Rev's thoughts from the Bears game

Rev_Hal

Morning gang. I hope everyone enjoyed the game last night. I had the privilege of the gift of a pair of tickets, so I got to see the action live. I’ll watch the game again tonight on TiVO.

1. I had a good time at Soldier Field South… I mean the Georgia Dome. Seriously, I bet there were 20,000 Bears fans in the building. They had their own “student section” In the west end zone. They were much more polite and friendly than the Saints losers that show up, but there were just as many Bears fans as the Aints usually draw.

2. I know a lot of people are going to be crying about the stats and the weak performance of the offense, but you folks will be flat out wrong. A Championship caliber team finds a way to win when they don’t have their “A” game. The Falcons did that last night. While it was not a pretty performance, in my opinion it was our proudest moment of the season.

3. All together now – say it with me. Deeeeeee –COOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDD!!!!!! Decoud was all over the place last night, and made big play after big play. This kid is going to be a stud. I thought Chevis Jackson was going to be the DB stud from last year’s class of rookies, but Decoud is fast becoming a monster safety.

4. Jay Cutler is a pretty dang good QB. There were only a few times that a receiver was wide open. When the Bears get Cutler some people to catch the ball, that offense is going to be great.

5. I have said it before and I’ll say it again. As much as I like Norwood, we cannot depend on him to be part of our offensive attack. He is the Chris Chandler of running backs. Every play is an injury waiting to happen.

6. The NFL has officially diagnosed how to stop our running attach. Every team we have played so far has done a good job of stuffing the gaps. The only running attack we could get going was Norhurt getting the ball around the outside. Our OL is good, but not great, and the absence of Ovie last night was blaring. Mularky needs to use some counters or screens to get the ball in Turner’s hands more often. Running between the tackles is just not working right now.

7. Speaking of Turner, the fumbling is starting to become a real issue. I know he is taking some big hits, but a fumble/game average is not acceptable.

8. There is 1 final missing piece to this offense. I’d like to see the Falcons pick up 1 more solid #2 WR. Jenkins just isn’t growing and maturing like he should. He was a drive killer last night with 2 big drops.

9. We had the war this week I was expecting against SF. But it was nice to get a win in this game. The Cowboys are going to be even tougher, and we cannot survive Jerryland without our “A” game. I am confident that Smith will have this team prepared to go next week.

10. I am now more aware of breast cancer than I have ever been in my life. But can we lay off of the pink for a while? The outfits that the cheerleaders were wearing looked like pink lingerie and were…. well …. a little on the uber-sexy side. It was all I could do not to stare without my wife noticing. That is too much stress for me during a game.

11. I have been one of the biggest complainers over the last several years about the crappy halftime shows the Falcons get, but the Navy Silent Drill Team was awesome. I can sleep safely knowing that those guys are sneaking up behind our enemies. When they were leaving the field, the Chicago punter kicked a ball and it hit one of the soldiers marching off. All I could think of is “Dang, that is the LAST guy here I want to piss off”.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with a lot on here but i think jenkins just had a bad game hes been solid all year all tho those drops pissed me off we still got the job done but he'll fix it up and hes a solid number 2 also turner was having a horrible game PERIOD yesterday i think he steps it up in dallas .

Morning gang. I hope everyone enjoyed the game last night. I had the privilege of the gift of a pair of tickets, so I got to see the action live. I’ll watch the game again tonight on TiVO.

1. I had a good time at Soldier Field South… I mean the Georgia Dome. Seriously, I bet there were 20,000 Bears fans in the building. They had their own “student section” In the west end zone. They were much more polite and friendly than the Saints losers that show up, but there were just as many Bears fans as the Aints usually draw.

2. I know a lot of people are going to be crying about the stats and the weak performance of the offense, but you folks will be flat out wrong. A Championship caliber team finds a way to win when they don’t have their “A” game. The Falcons did that last night. While it was not a pretty performance, in my opinion it was our proudest moment of the season.

3. All together now – say it with me. Deeeeeee –COOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDD!!!!!! Decoud was all over the place last night, and made big play after big play. This kid is going to be a stud. I thought Chevis Jackson was going to be the DB stud from last year’s class of rookies, but Decoud is fast becoming a monster safety.

