My early Mock Offseason

WoTFan

We will assume that 2010 is an uncapped year.

That means that Dahl, Clabo, and Norwood would all be restricted free agents. We keep all three through that way.

We will try to get rid of Jammal Anderson through a trade. If we don't he might not make it through final cuts next year.

Free Agents: Nearly 200 players who would be free agents won't be thanks to the uncapped years (due to RFA move and the new tags). Only Free agents we would be able to get would be older veterens.

Leigh Bodden: He would instantly allow us to play more man. He struggled in Detroit's Cover 2. Probably won't be tagged by the Patriots, though I could be wrong.

He would be the only high profile signing.

Draft:

1: DE, Derrick Morgan: An elite pass rusher who has the bulk to play the run really well.

3: OLB, Stevenson Sylvester: Underrated OLB because he plays on Utah. His stock right now is a 3rd round. I expect it to sadly go up before the draft.

4: OT, Kyle Calloway: Played LT for Iowa before Bryan Bulaga came in. An elite run blocking tackle and a good pass blocker. Will fall because of his drunk driving incident on a Mo-ped. He took responsibility for that action and has no other character problems.

5: DT, Demarcus Granger: The other Oklahoma DT. Battled through foot injuries in 08. When healthy he is a great run defender and gets good push into the backfield.

6: C, Josh McNeil: Was a really highly regarded Center before the disastrous 2008 season for Tennessee.

Edited by WoTFan

We will assume that 2010 is an uncapped year.

That means that Dahl, Clabo, and Norwood would all be restricted free agents. We keep all three through that way.

We will try to get rid of Jammal Anderson through a trade. If we don't he might not make it through final cuts next year.

Free Agents: Nearly 200 players who would be free agents won't be thanks to the uncapped years (due to RFA move and the new tags). Only Free agents we would be able to get would be older veterens.

Leigh Bodden: He would instantly allow us to play more man. He struggled in Detroit's Cover 2. Probably won't be tagged by the Patriots, though I could be wrong.

He would be the only high profile signing.

Draft:

1: DE, Derrick Morgan: An elite pass rusher who has the bulk to play the run really well.

3: OLB, Stevenson Sylvester: Underrated OLB because he plays on Utah. His stock right now is a 3rd round. I expect it to sadly go up before the draft.

4: OT, Kyle Calloway: Played LT for Iowa before Bryan Bulaga came in. And elite run blocking tackle and a good pass blocker. Will fall because of his drunk driving incident on a Mo-ped. He took responsibility for that action and has no other character problems.

5: DT, Demarcus Granger: The other Oklahoma DT. Battled through foot injuries in 08. When healthy he is a great run defender and gets good push into the backfield.

6: C, Josh McNeil: Was a really high regarded Center before the disastrous 2008 season for Tennessee.

Pretty Good Mock, besides any mock that has Derrick Morgan is good by me. I would replace the OLB with a TE and call it a day.

Good job

Granger has really fallen off the map. He has a shop lifting incident in his past. That may turn off Blank. However, you have a good mock going for this stage in the season.

I think that we have to address the DT position. I don't know how bad Jerry's injury was, but it will affect his explosiveness. We need a big man to close rushing lanes. Let's keep an eye on Granger.

IMO we already have the replacement in Adkins, who runs a 4.3 at 250

Who wasn't even a starter at Miami. You are thinking too much like Al Davis.

You don't just become a good player because a coach makes you. You have to have something in there from yourself.

I love Sly. He would be my pick for OLB. If not him then it would be Muckelroy. I also like Calloway. I would prefer Bulaga but I will take Calloway. He recently got a DUI and hasn't been playing like himself. But your mock aint bad. I still would like to draft Murphy at CB though. And I really like Ulatoski at OT.

Edited by hawkeye

You don't just become a good player because a coach makes you. You have to have something in there from yourself.

**** Lebow really liked Adkins .... The Steelers really wanted Adkins..... I remember hearing a Steeler scout saying that Adkins remind them of a young James Harrison (who was also a UDFA and cut multiple times)...... We did not cut Adkins because not only do the coaching staff think Adkins can be a player but also if we cut Adkins the Giants and Steelers would have claimed him..... I'm not saying the guy is going to be a super star but he has the talent.... If you go by that no playing time in college then Willie Parker, Tom Brady, and Matt Cassel are bums.... Just because a player did not start in college does not mean he cant be a better NFL player then college player.

