Friday NFC South Chat with Pat Yaz

g-dawg

ACC (Atlanta)

Bears are down to their 3rd string MLB. Bad timing w/ Turner and Gonzalez.

Pat Yasinskas (12:52 PM)

It sure doesn't help the Bears.

Jeremy (Ocilla, Ga)

Will Atlanta be able to run on the Bears without Mughelli?

Pat Yasinskas (12:55 PM)

It's going to be tough. Mughelli is a much bigger factor in that running game than a lot of people realize.

Brian (Urbandale, IA)

Two hustle plays for the Falcons last weekend really stood out to me, getting me back to cautious optimism. The first was the 90-yard TD catch and run from Roddy White. The only player to catch him wasn't a DB from the 49ers - it was Roddy's counterpart Michael Jenkins. The second was again from Roddy - catching up to Dre Bly on the interception. More impressive on that play, though, was the O-line not giving up on the play and recovering the fumble. Can they keep the hustle going even if they're down?

Pat Yasinskas (1:01 PM)

Hustle's never been an issue since Mike Smith got there. They play hard for him. I was especially impressed with Roddy running down Bly on the interception.

Pabst (Greenville, SC)

With the emergence of Kroy Biermann do you think that the move of Jamaal Anderson to Defensive Tackle will be a perminent one?

Pat Yasinskas (1:03 PM)

As permanent as can be. He now has to show he can play DT. He may still line up at end sometimes, but I think they want to give him a long look at DT.

Pabst (Greenville, SC)

What do you think of Jason Snelling? In the limited time I've seen him he seems to play well. DO you think we would see him lining up at fullback if Mughelli can't play? And if so do you see him getting some carries? I

Pat Yasinskas (1:10 PM)

I like Snelling and it seems like coaching staff is starting to trust him by giving him more playing time. If Ovie's out, I think you could see combo of Snelling and Haynes at FB. Haynes has had more practice time there, but Snelling can play FB. But I also think they'd like to keep him in rotation at tailback.

Nick (Indiana)

Do you think Mike Peterson can maintain that energy and explosiveness in the Falcons D throughout the whole season and possibly into the playoffs?

Pat Yasinskas (1:15 PM)

Yep, he's a high-energy guy and he's out to prove Jack Del Rio wrong for giving up on him last year.

CC (Atlanta)

Without naming names, how many current coaches will NOT be in the same role this time next year? I say 1 for sure, possibly 2.

Pat Yasinskas (1:17 PM)

Just in the NFC South? Yeah, you're on the right track. Fox will go if he doesn't have a winning season. Morris gets more slack, but if they go 0-16 or 1-15 and show no promise, Bucs might have to make a move. Payton and Smith, obviously, are very safe.

Hey Pat, do you think this years NFC Championship game could be an all NFC South game?

Pat Yasinskas (1:22 PM)

I'd be in favor of it.

Finny (Marietta, GA)

is the NFC South a two horse race and do you see both the saints and Falcons getting into the playoffs?And what will the record have to be to win the division and get a WC berth. Thanks Pat. I love the chat

Pat Yasinskas (1:24 PM)

I say they both get in and both have double-digit wins. I think you might see one of them win 12 or 13.

Josh (Statesboro, GA)

Will we see Tye Hill playing this week? Or will we have to wait another week or so?

Pat Yasinskas (1:25 PM)

From what I hear, you won't be seeing Hill anytime soon.

Nick (GA)

Hey pat, what are the chances that one of atlanta,s coaches leaves at the end of this season to take a head coaching job?

Pat Yasinskas (1:28 PM)

Chances get better with each win. Mularkey's the guy to keep an eye on. I think Brian VG could be a year or two away and Bill Musgrave will end up being a head coach at some point.

Matt (Lawrenceville, GA)

Heard any rumors about any trades going down in the NFC South before the deadline?

Pat Yasinskas (1:29 PM)

Not much. Trade deadline is kind of overrated -- it's not like baseball. But there's still a chance we could see a deal or two.

Hendrik (Germany)

I don't get why the Falcons reached out for Tye Hill if he has so much trouble picking up the playbook.. Isn't that why St.Louis got rid of him?!

Pat Yasinskas (1:29 PM)

Well, I don't think they knew it, or accepted that, when they made the deal. But they're learning the hard way.

Stephen (New Jersey)

Why is Matt Ryan such a freakin' champion?!

Pat Yasinskas (1:30 PM)

He's got "it'' or all the intangibles. He's only scratched the surface so far.

Brett (Dallas, GA)

Do you really think that haynes is that big of a drop off from Mughelli as far as blocking? He was a beast at UGA and played pretty well for the steelers for a few years...or is he just best suited coming out of the backfield as a receiver?

Pat Yasinskas (1:33 PM)

Not saying Haynes is all that bad. I just think Mughelli is very good -- way better than he gets credit for.

Jared (Brooklyn)

No go on Hill... What about Moore or Owens?

Pat Yasinskas (1:34 PM)

Think Moore will be the first that you'll see much of. But it will be gradual.

