Defensive Line Shuffle Works for 'Birds

xFalconLord

http://news.falconlord.com

Key Changes in Defensive Line Sparks 'Birds

11 October 2009

091B7FD695954BC1AAB4197E81E8AE10.jpg

Without a football game to prepare for and coming off a brutal loss in Foxborough, the Falcons brass did not rest on their laurels. The Falcons focused on the run game on both sides of the ball. Not particularly shocking was the abrupt end to the Thomas Johnson and Trey Lewis show at defensive tackle. When the Birds lined up in San Francisco it was Jamaal Anderson who started the game beside Jonathan Babineaux. Kroy Biermann started his first game of the season at left defensive end opposite John Abraham.

A great move by the Falcons coaching staff paid huge dividends early. A 14-10 Falcons lead was under assault mid-way through the second quarter. Niners QB Shaun Hill faced 3rd down and 7 from Atlanta's 30 yard line. Kroy Biermann, speeding off the left edge, abused Joe Staley and sacked Hill for a loss of 6 yards, knocking San Fran out of field goal range. The ensuing possession turned into a long Roddy White TD reception, seizing control of the game for Atlanta in the blink of an eye. Has Kroy Biermann earned a starting spot on the defensive line? All signs point to the affirmative. Way to go kid!

I think Jamaal has found a niche at NT for this team as well. He can really help us in there with Jerry being out for the season. I dont think hes a long term solution, but he is certainly a help until we can find someone dominant. I think Jamaal not starting today may have taken some pressure off of him. He played the best game of the season thus far, which is a start.