Falcons FB Mughelli seems unlikely to play vs. Bears

Article

Steve Wyche

Falcons FB Mughelli seems unlikely to play vs. Bears

Posted: October 15th, 2009 | Steve Wyche | Tags: Atlanta Falcons, Michael Turner, Mike Smith, Ovie Mughelli, Steve Wyche, Verron Haynes

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — It looks more and more as if the Falcons will not have starting FB Ovie Mughelli for Sunday night’s home game against the Bears.

Mughelli missed his second day of practice Thursday because of a left calf injury, and his return to practice Friday is questionable, Falcons coach Mike Smith said. Mughelli, the lead blocker for RB Michael Turner, sported a walking book in the locker room and walked with a significant limp.

If Mughelli can’t play, backup Verron Haynes could be used. The Falcons also could employ one-back packages in which a tight end/H-back would be used in a fullback-type role.

Smith said he has no hard rule that if a player doesn’t practice, then he can’t play, adding that if Mughelli is cleared by game time, he could suit up. Even so, Mughelli sounded pessimistic about his chances of facing the Bears.

I think Snelling is up to the challenge. He also gives us a different option out of the backfield. He can catch and run. I like Ovie, but I think we are ok if he misses a game.

I'm a little curious to see what Verron Haynes can do also (if he's on the active roster this week). He has gotten high marks from the coaching staff.

None of my books know how to walk............only crawl.

walking_book.jpg

It just takes a little practice! :P

If Ovie can't play, my guess is that Haynes will be activated. He's more of a true FB than Snelling. Not to say that he's an upgrade over Snelling, but he'd be there for depth, and he's still a decent enough player.

I'm a little curious to see what Verron Haynes can do also (if he's on the active roster this week). He has gotten high marks from the coaching staff.

Haynes was active and played in the Patriots game while Norwood hurt and inactive that week.

But remember that the "questionable" means 50-50 Ovie may play

Edited by delaigle