Is Jamaal Anderson a better NT than Thomas Johnson?

Kayoh

Maybe that's why Nnamdi Asomugha is on the trading block...

I wasn't aware of that, but if he really is on the trade block, it's certainly not because of a lack of on field performance. Regardless, my point is that stats aren't that important for CBs and NTs because a CB's job is to shut down the WR (and not get thrown at) and a NT's job is to eat up blockers and push the pocket so that LBers can make tackles and DEs can get sacks. You can't judge either position by their stats.

EDIT: Matter of fact, just looked it up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/18/chiefs-willing-to-trade-anyone-but-cassel/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/274096-raiders-shopping-52-players-before-trade-deadline

Getcha facts straight. ;)

I wasn't aware of that, but if he really is on the trade block, it's certainly not because of a lack of on field performance. Regardless, my point is that stats aren't that important for CBs and NTs because a CB's job is to shut down the WR (and not get thrown at) and a NT's job is to eat up blockers and push the pocket so that LBers can make tackles and DEs can get sacks. You can't judge either position by their stats.

While I do see your point, I still stick to what I said in the other thread. A good DT will do those things (eat up blockers, push the pocket) and also get the sacks and tackles. They should also be batting down passes at the line of scrimmage. A good DT does not just take up space. DT's that just take up space don't make pro bowls. You have to be the WHOLE package. And Jamaal falls short.

As for the Nnamdi Asomugha thing, Jay Glazer reported it on the radio yesterday morning. It was all over every football message board. The Raiders later changed their mind.

Edited by Lord Dark Helmet

You're still ignoring the fact that the Bears game was only his second game at DT. He has to learn an entirely new position. It's like what happened when we asked Keith Brooking to make the switch to MLB. Of course there's going to be a learning curve. I'm saying that Jamaal is playing better than any other DT on our team in the NT role. And besides, he's been getting pressure on the QB when he's in at NT on passing plays. Quite a bit, actually. It's impressive. Watch some tape from the SF or CHI game and pay attention to him.

You're still ignoring the fact that the Bears game was only his second game at DT. He has to learn an entirely new position. It's like what happened when we asked Keith Brooking to make the switch to MLB. Of course there's going to be a learning curve. I'm saying that Jamaal is playing better than any other DT on our team in the NT role. And besides, he's been getting pressure on the QB when he's in at NT on passing plays. Quite a bit, actually. It's impressive. Watch some tape from the SF or CHI game and pay attention to him.

We shall see at the end of the season. He needs to bulk up a bit I think.

Without a doubt, he needs to put on around 20 lbs of muscle. With the way he's playing now, just imagine what he could do with an entire offseason dedicated to getting into NT shape.

Have we unintentionally just found more competition for Peria Jerry at the starting NT spot? :o

Well from what i have seen Johnson has played well these last two games, you might be referring to Trey Lewis i have seen him leave some holes open.

That's the thing, though. When those two are on the field at the same time, Johnson is at NT, Trey is the 3 technique.

That's the thing, though. When those two are on the field at the same time, Johnson is at NT, Trey is the 3 technique.

Well when i rewatch the last two games and focus on Johnson he played well to me which has resulted in San Fran and Chicago having a hard time running the ball. I do see that Trey Lewis is still trying to get his sea legs back and has been prone to give up his position, which resulted in yardage, but the entire Dline played very well against Chicago.

A good DT will do those things (eat up blockers, push the pocket) and also get the sacks and tackles. They should also be batting down passes at the line of scrimmage. A good DT does not just take up space. DT's that just take up space don't make pro bowls.

Casey Hampton 2005 stat line:

15 GS

25 solo tackles (<2 game)

0 sacks

0 PDef

0 FF

0 INT

1st team on AFC Pro Bowl

Superbowl winner

YOU CANNOT JUDGE A LINEMAN BY THEIR STATS

Both has played great the last 2 weeks.... I will say this tho... Jamaal Anderson has amazing potential as a DT... If Jamaal Anderson can get up to 295-305lbs (muscles) .... Dude is going to cause problems.... He is very athletic for a DT, very stout against the run, and Jamaal Anderson is getting to the QB......

I am very excited about his play at DT.....

someone gets it.. thank god not all of you guys are stat junkies.

Come on JIM you cant honestly think that JA98 was tearing it up as a DE the last two years. YOu have to realize that the people who wanted JA98 to step up had a legitimate grip. NO we are not looking for him to get 16 sacks, but he does need to have some sacks as a potential pass rushing DE.

I agree... I mean stats matter but DT is not a huge stat position.... Its about the things they set up for other players..... Our LB's are thriving because the play of our DT's......

I do feel like Jamaal Anderson has what it takes to be a impact DT (stat wise) ... He has to just continue to learn the position and bulk up some.

I agree... I mean stats matter but DT is not a huge stat position.... Its about the things they set up for other players..... Our LB's are thriving because the play of our DT's......

I do feel like Jamaal Anderson has what it takes to be a impact DT (stat wise) ... He has to just continue to learn the position and bulk up some.

If he can bulk up to 300 -305 that would be awesome and learn the position.