Chris Houston and Brent Grimes problems....

Ice74

here is the difference with the 2 of them

Houston really is a decent corner when then the play is in front of him, on occasion he can get sloppy in tackling, but for the most part is ok with it,

Houstons problem (as we all know) is when the play gets behind him!! my god have the coaches not told him yet...turn your head around Houston needs to work in the film room on just giving the NO movement with his head so he can learn to turn his head around, does he lead the league in PI, If i were a QB and saw single coverage on that side, i would just throw the ball to that WR, and 2nd, on the TD pass he gave up, watch his hips... slow as molasses to turn and run

Grimes on the other hand plays pretty solid in coverage, fluid hips, stays low, great back pedal, pretty good anticipation, he just cant tackle... so..

Houston is good when the play is in front of him, bad when its behind him

Grimes is good when the play is in the air, but bad when its in front of him

decent corners, but not #1's

I guess Im saying this because.... last night our D played great.... DL run stopping ..awesome....DL pressure...solid LB's....played pretty good.... Safeties....lights out. CB's.... I would give them the lowest grade, between Williams, Grimes, Houston and Jackson = C

just please Houston, TURN YOUR HEAD AROUND

I dont know what you are on but I saw grimes yesterday make 2 crucial tackles just shy of the 1st down marker on 3rd downs.

I know exactly what play you are talking about, it was the 3rd and 7 pass, and Cutler threw the ball to Knox 6 yards, where he jumped straight up, came straight down and didnt turn or move to run the ball, because Grimes tackled him right as he landed, I would call that a coverage tackle, not an open field tackle,

now.. did you also watch the play where Cutler juked Grimes one way, and Grimes then whiffed and slid right off Cutled, and Cutler was able to run another 20 yards

there was another play where Wolfe run outside, and Grimes ....i dont know what he was doing, he didnt try and tackle him, he just ran into his shoulder, Grimes bounced off him, and Wolfe got a 12 yard gain

and by the way... Wolfe is 5'7 185lbs

Im not saying Grimes is a bad CB, just proving that he is a liability in open field tackling

After 3 years i dont think that Houston problem can be fixed, now teams now that they can throw the ball deep on Houston, especially when he doesnt have help over the top, he is going to draw a PI call if he thinks he can just get away with Faceguarded like he probably did in College.

Grimes may be a good option for us as a #2 CB, I agree that he needs to learn to wrap up and hang on until help comes until he gets stronger.

again, let me say this, I think they both have their strengths and positive abilities.. decent #2 and 3 corners,

but what frustrates me is whenever Houston gets called for the PI, he always looks around in disbelief, like he doesnt understand why anything was called, now this is what alot of DB's do, but every single time?? especially when its evident, makes me think he doesnt know the rules

The frustrating thing is that I think both Houston and Grimes have the physical skills, but Grimes is tremendously hindered by his lack of height/size and Houston just doesn't seem to have his head in the game half the time.

I don't know if it is lack of film study, laziness or no head for the game with Houston but I had very high hopes for him. Thus far he has been a big let down.

Grimes is at least where he needs to be in most cases, but he gets run through when trying to tackle or out jumped against the pass.

I know exactly what play you are talking about, it was the 3rd and 7 pass, and Cutler threw the ball to Knox 6 yards, where he jumped straight up, came straight down and didnt turn or move to run the ball, because Grimes tackled him right as he landed, I would call that a coverage tackle, not an open field tackle,

now.. did you also watch the play where Cutler juked Grimes one way, and Grimes then whiffed and slid right off Cutled, and Cutler was able to run another 20 yards

there was another play where Wolfe run outside, and Grimes ....i dont know what he was doing, he didnt try and tackle him, he just ran into his shoulder, Grimes bounced off him, and Wolfe got a 12 yard gain

Im not saying Grimes is a bad CB, just proving that he is a liability in open field tackling

Grimes has whiffed on a few tackles, but you can't blame the Wolfe miss all on him. If you watch that play closely Babs hits Wolfe in the back at the exact moment Grimes hits him from the side. Babs hits him with his arms in on his own chest, which was the only thing he did wrong all night, and it turned Wolfe into a 5'7" 475lb RB. I don't blame Grimes for missing that one. But he did blow that one on Cutler. I know he is small but he should have hit Cutler right between the numbers, instead of going for his ankles.

Grimes has whiffed on a few tackles, but you can't blame the Wolfe miss all on him. If you watch that play closely Babs hits Wolfe in the back at the exact moment Grimes hits him from the side. Babs hits him with his arms in on his own chest, which was the only thing he did wrong all night, and it turned Wolfe into a 5'7" 475lb RB. I don't blame Grimes for missing that one. But he did blow that one on Cutler. I know he is small but he should have hit Cutler right between the numbers, instead of going for his ankles.