4. Jay Cutler is a pretty dang good QB. There were only a few times that a receiver was wide open. When the Bears get Cutler some people to catch the ball, that offense is going to be great.

5. I have said it before and I’ll say it again. As much as I like Norwood, we cannot depend on him to be part of our offensive attack. He is the Chris Chandler of running backs. Every play is an injury waiting to happen.

6. The NFL has officially diagnosed how to stop our running attach. Every team we have played so far has done a good job of stuffing the gaps. The only running attack we could get going was Norhurt getting the ball around the outside. Our OL is good, but not great, and the absence of Ovie last night was blaring. Mularky needs to use some counters or screens to get the ball in Turner’s hands more often. Running between the tackles is just not working right now.

7. Speaking of Turner, the fumbling is starting to become a real issue. I know he is taking some big hits, but a fumble/game average is not acceptable.

8. There is 1 final missing piece to this offense. I’d like to see the Falcons pick up 1 more solid #2 WR. Jenkins just isn’t growing and maturing like he should. He was a drive killer last night with 2 big drops.

9. We had the war this week I was expecting against SF. But it was nice to get a win in this game. The Cowboys are going to be even tougher, and we cannot survive Jerryland without our “A” game. I am confident that Smith will have this team prepared to go next week.

10. I am now more aware of breast cancer than I have ever been in my life. But can we lay off of the pink for a while? The outfits that the cheerleaders were wearing looked like pink lingerie and were…. well …. a little on the uber-sexy side. It was all I could do not to stare without my wife noticing. That is too much stress for me during a game.

11. I have been one of the biggest complainers over the last several years about the crappy halftime shows the Falcons get, but the Navy Silent Drill Team was awesome. I can sleep safely knowing that those guys are sneaking up behind our enemies. When they were leaving the field, the Chicago punter kicked a ball and it hit one of the soldiers marching off. All I could think of is “Dang, that is the LAST guy here I want to piss off”.

I agree with everything especially about the problem we are having running between the tackles and i even mentioned it to the people who was sitting with me that we need to run Norwood more to the outside. I am glad that they are starting to get turner involved in the passing game a little bit, but i think we do need to use more screens, counters, toss to the outside. Yeah the turner fumbling thing is starting to scare me too, he is fumbling pretty easily if you ask me.

I disagree about jenkins, he is a very good blocker, and he has speed and runs good routes, he has ususally ben sure handed, he just had a bad game, which happens. Jenkins is a great option as a #2 WR and Matt is very comfortable with Jenkins, but dont forget we still got Harry coming back.

Great observations.. I think our weakness is not on the passing attack though; our weakness is on running the football. Cutler has a lot of weapons and he is spreading the ball around a lot, which is a good thing. You cannot however win many games when you're running the ball so poorly. We won't even get into the mistakes in the red-zone.

This however takes nothing away from the victory for your team; you played hard and you won. No "buts", excuses, no false praise or backhanded compliments; not coming from me anyway.

Edited by Aquineas

oh and as soon as we gave norwood the ball a few times it changed the pace of the game and it made our offense hot norwoods just going to have to stay healthy on his own but are offense needs him bad out there

My only problen with Norwood is that he cannot stay healthy. He has never been able to stay healthy.

Wow that was funny. But I totally agree with you on last night game. I think both defense played a heck of a game.

yeah there were a BUNCH of bear fans there. it was pretty bad. seemed close to 65% falcon fans 35% bear fans. they even had a "lets go bears!" chant going when we started chanting "defense!" late in the 4th. i've never seen anything like that.

either way we won.

1 other thing- i can't say we need another #2 wr yet for two reasons. tony g basically is our #2, jenkins was not and is not going to see as many balls this year. gonzo basically took over his role. that said, jenkins has GOT to catch the 3-4 balls that come his way. he looked like the 2007 michael jenkins yesterday with that tip/INT. i think he'll get it together though.

My only problen with Norwood is that he cannot stay healthy. He has never been able to stay healthy.