Nice draft, especially like the later picks.

Has McNeil really fallen that low?

McNeil hasn't played this season.

He has had 5 knee surgeries so far in his career.

He is playing against medical advice as per this article

Also, from 2007:

Tennessee center Josh McNeil has a history of problems with alcohol, including a public intoxication and underage drinking charge that kept him out of five spring practices

He would be a major risk/reward pick - I think the 6th is the highest I can see him going.

**** Lebow really liked Adkins .... The Steelers really wanted Adkins..... I remember hearing a Steeler scout saying that Adkins remind them of a young James Harrison (who was also a UDFA and cut multiple times)...... We did not cut Adkins because not only do the coaching staff think Adkins can be a player but also if we cut Adkins the Giants and Steelers would have claimed him..... I'm not saying the guy is going to be a super star but he has the talent.... If you go by that no playing time in college then Willie Parker, Tom Brady, and Matt Cassel are bums.... Just because a player did not start in college does not mean he cant be a better NFL player then college player.

You put way too much faith into a 5th rounder. Adkins will probably be a career backup.

Tom Brady and James Harrison are exceptions. That happens very rarely and to say, "A 5th rounder who didn't even start in college will replace Peterson in 2 years" is totally stupid as of right now.

You put way too much faith into a 5th rounder. Adkins will probably be a career backup.

Tom Brady and James Harrison are exceptions. That happens very rarely and to say, "A 5th rounder who didn't even start in college will replace Peterson in 2 years" is totally stupid as of right now.

I'm not putting faith in anything..... I dont know what Adkins can do or become......I'm also not going too say he cant do it because he was a 5th round pick....

Scouts even said that Miami miss used Adkins......I'm not automatically saying Adkins is the future starter.....i just know he is a young guy that's raw with all the physical tools... I dont know what he is goung to do but I'm not going to count the man out.

You said we don't need to draft a linebacker because we already have his replacement. We have no idea if we do or not, but the statistics say he probably isn't.

I hope that you understand that the difference between a 3rd round LB and a 5th round LB might not be that much to look at either as a answer to starting. I am just going off what has happened thus far. The Coaching staff has added that same 5th round to the 53 man roster. The FO/ Coaching Staff chose that same 5th round to the 53 man roster over a proven Starting Vet in Jamie Winborn. I am going to go with the Coaching staff who seems to be really happy with the Adkins pick and feels that this kid has some great measureables over a poster that feels like just because you are a 5th round pick you dont have the talent to be a starter.

You said we don't need to draft a linebacker because we already have his replacement. We have no idea if we do or not, but the statistics say he probably isn't.

Dude... please look at my posts and tell me where i said that..... I never said that.... Heck... In my mock draft i had a LB in it.

I think Adkins has the ability but you cant have blind faith in anything.....

Dude... please look at my posts and tell me where i said that..... I never said that.... Heck... In my mock draft i had a LB in it.

I think Adkins has the ability but you cant have blind faith in anything.....

Jbo dont stud that dude. Read the top statement, that has got the be the dumbest thing i have ever read. WotFan please go back a re-read that because you didnt make any sense. I understand that I may have much more faith in Adkins potential, but you dont make any sense dude.

Jbo dont stud that dude. Read the top statement, that has got the be the dumbest thing i have ever read. WotFan please go back a re-read that because you didnt make any sense. I understand that I may have much more faith in Adkins potential, but you dont make any sense dude.

He is saying that you are looking too much into his size and 40 time instead of what he actually did on the field in college..... similar to Al Davis.

But it is a given that Adkins has great measureables, but the fact that he has never been a consistent starter concerns me too. The Steelers my have liked him, but they run the 3-4. He can be a 3-4 OLB who primarily rushes the passer..... a bunch of guys can do that.

In 4-3 It is more about his coverage ability, and overall football instincts. I don't think James Harrison or Shawne Merriman could be 4-3 OLBs. Adkins is very a similar them.

Maybe he works out or maybe he doesn't.... I just won't deny a good OLB in the 1st or 2nd round this upcoming draft.

