Evans decision on dome against Tech.

SacFalcFan

After some initial thought, Georgia will not play Georgia Tech in the 2011 opener at the Georgia Dome.

The game had been proposed recently by the Atlanta Sports Council, but Evans said it was not in the University's best interest to accept the deal.

"After careful consideration, we did not think in the final analysis it was in the best interest of our football program to play the game as a season opener in 2011," athletic director Damon Evans said in a statement. "I think the most significant factor was that we did not want to give up the home game that year and make a change in the current home game rotation with Georgia Tech."

Had the Bulldogs accepted the deal, the school would have had to get out of its contract with Louisville. The Cardinals and Bulldogs are scheduled to kick off in the 2011 season-opener set for Sept. 3. Georgia will play at Georgia Tech in 2011 on Nov. 26.

If the game at the Georgia Dome had gone through, it would have also have been one less home game for the Bulldogs, something Evans was not willing to sacrifice. Along with the Cardinals, Georgia's 2011 home slate includes games against South Carolina, Coastal Carolina, Mississippi State, New Mexico State, Auburn and Kentucky.

Another article on it:

Another article

After seeing what the game would mean to future schedules i am very happy damon made this decision. If we had to change the home and home years then we would not be playing at home for the month of november every other year.

Agreed, at first I like the Idea, but the more I thought about it the more I disliked it. It's an in state rivalry and should be kept for the last game of the regular season. I would like for UGA to see about getting a Dome game against Miami or FSU. I believe in 2012 & 2013 UGA has setup a home and home with Clemson. Maybe they could use one of those games for a season opener in the Dome.

Agreed, at first I like the Idea, but the more I thought about it the more I disliked it. It's an in state rivalry and should be kept for the last game of the regular season. I would like for UGA to see about getting a Dome game against Miami or FSU. I believe in 2012 & 2013 UGA has setup a home and home with Clemson. Maybe they could use one of those games for a season opener in the Dome.

Those two teams used to have an incredible rivalry.

yep it was, but i am glad we have one less rivalry game on our schedule..

I understand what you mean, but there are a few regional rivalries that would generate huge interest if they played them regularly. And Clemson / UGA is a huge one. I wish we could get NC/SC to be an every year thing too.

I understand what you mean, but there are a few regional rivalries that would generate huge interest if they played them regularly. And Clemson / UGA is a huge one. I wish we could get NC/SC to be an every year thing too.

UGA has way too many long term rivals. I loved that game and rivalry, but I am soo very happy it's not an every year game anymore. You are right it would be a huge game yearly if they played, but that would require clemson being a legit team as well.

I was told that the reason they were considering this was to offset the years its at Tech/UGA because Tech's schedule as it stands is loaded with big home games one year but not the next (so they wanted balance). If thats the case why not just play it in one site 2 yrs in a row? I wouldnt even mind if it were in athens because if the issue is having all your huge selling games in one year- its not like those games are going anywhere...