ignored.

3) The stupid, shallow, dumb blondes he attracts...........because of Nos. 1 and 2 above.

Excuse me, but Mrs. Wasalowski and I take exception to your second point B)

Excuse me, but Mrs. Wasalowski and I take exception to your second point B)

Change your life...........change your name to Romo !!! Think of the possibilities !!!!

You could fake sending one of your kids up in a mylar flying saucer balloon for publicity.

All sorts of stuff !!! LOL

The hype has been OTT at times, but to be fair, I thought that the way that Romo performed - and the numbers that he put up - when he first became a started for the Cowboys, were phenomenal. 65% completions, a 95 passer rating and just under 3000 yards in just 10 games as a starter in 2006, is incredible. His numbers since haven't been too shabby either, with 13 wins and 4000 yards and 2 pro-bowls in the last 3 years.

YKW was worshipped by the fans and media and he didn't get close to Romo's productivity as a passer, at any point in his 6 years here.

Obviosuly, the big downside with Romo is that he hasn't carried that productivity over in to late December or in to the post season. Until he changes that, some (but not all) of the criticism that he gets from fans is warranted.

I got to keep it real here. The guy has thrown 87 TDs in 39 starts. His career rating is 93.8 . He's averaged over 270 yards a game for his starts in his career. He has deservedly been to 2 Pro Bowls in 3 seasons.

This is exactly why!!!! He is not overrated, if anything the media bashes him now. When is the last time you heard the media call him a superstar.

He has been in the top 10 every year in almost all stat categories. Also matt Ryan has a All Pro Tight End he throws to as well.

But not every throwing down though...............Remember T.O. WHINING ENDLESSLY to the press about how he never got the ball. Roddy and Jenks and our receivers aren't moaning about not getting the ball, because Matt Ryan knows how to DISTRIBUTE the ball around the field. Its called being a Quarterback. Not a media darling.

But not every throwing down though...............Remember T.O. WHINING ENDLESSLY to the press about how he never got the ball. Roddy and Jenks and our receivers aren't moaning about not getting the ball, because Matt Ryan knows how to DISTRIBUTE the ball around the field. Its called being a Quarterback. Not a media darling.

Except for his performance in playoff games and a couple of important regular season games, there isn't any standard by which Tony Romo is anything less than a star quarterback.

If he doesn't deserve credit because of his poor performances in a few big games, then I guess Peyton Manning's career was pretty much worthless for his first 5 years as well. Nobody doubted that Peyton Manning was a star by 2003, but he still had not won a playoff game.

Great post by a sensible fan. And btw, to the OP all I hear is people bashing Romo. The media doesn't consider him a star qb anymore. Even now while they consider him struggling he's still one of the better qb's in the league statistically. Romo became good too fast. He's still solid. He put up 300+ yards last week with receivers the league never heard of. He's still a threat. I think the Giants game is what killed him. His reputation anyway.

Let me tell you something. TO is a different breed than Jenkins and White. They're not even the same type of personality. TO is a business. He markets himself. He prides himself on being in the media because he's a imprint.