Positional Grades So Far...

juiceaccts

Bear's board had this up there, so I thought it would be fun if we did it too.

LINK: http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/thread/1845067.aspx

Grades by position so far this year:

Offense:

QB's * A +

RB's * B -

WR's * A

TE's * A +

OL * B

Defense:

LB's * B +

DB's * B

FS * B +

SS * B -

DL * B -

Sp Teams:

K * A

P * A +

LS * A

KR * B +

PR * B +

KCV * B +

PCV * B +

Coaching:

HC * A

OC * B

DC * B -

STC * A

Yours?

Edited by juiceaccts

Offense:

QB's * A +

RB's * B -

WR's * A

TE's * A +

OL * B

Defense:

LB's * B +

DB's * C -

FS * B

SS * B

DL * C

Sp Teams:

K * A

P * A +

LS * A

KR * B +

PR * B

KCV * C

PCV * C +

Coaching:

HC * A

OC * B

DC * B -

STC * A

Yours?

Offense:

QB's * A

RB's * C+

WR's * B

TE's * A

OL * B

Defense:

LB's * B

DB's * B

FS * B+

SS * C+

DL * C+

Sp Teams:

K * D+

P * A +

LS * A

KR * B

PR * B-

KCV * B +

PCV * A

Coaching:

HC * B

OC * C+

DC * B+

STC * A

It is kind of finally that you gave our LB core a B when you were filled with sooo much doubt about that same group LOL, I told you to listen to me LOL

Offense:

QB's * A +

RB's * B -

WR's * A -

TE's * A +

OL * B +

Defense:

LB's * A

DB's * B-

FS * A-

SS * B-

DL * B-

Sp Teams:

K * B (only because of the missed fg/xp in the first game)

P * A +

LS * A

KR * B

PR * A

KCV * A-

PCV * A

Coaching:

HC * A+

OC * A

DC * A

STC * A+

Mine may be disqualified - I am an admitted Homer.

It is kind of finally that you gave our LB core a B when you were filled with sooo much doubt about that same group LOL, I told you to listen to me LOL

I had my doubts but I am not one of those people that won't admit when they are wrong. They are playing well. If I were to break it down by game, I would give them A+ the MIA and SF games and C for the other two games.

Offense:

QB's * A +

RB's * B -

WR's * A -

TE's * A +

OL * B +

Defense:

LB's * A

DB's * B-

FS * A-

SS * B-

DL * B-

Sp Teams:

K * B (only because of the missed fg/xp in the first game)

P * A +

LS * A

KR * B

PR * A

KCV * A-

PCV * A

Coaching:

HC * A+

OC * A

DC * A

STC * A+

Mine may be disqualified - I am an admitted Homer.

Yeah Tandy you have straight homer grades, too bad you werent my high school teacher = Easy A LOL

Nah, but I do think you are being a teeny bit generous. Or it's possible that you had something important to do the day the Falcons played at NE.

No, I just viewed the performance for what it was. Young defense - first time away together in the rain against the revered powerhouse of the decade. It wasn't that big of a shock to me and I didn't feel that it defined them as players or a group. The number of bad calls and some nerves on our receivers - or we would have scored a lot more than we did.

Overall - I don't grade them that poorly for the NE game. I watched the individual effort, considered who they were playing, the conditions and the particular newness of the D.

Offense:

QB's * B+

RB's * C+

WR's * B

TE's * B+

OL * B-

Defense:

LB's * B

CB's * C

FS * B-

SS * C

DL * C

Sp Teams:

K * C+

P * A

KR * C

PR * C

KCV * A

PCV * A

Coaching:

HC * B

OC * C-

DC * C-

STC * A

Okay, C = average, our whole team has not been above average to this point, that's why I graded differently. No one other than Koenan is playing near max potential, and this is a 4 game view, not just the last game vs SF. This team is still searching for identity, they'll find it, but they're not consistent enough to warrant all the As and A+s you were throwing around.