He is saying that you are looking too much into his size and 40 time instead of what he actually did on the field in college..... similar to Al Davis.

But it is a given that Adkins has great measureables, but the fact that he has never been a consistent starter concerns me too. The Steelers my have liked him, but they run the 3-4. He can be a 3-4 OLB who primarily rushes the passer..... a bunch of guys can do that.

In 4-3 It is more about his coverage ability, and overall football instincts. I don't think James Harrison or Shawne Merriman could be 4-3 OLBs. Adkins is very a similar them.

Maybe he works out or maybe he doesn't.... I just won't deny a good OLB in the 1st or 2nd round this upcoming draft.

Well given that the coaches see him on a daily basis in practices, heck even Mike Peterson has noticed this Kids speed during practices and says that he see a lot of potential in this kid. The Giants wanted the kid too and they are a 4-3 team, and would have stuck him at LB, so you statement about 3-4 teams is invalid, and James Harrision also covers too, he just doesnt only rush the passer. I just think that the Coaching staff has alot of faith in this kid and feel he can be a starter one day, which is the reason why he is on the 53 man roster, and not on the practice squad that most 5th round pick find themselves on. So i am going to go with the faith that the Coaching staff has in their 5th round pick that they made. Look at another 5th round pick in Beirmann. Heck even Thomas Decoud wasnt a standout starter until his senior year. I know it is know guarantee that Adkins or heck even the OLB that we draft in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round is going to work out. I just know that with Adkins Measurables his success is up to him at this point, how well he is able to translate what he learns onto the field and his desire to continuously improve. So I know what you are talking about Hakim, but Wotfan still doesnt make any sense with what he said.

Adkins didn't start at Miami. atljbo is thinking like Al Davis because he runs a fast 40 for a LB.

A coach can't make a good player. You have to have the talent and the "want to" to be a good player.

What didn't make sense? Adkins has great measuables but didn't show any "want to" in college. Why should we believe anything will change?

The kid made the roster because he can play special teams.

Adkins didn't start at Miami. atljbo is thinking like Al Davis because he runs a fast 40 for a LB.

A coach can't make a good player. You have to have the talent and the "want to" to be a good player.

What didn't make sense? Adkins has great measuables but didn't show any "want to" in college. Why should we believe anything will change?

The kid made the roster because he can play special teams.

Great Coaches, Great Teams seem to bring out the best in players. Adkins has enough talent to get him drafted. Adkins has enough talent to earn him a spot on the 53 man roster over 27 other players that didnt make the 53 man roster. He does have talent that is the reason why he was drafted unless you are doubting our entire scouting department. A coach can make a good player, that is another dumb statement, that is the reason why we have coaches to make our players that want to be better better. We dont know what went on at the University of Miami, the whole progam was in disarray which is the reason why they have a new Coach in Randy Shannon. Dude just stop, you are continuing not to make any sense Wotfan. YOu still cool in my book, and i still like your mock, but your whole assessment of Adkins and why he cant be a starter is ******** dude.

I'm not doubting his talent or our scouting department. And I'm not saying Adkins CAN'T be a starter. I'm saying we shouldn't take that for granted because their is a reason he fell to the 5th round. And their is a reason why so many late rounders fail.

And good coaching BY ITSELF can not make a good player. You have to have initiative from the player. Look at Roddy. He did not realize his potential until he got his mind right.

I tend to agree with those who don't think Adkins will be a starter. Of course we don't know for sure, but he will be given time to play on special teams and develop. I certainly think the notion that he will develop for a year on special teams with little playing time at Miami and step in and replace Peterson next year is a poor assumption. I think he is a long term project that will require a couple years of development, but even then I think his talent probably projects best to the ILB spot or the SLB spot. The SLB usually comes off the field in nickel situations so even if he didn't excel in coverage (similar to how Nicholas doesn't excel in coverage) it wouldn't be a huge liability. Obviously he is a ways away from even being able to do that, but I think his talent as a potential blitzer would be best suited at the ILB position (perhaps in some packages he could come in to blitz) or at SLB. So I envision him developing behind Nicholas at SLB while he plays special teams. Maybe in a couple years he will challenge for some playing time. I just don't think he projects well to the WLB position, but that is just me I guess.