Brett (Atlanta)

Pat. my friend (a Falcons fan) argues the Saints still need a feature back to truly be a Super Bowl contender. I say with Payton's system, versatile backs are good enough and that a featured back would in some ways be wasted, since I don't think Payton wants any one back to get 25 carries a game. You agree.

Pat Yasinskas (1:35 PM)

In that system, they're just fine with what they've got in the backfield.

Sam (Sandersville, GA)

hey pat, whats the status on Mughelli?

Pat Yasinskas (1:39 PM)

Didn't practice last two days. We'll get an update today around 4 p.m.

CC (Atlanta)

Harvey Dahl may be the best, and least known, OG in the South.

Pat Yasinskas (1:40 PM)

Evans is the best. But Dahl's pretty good and you have to like how he's so fiesty.

Lloyd (Baton Rouge, LA)

Come on Pat, you said you think the Falcons are the best at making draft picks, but you can't help but be impressed with some of the late round draft picks or rookie free agent pickups by Sean Payton. (Colston, Nicks, Pierre Thomas just to name a few)

Pat Yasinskas (1:57 PM)

Don't forget Mickey Loomis in there, too. Yes, Saints have done real well on late picks. And I also think the Ellis pick from last year will look real good in time.

Edited by g-dawg

meh. it took foxy until week 8 before he knew enough of our playbook to play.

True, boss, but the comments that the coaches have made about Hill have been kind of head-scratching:

"He's gonna have to be patient with us just as we have to be patient with him" was one I remember.

Am I reading too much into it?

fox mouthed off to AJC last year about playing time before we started him. it was around the time of the first carolina game. he said he didn't know why we'd trade for someone just for them to ride the pine and the staff kept telling him he wasn't ready or something like that.

if it wasn't so dang long ago i'd try to look up the ajc article or something.

EDIT: thanks tandy. i just basically posted the same thing.

Pat Yasinskas (12:55 PM)

It's going to be tough. Mughelli is a much bigger factor in that running game than a lot of people realize.

I have watched every one of Mughelli's plays as a Falcon. Many in slo mo. He is good but I still don't think he is on the level that this guy thinks. I don't think he could wear Bobby Christian's jock and he's not even on the same planet with William Andrews.
Pat Yasinskas (1:03 PM)

As permanent as can be. He now has to show he can play DT. He may still line up at end sometimes, but I think they want to give him a long look at DT.

Busterson solidified his name as the all time Top 10 NFL DE bust last week when he lost his job to the Beer Man. Now he has to prove he can paly DT. There aren't many SF type Olines left on the schedule.
Pat Yasinskas (1:10 PM)

I like Snelling and it seems like coaching staff is starting to trust him by giving him more playing time. If Ovie's out, I think you could see combo of Snelling and Haynes at FB. Haynes has had more practice time there, but Snelling can play FB. But I also think they'd like to keep him in rotation at tailback.

Snelling>>>Mughelli. FB or RB. Trust me.

I have watched every one of Mughelli's plays as a Falcon. Many in slo mo. He is good but I still don't think he is on the level that this guy thinks. I don't think he could wear Bobby Christian's jock and he's not even on the same planet with William Andrews.

Busterson solidified his name as the all time Top 10 NFL DE bust last week when he lost his job to the Beer Man. Now he has to prove he can paly DT. There aren't many SF type Olines left on the schedule.

NO offense... but I'd rather trust someone who actually gets paid to give their opinions... B)

bs,bull,crap,no-588f5244819078bd70615097121db006_m.jpg

Pretty sure Busterson solidified his name as a top 10 DE bust when he generated 1 sack in two full seasons starting every game. The Beer Man would unseed a lot of DE's in this league though. Even in his part-time rotation at DE, he's 13th amongst all DE's in sacks. He's 18th overall, but 5 of those ahead of him are LBers.

Yes, they did and everyone was thinking Fox was getting really frustrated before he finally got a chance to play - but they did the right thing waiting until he was ready.

Everyone needs to remember that there was never any question that Foxworth could play. He was basically squeezed out in Denver in a numbers game and he was in the last year of his contract. Hill on the other hand is a "project" much like any other 1st round busts are. He would have been released anyway, but I guess TD was worried another team would sign him first. That whole move was puzzling, much like the Laureant Robinson trade. I love the job TD is doing, but his transactions with the Rams have been odd..

Everyone needs to remember that there was never any question that Foxworth could play. He was basically squeezed out in Denver in a numbers game and he was in the last year of his contract. Hill on the other hand is a "project" much like any other 1st round busts are. He would have been released anyway, but I guess TD was worried another team would sign him first. That whole move was puzzling, much like the Laureant Robinson trade. I love the job TD is doing, but his transactions with the Rams have been odd..

Unfortunately you might be off in your assessment of Hill. Hill has talent and showed that talent his rookie year, but the injury bug hit him and he has yet to be able to recover and play a full season, as a matter of fact in injury in his second year hit him pretty early. So he is not a project in terms of talent, but moreso in terms of can he stay healthly for an entire season.