Brees, Ryan thriving when pressure is on

Brees, Ryan thriving when pressure is on

If there’s a common trait between Matt Ryan and Drew Brees, I’d say that it’s the fact you can’t rattle either one of them.

I’ll turn to ESPN Stats & Information for proof. According to our researchers, Brees and Ryan not only do well under pressure, they are even better when it’s turned up. Our researchers have studied every snap taken by Brees and Ryan this season and noted what they’ve done against a standard pass rush and what they’ve done when defenses bring extra rushers.

Brees and Ryan are both notably better when defenses blitz.

Ryan ranks second in the league in pressure situations with a 117.5 quarterback rating. Only Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers (125.6) is better. Brees ranks fourth with a 115.5 rating.

For comparison’s sake, Brees has a 105.6 rating (sixth in the league) against standard pressure. Ryan’s rating is 94.8 (13th in the league).

Against added pressure, Ryan is 29 of 44 for 399 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions. Brees is 23-of-36 for 360 yards with no interceptions and two touchdowns.

How are the rest of the NFC South quarterbacks faring against additional pressure? Not well at all.

Carolina’s Jake Delhomme ranks 38th out of 39 quarterbacks with a 41.1 rating. He’s 17-of-35 for 240 yards with one touchdown and four interceptions.

Tampa Bay’s Byron Leftwich and Josh Johnson have fared only slightly better. Leftwich posted a 63.1 rating before losing his job to Johnson, who has a 52.6 rating.

Carolina’s Jake Delhomme ranks 38th out of 39 quarterbacks with a 41.1 rating. He’s 17-of-35 for 240 yards with one touchdown and four interceptions.

Tampa Bay’s Byron Leftwich and Josh Johnson have fared only slightly better. Leftwich posted a 63.1 rating before losing his job to Johnson, who has a 52.6 rating.

We better bring the heat against TB. We gave Delhomme all day and made him look like a servicable NFL QB.

Carolina's Jake Delhomme ranks 38th out of 39 quarterbacks with a 41.1 rating. He's 17-of-35 for 240 yards with one touchdown and four interceptions.

Wow - there are QBs that aren't even starting that are better at picking up the blitz than Delhomme.

BWAAAA HAAAA HAAAAA!

I gave you a positive rep to take that one away since it was not a post that deserved negative rep.

Thank you, it's not really a big deal about the numbers. I just find it funny that people think they are funny by doing that. I'm quite sure who ever it was will give me a neg rep fot these posts as well. But no biggie, the real posters know me anyways.

Thank you, it's not really a big deal about the numbers. I just find it funny that people think they are funny by doing that. I'm quite sure who ever it was will give me a neg rep fot these posts as well. But no biggie, the real posters know me anyways.

I know the feeling, people ding me with negative reps simply because of my username at this point. I wish they would remove the rep system, its more harm than good.