Well, you should. You don't tackle someone with your arms across your chest. You reach out and grab the runner. That was a pitiful attempt by Grimes; wrapping up is something they teach in pop warner. There's no excuse for an NFL pro to try that tactic.

Well, you should. You don't tackle someone with your arms across your chest. You reach out and grab the runner. That was a pitiful attempt by Grimes; wrapping up is something they teach in pop warner. There's no excuse for an NFL pro to try that tactic.

Back up and read it again.....Babs is the one that had his arms across his chest and he slammed Wolfe right through Grimes.

If Houston could learn to play the ball instead of playing the man, he would be a very good corner. At this point though, I don't know if that's a realistic skill for him to develop since he hasn't shown much improvement since his rookie season on that front.

And Grimes whiffed on a few tackles, but he also made a few really good tackles that saved conversions or touchdowns. He's not nearly as bad a player as people around here make him out to be...

Actually this was a freak broken tackle. Grimes and Jordan both hit him at the same time and sort of sandwiched Wolfe keeping him on his feet and they bounced off. Only problem there was neither of them wrapped up. If one or the other hit him without the other guy at the same time I'm sure Wolfe goes down there.

Houston just doesn't know when to turn his head around although Johnny Knox is one of the more faster receivers in the league and a tough man to man cover for a guy like Houston who isn't very physical. Grimes is much more physical off the ball and has very fluid hips, but like everyone is saying his tackling can be an issue. I actually liked a lot of what I saw from Grimes last night. Houston not so much.

As for Chevis Jackson he was destroyed on 2 big plays when he came into the game last night. The TD to Greg Olsen and the 3rd and 25 pass to Bennett that went for 24 yards. I have no idea what Jackson was doing on that play, but he let Bennett get by him and didn't even make a play on the ball when Cutler threw it. I was very disappointed in his game last night.

Yeah, I am a little nervous about Jackson replacing Williams.

I'm hoping he'll improve once he gets his game legs back.

I dont know what you are on but I saw grimes yesterday make 2 crucial tackles just shy of the 1st down marker on 3rd downs.

Thank you I thought I was watching a different Game.

You really need help see I really don't care how you want to look at it, if a Wr is in the open and makes a catch and is tackled right there it is an open field tackle or coverage tackle what ever it is a TACKLE. Show me a CB in the league who makes every tackle every time PLEASE. :wacko: :wacko:

If the only beef with Houston is that he doesn't turn his head to locate the ball, that's not a bad problem. He has the raw talent, all he needs is to hone up on his technical skills. That's just a matter of time.

I would blame it more on the DB coach than the player. This is the kind of stuff the need to work on with Houston. Maybe they should bring in Dieon Sanders, Ty Law or some other former CB to come in and work with Houston on technique.

I think Grimes is a good tackler. There was one play against SF when he missed a tackle but other than that he's been tackling pretty well. You can't label Grimes as a bad tackler just based on that one play. There were a couple of plays against Chicago where he tackled the receiver on 3rd and long before he can get a first down.

If the only beef with Houston is that he doesn't turn his head to locate the ball, that's not a bad problem. He has the raw talent, all he needs is to hone up on his technical skills. That's just a matter of time.

I would blame it more on the DB coach than the player. This is the kind of stuff the need to work on with Houston. Maybe they should bring in Dieon Sanders, Ty Law or some other former CB to come in and work with Houston on technique.

you HONESTLY believe that THIS coachin' staff has NOT TRIED to address Houston's won't-look-for-the-ball technique?? :rolleyes: :wacko: did you not see Smith get in his face about his play?? 3yrs of the SAME problem is enough IMHO :blink: they FINALLY sent him a real message by not givin' him the start last nite. i hope that is the beginnin' of a trend for him. but with BW hurt now i'm sure his PT has been saved again.

Edited by sanfranfalcon

you HONESTLY believe that THIS coachin' staff has NOT TRIED to address Houston's won't-look-for-the-ball technique?? :rolleyes: :wacko: did you not see Smith get in his face about his play?? 3yrs of the SAME problem is enough IMHO :blink: they FINALLY sent him a real message by not givin' him the start last nite. i hope that is the beginnin' of a trend for him. but with BW hurt now i'm sure his PT has been saved again.

I think he is gonna play out his rookie contract(FA after NEXT year I believe), and we are gonna wave bye to him if he doesn't learn to turn his head!!!

I think Cutler threw some passes that NOBODY IN THE LEAGUE could defend last night.. Our corners didnt play all that bad.. on some plays the receiver was blanketed and Cutler snuck it in there. you guys are freaking out too much.. look what Matty does to all the corners in the league..