It is all an opinion, no need to think that your ratings supercedes everyone else. Bottom line we are 3-1 so they have played consistent enough to win 3 games.

Offense:

QB's * B+

RB's * C+

WR's * B

TE's * B+

OL * B-

Defense:

LB's * B

CB's * C

FS * B-

SS * C

DL * C

Sp Teams:

K * C+

P * A

KR * C

PR * C

KCV * A

PCV * A

Coaching:

HC * B

OC * C-

DC * C-

STC * A

Okay, C = average, our whole team has not been above average to this point, that's why I graded differently. No one other than Koenan is playing near max potential, and this is a 4 game view, not just the last game vs SF. This team is still searching for identity, they'll find it, but they're not consistent enough to warrant all the As and A+s you were throwing around.

You just took mine and took one letter grade off of everything.

Coaching:

HC * B

OC * C-

DC * C-

STC * A

How are you going to give the DC a C- when the Falcons are 4th in the NFL in points allowed? I don't get it.

Offense:

QB's * B

RB's * B -

WR's * B+

TE's * B+

OL * B

Defense:

LB's * B +

DB's * B +

FS * A

SS * B

DL * C

Sp Teams:

K * B

P * A

LS * A

KR * A

PR * B +

KCV * B +

PCV * B +

Coaching:

HC * A

OC * B

DC * B -

STC * A

Yours?

Aren't our kr like 3rd in the league? If ur in the top 4 or so, gotta give 'em an A IMO.

Also, had to give FS an A, our secondary has played well and haven't given up much in the way of big plays. Ryan missed some throws and was a bit more tentative early in the season, so couldn't really give him an A.also, our D line has been pretty average overall. I couldn't look at it objectively and give them better than a C.

The coaching part I totally agree with.

This could be kinda long but I think grades such as the ones we're giving should be supported with reasoning.

Offense:

QB's * B+ Getting the job done, but Matt has left a number of plays on the field. I tell ya though this guy is a third down machine. A truly rare breed, and I'm not saying that as a Falcon fan, but as a fan of the game of football. This dude is special.

RB's * C Gotta quit fumbling in the redzone, burner! Not heard much from Norwood just yet due to injury, good production from Snelling, and great blocking from him and Ovie.

WR's * A I love this group of WRs. They've shown the ability to do it all, getting open down the field, finding space in zones, out hustling DBs, NOT DROPPING THE BALL. Not a weak one in the bunch. Imagine where we'd be with Douglas in this crew, wow!

TE's * A- A few procedural penalties from Gonzalez. I am absolutely blown away at this guy's hands, I haven't seen anything quite like it. I never realized he was THAT good. Big asset in the blocking game as well. Peelle has made nice blocks and a fine 3rd down 12 yd completion against SF.

OL * A- Haven't had a ton of production on the ground, and I also feel the OL shares responsibility for the fumbles. But this is balanced out by only 2 sacks in 4 games. That's phenomenal! Keep it up!

Defense:

LB's * B I like this group, they all bring different qualities to the defense. Nicholas will knock your block off, Curt will not miss a tackle when he gets his hands on you, and two words for Peterson: BALL SKILLS. This dude knows how to cause turnovers. He has played a necessary role in at least 3 fumbles and 2 INTs. Wouldn't mind seeing a little better gap control from these guys though.

CB's * B- This is another group I have been pleasantly surprised with in terms of pass coverage. The one glaring issue I see from these guys, specifically Grimes is TACKLING, and not just against SF, heck not even just 2009. Gotta wrap up the ball carrier. Brian Williams has far exceeded my expectations in every aspect of the position. He's a definite baller, hope we can hold on to him for a few years. Very little depth here too.

S * D I don't much care for our safeties. Overall, I've seen a lack of hustle and lack of ability to get to the play before it's already succeeded by the offense's design. When these guys blitz, which is rare, they don't apply pressure to the QB, they run right into blockers. Decent coverage ability and horrid angles on runs to the outside. I think they can get better, but they haven't done much that I've seen yet.