I certainly don't think Adkins' raw talent warrants us passing on an OLB in the 3rd round. You said there isn't that big of a difference between drafting a LB in the 3rd or the 5th, but it obviously depends on the player. Drafting a player like Roddrick Muckelroy (who I really like) in the 3rd and drafting Adkins in the 5th is totally different. Muckelroy would have the luxury of playing special teams for a season and developing behind Peterson at WLB, then he would likely be ready to start as a 2nd year player. Adkins has the same opportunity to develop for a year now, but I sincerely doubt he will be starting next year, especially in favor of Peterson at WLB. So in that sense, there is a great difference between the LB drafted in round 3 and the LB drafted in round 5 simply because there will probably be LB's who will be drafted in the 3rd that could use a year of seasoning before starting versus Adkins who is a project player drafted in the 5th because of his raw speed and athletic ability.

I tend to agree with those who don't think Adkins will be a starter. Of course we don't know for sure, but he will be given time to play on special teams and develop. I certainly think the notion that he will develop for a year on special teams with little playing time at Miami and step in and replace Peterson next year is a poor assumption. I think he is a long term project that will require a couple years of development, but even then I think his talent probably projects best to the ILB spot or the SLB spot. The SLB usually comes off the field in nickel situations so even if he didn't excel in coverage (similar to how Nicholas doesn't excel in coverage) it wouldn't be a huge liability. Obviously he is a ways away from even being able to do that, but I think his talent as a potential blitzer would be best suited at the ILB position (perhaps in some packages he could come in to blitz) or at SLB. So I envision him developing behind Nicholas at SLB while he plays special teams. Maybe in a couple years he will challenge for some playing time. I just don't think he projects well to the WLB position, but that is just me I guess.

I certainly don't think Adkins' raw talent warrants us passing on an OLB in the 3rd round. You said there isn't that big of a difference between drafting a LB in the 3rd or the 5th, but it obviously depends on the player. Drafting a player like Roddrick Muckelroy (who I really like) in the 3rd and drafting Adkins in the 5th is totally different. Muckelroy would have the luxury of playing special teams for a season and developing behind Peterson at WLB, then he would likely be ready to start as a 2nd year player. Adkins has the same opportunity to develop for a year now, but I sincerely doubt he will be starting next year, especially in favor of Peterson at WLB. So in that sense, there is a great difference between the LB drafted in round 3 and the LB drafted in round 5 simply because there will probably be LB's who will be drafted in the 3rd that could use a year of seasoning before starting versus Adkins who is a project player drafted in the 5th because of his raw speed and athletic ability.

I dont think he will start next year either, and i doubt if a LB that we draft next year will start either unless Peterson gets injured or his plays falls of tremendously, which I believe wont happen. I think Peterson will start both years of his contract, which means that Adkins will have two years to learn and develop with a great Coaching staff and a Vet LB in Peterson serving as a Mentor. During the Preseason Adkins lined up at the Weakside. Adkins is listed on the depth chart behind Peterson at the weakside, not ILB, or SLB. All of our LB blitz in our system, so it really doesnt matter who blitzes. So you can throw that notion of him being a ILB or the SLB out the window. One thing i listened too during the Miami/Jets games was how important the Jets OLIne coach is to the success ,of the Jets OLine. The commentator stated that Bill Callahan broke down the assignments to a level that made it easier for them to understand what they have to do on a given play. This is a prime example of what a good positional coach/teacher can do for a NFL player. None of us know why Miami didnt use Adkins more, so i wont go into that. I do know that the FO/Coaching staff raves over Adkins measureables and his potential, even Peterson has mentioned Adkins speed. I tend to trust our scouting team/FO and our Coaching staff to develop our talent on our roster, Unless i see otherwise. Decoud was a late bloomer/starter at Cal, and was drafted in the 3rd round in 2008, he didnt get one start in 2008, and only played special teams yet he is starting and playing pretty well. I tend to give go with the FO actions on our players especially if I have not seen the player in action. Right now the actions of the FO tend to point towards them liking what they have in Adkins, and until something different with my own eyes I am going to lean towards the professionals. Dont be suprised next year if we dont draft a LB until late in the draft, Just Saying

Much Respect to my peoples in NFL Draft/FA forum