Your Fanhood:Fantasy Football

ConnFalcon

I just wanted to share this quick story because it made me sick, as well as irritated.

I was talking to this guy, whom is an acquaintance. We began talking about the win and what not, and he got on the topic of his fantasy team. The gist of what he said was: "Well, I do want our team to win this week, but I need Ryan, Roddy and Gonzo to suck or else I will lose. Maybe the defense will score some touchdowns. And I also need Forte to do well, so I will be rooting for him" (Something along those lines) I thought he was joking at first, but he was dead serious. Normally, I would just call someone like that an idiot and walk away but he wouldn't let go the fact that I thought that was the most moronic thing I have ever heard.

We got into a heated debate for like 20 mins on the issue of fanhood. I told him he wasn't a real fan, and he was fuming. His main argument was, he didn't want us to lose, justt for some of our players to not play up to par. I told him that if you are rooting for ANY of your players to fail, and then on top of that root for the RB on the opposing fan then you are a fan of FOOTBALL; not of the Atlanta Falcons. He said ohhh I have all the Falcons gear from blankets to hats. I told him thats great, but that doesn't make you a true fan. I can go out and spend 400 bucks on Steelers stuff, but that doesn't make me a true fan because I won't be rooting for their players to succeed. It just went back and forth for like 20 mins.

I finally just walked away because it was extremely frustrating. I am a fantasy football player, and I enjoy it. But I only take it so far. I don't care if the person I am playing has the entire Falcons roster going, I will ALWAYS choose my team in real life over any stupid fantasy matchup.

I just wanted to share this story becuase it drove me nuts, and see what you all think about it.

thats why i drafted matt ryan, tony gonzalez, michael turner, roddy white and jason elam....i wont have to go up against them and they get to help my team out but yeah dude doesnt like a true fan. In this occasion you forget about fantasy football for the week and just root for your team

What he said.

Except I didn't pick early enough to get Turner.

I remember a few years back when Horn was actually the Saints best receiver I had him on my roster while I was at the GA Dome. It seemed like Horn had a 150+ yard day and believe me when he scored either his 2nd or 3rd TD I was not cheering in the stands. On the other hand I have seen people chose every available Falcon on their roster on some pretty lean years.

The fact that some people can not separate "Fantasy" football from real life is just odd to me and quite frankly creates some really foolish talk for some when debating the real game.

A player (and good friend) in one of my FF leagues isn't starting Roddy White this week because he is a Bear fan!! We have $600 bucks on the line in the league and he benches his best receiver. :blink:

My question is this: Is he a moron or a true fan?

Now THAT is dedication right there!

"Well, I do want our team to win this week, but I need Ryan, Roddy and Gonzo to suck or else I will lose. Maybe the defense will score some touchdowns. And I also need Forte to do well, so I will be rooting for him"

That's pretty crazy, cause I have Ryan, Roddy, and Gonzo and the guy I'm playing this week has Forte. Maybe I'm in the same league as this bozo :P.

A player (and good friend) in one of my FF leagues isn't starting Roddy White this week because he is a Bear fan!! We have $600 bucks on the line in the league and he benches his best receiver. :blink:

YOur friend is trippin, Having money >>>> displaying yoru a True fan

So if he keeps Roddy out of his fantasy lineup does he think that will keep the real Roddy from performing well?

I talked to a couple Niner fans whose only relief was that they had White and Turner on their Fantasy teams. Pretty funny. That said, when I watch the Falcons, the last thing on my mind is my Fantasy team. I have Forte as my RB, and I will be pulling for a big goose egg to be laid by him.