JAMAAL ANDERSON

MagnusXXIII

After reviewing the film multiple times...

Jamaal got excellent push and at times penetration from the DT position.

He surprisingly collapsed the pocket on a couple of occasions and would have had a sack if Abraham did not get there first on one occasion.

He is playing with a lot more "violence" and his movements seem quicker and crisper.

Jamaal is still very young ... and might finally be getting his "man strength".

Schematically the "Justin Tuck" experiment might be the best use of our personnel.

By basically overloading one side of the line with DE's ... it could create problems for the opponents offensive line. You could see how Biermann or Abe can create space for Anderson to work by stretching the edges.

It is only one game ... but Jamaal really seemed to step up ... even if the numbers aren't there yet.

I agree..I was impressed also.. He is able to use his quickness against the less athletic O-Lineman (Guards and Centers).... Its like when a OT move inside to Guard..... I really want to see how he look at there against the bears this week.. We will need that inside pass rush and we will need to be stout up the middle(forte).....

I really want to see how Jamaal Anderson plays this week...

But he's too small!!! Sarcasm off.

Good NT's don't have to be 300+ (Henry Thomas anyone?) He has the other fact that makes a good NT...He's 6'6" (I hear that he's close to 6'7"). He can reach up and/or use those long arms to swim to the QB. He was way more violent and better at the snap. He's playing HIS position now and JA98 will now earn that 8th overall status.

Many of us always said that he looked like a DT playing DE which is why some felt that he was better suited for the 3-4.

Thank goodness we are giving up on the DE thing. He can help us down there at DT because he is fairly good at holding the point of attack. Thats really all we need our DTs to do. They dont have to be overly productive. Also, this clears room for Kroy Biermann to play LDE a lot more. He is clearly the best man for that job. I like him there even on run downs, simply due to how disruptive he is in the backfield.

Big test tomorrow night though. The Bears offensive line isnt the 49ers oline. If we play really well up front tomorrow night, then I think we can go really far this season. If we get owned tomorrow, then we may sign one of those street FA DTs like Roye.

I really think this can work out great for Jamaal.

The question becomes though will he be a bust if he turns out to be a great DT?

Some people will continue to say so, that he is a bust at DE, but you couldn't call him a bust if he excels at DT.

What some people fail to realize is that he also got good pressure from DE.

No, not really. Maybe he got pressure a handful of times, but for the most part he was nowhere near the QB.

I too am excited that the Falcons see him as a possible productive DT, but realize he is useless as a DE, and this allows The Beerman to get more time and do what we need a DE to do.

If he turns out to be great at DT.... He is not a bust

Its a serious uphill battle for a 6'6 guy to be a great DT. There arent many Marcus Stroud's out there. You have to have beastly strength to dominate the middle at that height. He can do us some good because we are so weak at DT, but lets not confuse holding the line of scrimmage for being a great DT.

Its a serious uphill battle for a 6'6 guy to be a great DT. There arent many Marcus Stroud's out there. You have to have beastly strength to dominate the middle at that height. He can do us some good because we are so weak at DT, but lets not confuse holding the line of scrimmage for being a great DT.

I didn't say he is great.... The guy asked "IF" he became a great DT would he still be a bust....I was answering his question.

We all a free that Jamaal Anderson will have to continue to get bigger and stronger if he is moved to DT for good.

All of these guys are listed as 6'5 -6'7

John Henderson

Albert Haynesworth

Richard Seymour

Marcus Stroud

Kevin Williams

Chris Canty

Calais Campbell

It can be hard for guys who are 6-6 at DT. When you're inside you go up against guards who are often shorter than your tackles, so you have to make sure you play lower. When you're 6-6 it's harder to keep those guards from getting under your pads. It can be done though. And when a player can overcome the drawbacks of that height at DT, they can use the benefits. Getting their longer arms up and in the QB's face or get a hand on the ball. Using the long arms to get a hold of the runner.

It's way to early to see what Anderson's impact will be at DT. But I think there's no doubt that in a 4-3 he's a much better fit inside than off the edge.

They just showed how impressive Jamaal Anderson was against the 49ers on Playbook..... Not only was JA98 penetrating the pocket but he also drop back in coverage.... That help Kroy Beirmann get his sack.

Jamaal was very good..... I cant wait to see what he does this game.

I think it is quite obvious Jamaal does not have the speed to be a DE but he usually did well containing the run. Most of the time I saw him make mistakes it was because he was rushing in and ended up on the wrong side of the gap. The guy is 298, granted he is 6'6", if he keeps his pads low for leverage he will definitely contribue. When a QB can step up in the pocket that is frustrated. When a RB or QB can run at will up the gut that drives me mad. Jamaal was used in short yardage situations 3rd/4th or goal line for every play last week. That is a vote of confidence from the coaching staff. It's not what the fantasy football gang or those hung up on draft position wanted but consistent contribution is the key to a team game.

I hope for the Falcons sake he can step up and be a benefit to the team. He is not as bad as some have said, but he has been disappointing in his production. He is still young, and can if he continues to develop be a decent player for us(hopefully a monster, but I will believe it when I see it). He could be great depth and possibly a starter IF he continues to develop.

Again ... the context was from a DE/DT hybrid (Tuck) application.

Obviously BVG will manage match-ups and situations and use Lewis and Johnson accordingly.

That said ... Anderson is somewhat unique.

He has Peppers like size and athleticism ... but his center of gravity is very low. Combine that with long arms and DE quickness ... and a new found work ethic, DT may be his best position.