Its frustrating because he really helps our offense. As soon as he went into the game we finally got the offense going. Having Norwood in their allows running lanes in the middle for Turner.

yea exactly but he does change the game that what lit a fire under the offenses *** yesterday lol .. btw did anyone see lofton play out there the dudes a monster he deserves to go to the pro bowl he makes solid plays hes getting better in coverage and he barley misses tackles im going to try and vote for him about 30 times lmao and mike peterson is just looking better and better out the our linebackers are doing great .... and now that the beerman is starting i think our d line is going to start and get alot of pressure on the quarterbacks in this leauge

Its frustrating because he really helps our offense. As soon as he went into the game we finally got the offense going. Having Norwood in their allows running lanes in the middle for Turner.

Do you realize the kind of career Chandler could have had if he was able to stay healthy?

oh and as soon as we gave norwood the ball a few times it changed the pace of the game and it made our offense hot norwoods just going to have to stay healthy on his own but are offense needs him bad out there

Snelling seems to provide a spark too and he hasn't been dinged-up yet(as far as I know)...and like Turner he's HARD to bring down!

Edited by umpcam

Speaking of Tony G, there's a reason that guy is going to be a first-ballot Hall of Fame candidate. That route he ran on that touchdown was awesome.

First off, Gonzo is a gentic freak. To move like he does at his size is crazy. Second, age is not slowing him down at all. We are fortunate to have him.

Agree with everything you said but the remark about Jenkins. He had a bad game.... that's it.

I want to go find some of my old posts defending DeCoud... I've been supporting him since almost everyone was calling him Mr. Invisible in the preseason. I told you guys he just needed some time and that the calls for Moore were premature. Speaking of Moore... hurt again?! Geez

Snelling seems to provide a spark too and he hasn't been dinged-up yet(as far as I know)...and like Turner he's HARD to bring down!

I'm a big Snelling fan, but he does not have the speed burst that Norwood has. Norwood just needs to syat healthy, which it appears he will never be able to do.

Agree with most of that.

What I'm hoping:

These first few games with Turner/Norwood are flukes. The fumbles/injuries.

Norwood and Turner were totally different last year. Only Norwood injury I remember last year didn't last long and was to his ribs. Turner, of course fumbled only a few times, 1 or 2 of which were BS anyway. Mentioned this in a thread earlier but we just made Forte fumble (in two plays) TWICE as much as he did in the entire 2008 season. The whole league's fumbles are up.

What I know:

Jenkins is as solid a #2 as pretty much anyone in the NFL. Hes got speed (straight ahead) hands (usually) and is a great blocker. I find it odd that you mention he needs to be replaced. Remember last year's Chicago game? Also, Matt Ryan's two interceptions were more of a drive killer than Jenk's drops, both of which are uncharacteristic.

Mostly agree with everything, That USMC show was really awesome!

Nice Rev! Jenkins had a bad game and was a liability last night. Killed 2 drives, one easy drop and another tipped catchable ball that ended up an INT. In my opinion he has shown growth but not the type of growth I want to see from a first round draft pick. On the other hand, Roddy White showed his big play potential last night on that screen pass. Amazing strength and speed!

The running game is going to be our Achilles heel this year. There is going to come a time when we need to run the clock out to win a game and we can't. i.e. New Orleans coming up in two weeks. That is the type game where we have to limit the opposing teams offensive possessions. If we can't do that, then NO is going to light us up.

Overall, I was very happy with last nights team performance. Big players made big plays when they needed to.

Another note about the game, Turnovers are huge. If Chicago does not turn the ball over 3 times we have no shot at winning this game. Protecting the ball in the NFL is the key to victory every week.

Rev, good review,

Winning without your "A" game is what good/great teams do. I also think I wouldn't want to Play Ryan the week after a game like this- I think he comes out sharp.

Norwood's inability to stay on the field hurts more w/o Douglas to take up the slack. All is forgiven if he plays the last half of the season and playoffs.

We missed Ovie in the run game- we also missed Ryan making them pay for stacking the box.

Although, last year ,we were 1-5 when Turner had a bad day, this year 2-1.

This is a better team than last year's team.

I'll give Jenkins the benefit of a doubt, although next year, Douglas may be the number 2.

this D is growing up in front of our eyes- If they get pressure like that on most QBs, they'll have 4-6 sacks- Cutler made some great plays.

Tackling has improved dramatically from the first of the year. Very little YAC

They keep playing the run that well, this is a playoff team.