DL * B- I love the rotation and I love the athletes. We just gotta make plays at this position! That's all it comes down to! Make a move, then disrupt! Don't mean to oversimplify the position. We have been less than impressive with our gaps, both in the running game, and the lanes of the pass rush. We MUST maintain the integrity of our pass rushing lanes against a QB like Cutler who really creates his own time in the pocket.

Sp Teams:

K * B+ With percentages where they are I can't give the A here haha. But a few thankfully meaningless misses aside, I think Elam is the cream of the crop. As a former kicker myself, this guy has incredible form and great strength and we're in good hands (feet?) with him. Koenen is also doing an incredible job with kickoffs. Had a tremendous first two games. Just looked to NFL.com for stats with Koenen and evidently they're not tracking his kickoff stats...maybe someone could help me out there.

P * C One of the lowest average yards per punt in the league. Nothing that's caused an issue for us so far but I've seen this guy boot the ball and still give coverage an opportunity to make a play. Wouldn't mind seeing him take a step up in his punting game.

KR * B Can't think of any issues we're having in our return game, can think of a few nice runs by Weems. Overall I think our starting field position has been favorable.

PR * C Haven't had much opportunity to make much happen. Nothing really sticks out to me in this department, good or bad.

KCV * A We've done a great job in both of these areas in maintaining our lanes and not letting anything get away from us, I can't even think of an opponent having a 'nice' return against us.

PCV * A ^^^

Coaching:

HC * A++ Smith has handled every victory and defeat with nothing but class. The players and coaches have nothing but amazing things to say about him. Just very wise when it comes to how to approach the game of football as a player in terms of taking care of your body, mental approach to a play, a game, a season, and a career, and positional responsibilities. Us Falcon fans are incredibly lucky to have a guy like Smith at the reins. I can't say enough about him. A football player's dream coach, especially if he can make the playoffs an annual occasion.

OC * B+ I have always been big on Mike Mularkey. He does a great job of assessing the talent he has and making a playbook around them. My one concern is the possibility of him coming out and putting together a timid gameplan, as he did against NE. All in all though he has been another significant piece of this rejuvenated Falcons team.

DC * B While I have my own personal qualms about his playcalling, you can't argue with less than 16 pts/game. I read a great line on these boards somewhere that I think is the perfect line for this guy: Turning chicken s**t into chicken salad :lol: . Keep it up BVG.

STC * A Field position has been a strong suit for us all year, due largely in part to the play of our special teams.

Edited by MattyIce07

Offense:

QB's * A +

RB's * B

WR's * A

TE's * A +

OL * B +

Defense:

LB's * B

DB's * C +

FS * B +

SS * B +(for what was expected of Decoud coming into the season)B -(overall)

DL * C

Sp Teams:

K * B +(after that 1st game I cant give them an A)

P * A +

LS * A +(havent seen any bad LS)

KR * B +

PR * B -(not enough yards)

KCV * A

PCV * A +(1of the best in the league)

Coaching:

HC * A

OC * B

DC * B -

STC * A +

P * C One of the lowest average yards per punt in the league. Nothing that's caused an issue for us so far but I've seen this guy boot the ball and still give coverage an opportunity to make a play. Wouldn't mind seeing him take a step up in his punting game.

Finally someone said it! Koenen really isn't anything special. His net average is among the worst in the NFL (as it was last year), yet everyone is giving him an A because of the return yardage record he set last year. If his kicks are among the shortest in the league there arent going to be many returns, especially when we have very good punt coverage.

Finally someone said it! Koenen really isn't anything special. His net average is among the worst in the NFL (as it was last year), yet everyone is giving him an A because of the return yardage record he set last year. If his kicks are among the shortest in the league there arent going to be many returns, especially when we have very good punt coverage.

Totally agree. I mean if we're talking the punt team in general, I think we do a good job at not giving up free field position and give the punting unit overall kudos. But as long as we're delineating between punter and coverage, I give most the props to the coverage. He's certainly not a bad punter, just more of a role player in our punting scheme and only averaging what a little over 40 yds/punt.