BRING ON DA BEARS!

Hey Guys

Great win yesterday. Very impressive to say the least as I think the 49ers have a good team especially on defense. Bears fan here. I have confidence in my team and while I'd love to get revenge for handing you guys that game last year in the final seconds I'm not sure how we can stop the mighty Falcon offense.

You guys have very good skill players and a great O-Line to protect the franchise QB. I will hope for a Bears win but in all honesty I hope we keep it close and don't get embarrassed on national TV. This will easily be the best offense the Bears have faced to this point.

I'm not sure of the strengths/weaknesses of your defense. Can you guys shed some light? I know the Bears have the best special teams in football (by a wide margin) but that's all I can count on for this game. I hope to talk some football this week and hopefully we see a good game that's injury free. Thanks

DC

Hey Guys

Great win yesterday. Very impressive to say the least as I think the 49ers have a good team especially on defense. Bears fan here. I have confidence in my team and while I'd love to get revenge for handing you guys that game last year in the final seconds I'm not sure how we can stop the mighty Falcon offense.

You guys have very good skill players and a great O-Line to protect the franchise QB. I will hope for a Bears win but in all honesty I hope we keep it close and don't get embarrassed on national TV. This will easily be the best offense the Bears have faced to this point.

I'm not sure of the strengths/weaknesses of your defense. Can you guys shed some light? I know the Bears have the best special teams in football (by a wide margin) but that's all I can count on for this game. I hope to talk some football this week and hopefully we see a good game that's injury free. Thanks

DC

That's the kind of fans I love coming from other teams, the kind that know they will lose. When our defense shows up they play lights out; however, in some games that have been MIA. Our defense seems weak when you look at yards per game, but as far as points per game we are 5th in the NFL, and number 2 in the NFC The 49ers were 2nd last week before we played them and now they are 14th, but you already said you knew about our O. Your special teams might be good, but our special team is no pushover either. Set a record last year and last game only allowed 2 yards on punt returns. I can't find any special teams stats, but yeah we are good there too.

Edit: Sorry read wrong we are number 2 in the NFC

Edited by CoachPetrino

Matt moved the ball very effectively against the Bears last year (his first 300-yard passing game). Taking into account a year's growth since then, we have every reason to expect another impressive offensive performance this week.

Have the Bears added any defensive personnel over the offseason that will present additional challenges than those we faced when meeting last year?

Hey Guys

DC

thanks for the compliments and welcome to the boards!!

I would say that our D is steadily improving. our dline was very questionable agains carolina and new england but showed up big yesterday! they rotate alot and it works well for the personell that we have! Abraham is gonna give Pace fits IMO! our secondary is beatable (mostly cris houston)(yes i know that is my "name" ---only cause i dont know how to change it) we are getting great play from our safeties and our unit as a whole is comming together!!

I agree your special teams are great, but i think our special teams coverage is 2nd to none!

its nice to see you here and i hope these guys go easy on you cause it seems that your not here to stir things up!!

good luck on sunday night!

I have no interest in stirring up garbage on other team's boards. That's not cool. Just wanna talk some football.

To answer an earlier question regarding defensive personnel on the Bears, here is what I can tell you 2008 vs. what you'll see Sunday:

Subtractions: Brian Urlacher MLB--out for the season with dislocated wrist

Mike Brown FS--KC Chiefs

Nate Vasher CB--Bench

Dusty Dvoracek DT-out for season torn ACL

Kevin Payne SS--now comes in on nickel only

These guys were all starters in 2008 and only Payne and possibly Vasher will play Sunday.

Additions/New Starters: Anthony Adams DT-Good run stuffer next to Tommie Harris--max effort guy

Nick Roach MLB-athletic, good in coverage, sure tackler, not the biggest guy

Pisa Tinoisamoa SLB-returning from knee injury Week 1. Rescued from Rams.

had a very good camp/pre season. versatile. sure tackler.

Al Afalava SS-Rookie 6th rounder has been rock solid thus far. He will be tested

Zack Bowman CB-Big rangy corner. very talented. young. he will be tested.

Danieal Manning FS-phenominal athlete. tremendous speed. versatile. will line up everywhere. football ability finally caught up to his world class athletic ability

The biggest additions to the defense are not in personnel however. The biggest additions were 3 significant coaching changes.

1. Lovie Smith is calling the defense and he's been very good bringing pressure and making in-game adjustments

2. Rod Marinelli was hired as the D-Line coach and he's been tremendous. Bears D-Line has brought consistent pressure all season.

3. Jon Hoke was brought in as secondary coach and the D-backs have been an answer and prior to the season they were a huge question mark. They have allowed 1 big pass play all season and they have been sure tacklers. That's telling because the Bears blitz a lot.

As I said earlier......this is the Bears biggest test thus far, especially trying to slow the Falcon offense. Bears defense built on speed will be very fast on the turf in Atlanta but not sure they can slow them down enough. My biggest fear is Turner going nuts behind the huge line and a lighter defensive front for Chicago. Bears will likely be without Israel Idonije who is a good versatile D-Lineman.

Hope this report helps.

I have no interest in stirring up garbage on other team's boards. That's not cool. Just wanna talk some football.

