Just a Few Stats

Vicious

If there was an all important stat to look at, I think it would be points scored and points allowed. The Falcons are now ranked as the 9th best offense with 25.5 points for game. They are 13th in yards per game with 346.5. The passing offense ranks at 14th with 240.3 yards per game, while they are 15th in rushing offense at 106.3 yards per game.

Defensively, they rank as the fifth best defense at 15.8 points per game, and are 20th in yards per game at 355.8. The passing defense ties for 22nd with 228.8 yards per game, while the rush defense is 24th with 127 yards per game. This goes to show that you can get as many yards as you want, but if you can't put the ball into the endzone then it's all for not. This defense may not stop teams from piling up yardarge all that well, but they dang sure keep folks from scoring when they get into scoring position.

You are definitely right about that. But to hold the stats of high amount of yards and not that many points you have to force turnovers which we have really excelled at, but its kind of risky to allow many yards in case you dont force no turnovers

You are definitely right about that. But to hold the stats of high amount of yards and not that many points you have to force turnovers which we have really excelled at, but its kind of risky to allow many yards in case you dont force no turnovers

I think that's the thing about this year. We weren't getting any turnovers and were staying a little better than the middle of the pack teams last year. This year the D is getting turnovers almost every game and the offense is getting points off of them.

My personal opinion is points allowed is a misleading stat, and to a lesser extent so is yards allowed. Points allowed is affected by so many variables. To name a few: the quality of your offense (and by extension, time of possession), turnovers, field position, special teams. Yards allowed is a better stat, but that presumes your offense isn't totally inept and is also subject to variables.

In my opinion, the best benchmarks are 3rd down possessions defended as well as 3 and outs. When you look at 3rd down percentage on NFL.com, you get a pretty good read on the best D's. It's hardly perfect, but that's what I look at. I've never found a site that lists 3rd and outs. Incidentally, the Falcons aren't good at defending 3rd down. They've also played a comparatively more difficult schedule than most teams which is yet another factor that skews defensive stats on the whole.

Stats are misleading. We'll give up tons of yards if we keep jumping on top of people because they have to throw the ball to catch up. This tends to make teams take chances and we either stop them or get a takeaway so they get the yards but not the points.

In other words, if the offense is hot, the defense will look good for points but bad for yards.