Bears Look To Get Sack-Happy in Atlanta

link

This weekend in Atlanta a much-improved Chicago Bears pass rush will get its biggest test of this young season.

The Falcons' offensive line has allowed just two sacks in four games--none in their last three contests--to lead the NFL. Second-year QB Matt Ryan has had plenty of time to connect with dangerous receivers Roddy White, Michael Jenkins and Tony Gonzalez, completing 66.7% of his passes and throwing for an average of 244.2 yards per game.

On the other side of the ball, the Bears have notched 14 sacks courtesy of nine different players and are on pace to double their sack total from last season. The mark places the Monsters of the Midway at fourth in the NFL and sets up a fine battle with right tackle Tyson Clabo and the rest of the Falcons' offensive line.

Leading the attack on Ryan's protection will be defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, who is already just one half-sack away from equaling his season total from last year (5). Ogunleye and the rest of the Bears' defensemen have been scouring tapes looking for a weakness in Atlanta's pass protection.

Ogunleye said of the Falcons' recent opponents, "I haven't seen a defense really play them aggressive. I've seen a lot of people sitting back and almost playing patty cake, looking too much. We've just got to put our head down, put our blinders on, and focus on our keys."

Expect the Bears to come out hard and fast, looking to put Ryan back on his heels (and his butt) from the get-go. Last year's Rookie of the Year has been praised for his calm, collected nature in the pocket since he took his first snap. Perhaps that's because his offensive line has kept him safe and sack-free in 10 of his first 20 NFL games.

After last year's heart-breaking and head-scratching Week 6 loss to Atlanta (A squib kick? Really?!) the Bears are looking for revenge. If they hope to avoid the kind of 45-10 drubbing the Birds handed the Niners last week, they'll need to make it tougher for Ryan to see and hit his targets.

Of course, even if the Bears do manage to shut down the dirty birds' aerial assault, they'll still have Chicago native and NIU product Michael Turner to contend with on the ground. Stock the fridge with beer, get your fill of buffalo wings before the shortage and settle in, kids. This is gonna be a good one.

I imagine that'll get a sack or 2, but they won't have constant pressure on Ryan. Our line is too good for that and Ryan's makes his reads too fast.

if i recall they got zero zip sacks last year the same thing will happen again ,ryan is jus playing very good under pressure and the ol has not played their best game yet

Ogunleye said of the Falcons' recent opponents, "I haven't seen a defense really play them aggressive. I've seen a lot of people sitting back and almost playing patty cake, looking too much. We've just got to put our head down, put our blinders on, and focus on our keys

do u think that there is any truth to this, teams not playing us aggressive i dont not believe so cuz they not stop turner if they were not playing hard but they jus couldnt get to ryan

if i recall they got zero zip sacks last year the same thing will happen again ,ryan is jus playing very good under pressure and the ol has not played their best game yet

I dunno, they've almost matched their sack total from last year, right? They got a new DL coach, I believe. Can't remember who, though. They'll play better, but sack happy they will not be.

If they bring the house all night, Matt will just dump it off to the greatest tight end of all time.

I think the team can live with giving up a sack or two (no injuries!) but if they want to play like the Jets did against the Pats (22 blitzes!) then Ryan and TG will have a record night.

Plus - we play with 2 TE sets almost always - and I'm sure we can make it 3 if we need to.

If they're going to be super aggressive, it would be a great game to get Norwood 100+ yard receiving on screens and outlet plays.

I hope they have a contingency for that (our coaches are excellent at pregame planning, but not as good at in game changes) so if they blitz a lot, we have a screen package. I think that would add a lot to our offense and really frustrate their D. With Snelling in extra, it's a great time to implement it.

Ogunleye said of the Falcons' recent opponents, "I haven't seen a defense really play them aggressive. I've seen a lot of people sitting back and almost playing patty cake, looking too much. We've just got to put our head down, put our blinders on, and focus on our keys

Is it because the recent opponents didn't have enough playmakers to cover all our weapons or did they just not play aggressive? I would go with the first choice and say you pick your poison (Stop Turner or stop Ryan and the pass game). Being overly aggressive will get them beat by Turner and Norwood.

Edited by atlbaby

I'm not concerned.

The DL probably is Chicagos best unit at this point but if they start getting by the offensive line we'll just open up the quick passing game. The Bears have maybe 3 players in their back seven in Briggs, Tillman, and Manning, everyone else is garbage and no match for Gonzalez, White, or Jenkins, or Norwood or Turner on screens for that matter

If they're going to be super aggressive, it would be a great game to get Norwood 100+ yard receiving on screens and outlet plays.

I hope they have a contingency for that (our coaches are excellent at pregame planning, but not as good at in game changes) so if they blitz a lot, we have a screen package. I think that would add a lot to our offense and really frustrate their D. With Snelling in extra, it's a great time to implement it.

Well a couple of things. 1) I invite the pressure, Matt has shown all season

that he can recognize the blitz, so bring it on. 2) Norwood will have a field day

on the Bears backfield. Ryan will spot the blitz get Norwood the ball in the open

field and from other reports I've learned the Chicago backfield is suspect. The

screen play will be a dagger as well as the draw. So bring it on!

do u think that there is any truth to this, teams not playing us aggressive i dont not believe so cuz they not stop turner if they were not playing hard but they jus couldnt get to ryan

There's a reason that people aren't playing aggressive. One is because there are guys out there you can't leave alone. White and Gonzalez will kill you in man coverage. Two Ryan is killing the blitz. His numbers are off the charts when people send the house.

bearssacks.jpg

not very impressed they got most of thier sacks against 2 of the worst teams in the nfl when it comes to protection, and the steelers and seahawks are not great either, I remember hearing the same thing last year, they were gonna pressure the rookie into mistakes, Ryan carved them up, now we got even more weapons, no way they beat us with their D, its going to come down to Our D to stop their offense