To answer an earlier question regarding defensive personnel on the Bears, here is what I can tell you 2008 vs. what you'll see Sunday:

Mike Brown FS--KC Chiefs

Nate Vasher CB--Bench

These guys were all starters in 2008 and only Payne and possibly Vasher will play Sunday.

Additions/New Starters: Anthony Adams DT-Good run stuffer next to Tommie Harris--max effort guy

Al Afalava SS-Rookie 6th rounder has been rock solid thus far. He will be tested

Danieal Manning FS-phenominal athlete. tremendous speed. versatile. will line up everywhere. football ability finally caught up to his world class athletic ability

The biggest additions to the defense are not in personnel however. The biggest additions were 3 significant coaching changes.

1. Lovie Smith is calling the defense and he's been very good bringing pressure and making in-game adjustments

2. Rod Marinelli was hired as the D-Line coach and he's been tremendous. Bears D-Line has brought consistent pressure all season.

3. Jon Hoke was brought in as secondary coach and the D-backs have been an answer and prior to the season they were a huge question mark. They have allowed 1 big pass play all season and they have been sure tacklers. That's telling because the Bears blitz a lot.

As I said earlier......this is the Bears biggest test thus far, especially trying to slow the Falcon offense. Bears defense built on speed will be very fast on the turf in Atlanta but not sure they can slow them down enough. My biggest fear is Turner going nuts behind the huge line and a lighter defensive front for Chicago. Bears will likely be without Israel Idonije who is a good versatile D-Lineman.

Hope this report helps.

Exactly what I was interested in! Thanks for such a detailed breakdown. Should be some good match-ups in there, I'm excited to see what Matty and Co. can accomplish Sunday!

Edited by BCEaGleATLFaLcOn

Mike Brown FS--KC Chiefs

Nate Vasher CB--Bench

Hope this report helps.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope it's as good of a game as it was last year. Really informative post you have there. Thanks for that.

You guys will be our biggest defensive test this year as well. As far as your earlier question, our secondary is our weakest point on the team, although it looked the best it has this year vs the 49'ers. Our DLine looks alive again. LB still looking solid as well as the safeties, and we're still getting better there.

We're probably going to be looking at incorporating William Moore and Tye Hill in the game vs you guys, probably with moderation. I'm hoping we have Tye in there to match up against Hester, otherwise we could see some big plays from Devin.

You guys match up closely with the Pats, and we didn't look so hot back thing. Hopefully we bring it twice in a row and come out with a comfortable win.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mike Peterson lay some hits on his brother Adrian :). Actually, I went to GA. Southern, where Adrian played and I've been pulling for him since he went to the bears, but obviously not this game. Hasn't he had a decent year so far? I think it will be fun to see two brothers playing against each other.

Bears fan, the Falcons biggest weakness so far is a straight ahead power running attack featuring, of course, a big strong back. Teams that do this have successs against Atlanta's defense. However if our offense starts scoring points and the Bears have to get away from power running the ball, then the Bears are in trouble. True Cutler is a good QB, however the Falcons do have a good pass rush.

Of course this is what happened to SF, thier QB was not up to bringing his team back, mainly because he was scrambling for his life. In fact Hill had more yards 'rushing' than the starting RB, if I am not mistaken.

That reminds me, how fast is Cutler, is he a good scrambler?

Jay Cutler has excellent mobility and scrambling ability. He keeps plays alive with his feet very well for a guy that weighs 235. He's strong. Not easy to sack. I would guess you'd see him on the move quite a bit in this game on waggles and designed moving pockets.

Adrian Peterson (the original AP :lol: ) unfortunately is out for a couple weeks with a knee injury. Bears a little thin at RB now.

Jay Cutler has excellent mobility and scrambling ability. He keeps plays alive with his feet very well for a guy that weighs 235. He's strong. Not easy to sack. I would guess you'd see him on the move quite a bit in this game on waggles and designed moving pockets.

Adrian Peterson (the original AP :lol: ) unfortunately is out for a couple weeks with a knee injury. Bears a little thin at RB now.

Thanks for the info. on Adrian Peterson, I didn't realize he was hurt. At least I wont have to cheer against him. Would have been cool to see brothers playing each other, especially since they are a linebacker and a running back.

DC

First of all, thanks for the props.

Now, for your question...our greatest weakness on defense is our youth. Youth leads to inconsistency. Some games our d-line plays the run well, then they will look bad. Some games our d-line gets pressure on the QB, then the next we can't touch the QB. Our corners are not great, but they are servicable and don't make many mistakes (they don't make many plays either, though). B Williams is the only exception to this rule so far. He and Peterson (our WLB) have some spooky thing going on that they must have brought with them from Jacksonville. Pete, to this point, has accounted for two FF that Williams recovered (I believe this is the number) and a tipped pass that Williams picked off (against the Niners) while Williams blocked a punt that Pete caught and returned. But I digress. Our line is more talented than our secondary, so if they play well, our D looks good. If they don't, our D looks bad. It's really that simple (but isn't it always?).

Oh yeah, don't sleep on our special teams. I know you guys have great return units. You always do. But we set the record last year for fewest return yards (punts) in a season (50 something for the entire year) and our kickoff coverage is usually top 5 in the league. Simply put, we are not worried in the least about your returners because we can and should neutralize them.