CB Jerome Murphy

hawkeye

All season I have been talking about Verner, but Verner is too small. I like Murphy's size and physicality. He

is also great on ST. Earlier this year I saw a mock draft where he was considered a sleeper. He is no sleeper.

MOF I hope everybody sleeps on him except TD. Go head and bring Jerome to the house TD!!!!

He also runs a 4.48 40 with good ball skills and hips. Projected 2nd rd.

Edited by hawkeye

he's in my latest mock as a 3rd rounder, but could easily go in the first as long as USF stays highly ranked and he keeps impressing. As far as a combination of size, speed, physicality and ball skills, I think Murphy is the leader of the pack.

I think that the closest he gets in the 2nd. I do agree that he has great size and speed and is very physical.

I think that the closest he gets in the 2nd. I do agree that he has great size and speed and is very physical.

yea, realistically I dont even think he sniffs the 3rd round especially with the stats he's putting up year in and year out. but these drafts have been known to throw some curves as of recent. He is the most complete package out of the cornerback group even with juniors that may declare. I'd rank them:

1. Murphy (Uses all his tools especially well. added a few extra pounds....think Al Harris)

2. Lindley (I question his dedication. Seems to rely more on his size factor....think Leigh Bodden)

3. Thompson (height is an issue, but has outstanding instincts and plays tough as nails....think Antoine Winfield)

I like Jerome Murphy also...... I just havea feeling that if Tye Hill does not workout... We will sign a freeagent CB rather then draft one.... We have enough young talent at CB... We need a good young vet onthis team tho.

I agree that we have alot of young talent, but TD did lose out on Middleton, so we may get one CB in the draft to replace him. I just think that Jerome Murphy might be too highly valued for us to choose him.

I like Jerome Murphy also...... I just havea feeling that if Tye Hill does not workout... We will sign a freeagent CB rather then draft one.... We have enough young talent at CB... We need a good young vet onthis team tho.

I don't think we will realistically have a chance at a Free Agent CB. If they are young and talented, we would have to give up a high pick + give them a new contract.

I don't think TD will do that.

This is per ESPN.

South Florida:

Senior safety Nate Allen made my list of the Big East's Top 30 players at No. 26, but based on his workout numbers alone, he should be much higher.

Allen ran a 4.38 40-yard dash this spring, making him one of the fastest players on the team. By comparison, USC's uber-freak safety Taylor Mays ran a 4.32.

"That 4.3 shocked me, to be honest with you, because I didn't think he was that fast," McKeefery said. "But at the same time, he's been running really well."

One of Allen's teammates in the secondary, cornerback Jerome Murphy, was a tenth-of a second slower in the 40. But the 6-foot-1, 185-pound Murphy boasts some pretty impressive numbers himself. He has a stunning 3.5 percent body fat, as measured by the BodPod. He can bench 320, squat 450 and has posted a 10-foot, 1-inch standing broad jump.

"He's just shredded," McKeefery said. "He is as pretty as they come. His numbers in a lot of respects are a lot better than (former Bulls cornerback) Mike Jenkins, who was a first-rounder for us. I think he's set to come out and do some big things this year."

• 2 weeks later...

Murphy's only bad game so far this year was the Cincy game. Here is his scouting report from Draftnasty.com.

http://draftnasty.com/index.php/scouting/big_east1/jerome-murphy/

South Florida CB Jerome Murphy

2009-10-24 00:10:00

DraftNasty.com Description

It’s not too many times you mention a cornerback being one of the hardest hitting guys on the team. The South Florida Golden Bulls definitely have one in Jerome Murphy. Aside from his big hits, DraftNasty is raving about his on field production. Last season, the New Jersey native registered 67 tackles, 7 pass breakups, 3.5 tackles for loss and 2 interceptions. The only player more productive than him at the CB position was Vanderbilt’s Myron Lewis. He is a valuable special teams player and even provides depth as a return man. If Murphy can continue to have a solid senior campaign, expect for him to push into the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft.

What makes this player NASTY? (Strengths)

Tall and wiry build. Very fluid athlete. Explosive in all phases of the game. Physical corner that enjoys being aggressive with WRs. Good transition speed out of his backpedal. Not afraid to stick his nose into run support. Does a good job of keeping outside leverage on the run. Sheds WR blocks easily and is able to make tackles consistently. Plays really well to the nub side (no receiver), displaying awareness to come up on run support and drop back into his zone when recognizing pass (Syracuse 08). Effective tackler when striking through opponents’ thighs. Reads and reacts better when he plays off man or zone. Effective blitzer when playing at nickel corner. Disguises well from this position. Does a good job in underneath zone coverage (Louisville 2008). Explosive hitter when the receiver catches the ball (Kansas 2008 hit on Kerry Meier). Plays better to the boundary because he is a factor vs. the run and pass. Has good ball instincts and seems to have an extra burst when the ball is in the air. Has tremendous closing speed on receivers. Really good instincts when reducing the field when flow goes away from him. Does a good job of baiting QBs to throw to the TE when he is matched up against them because of his underestimated closing speed. Dynamic special teams player. Two seasons ago played a vital role for the Bulls. Led the team in blocked kicks and tackles on special teams. Even served as an explosive return man. Acclimates to weather very well.

Weaknesses

Questionable zone coverage discipline. Not as fluid with his hips as you would anticipate. Struggles with hand placement on receivers in press coverage. High backpedal and has a tendency to play on his heels more often than not. Loses footing on quick hitches due to long plant step. Needs to improve with his off man technique. Gives too much cushion, allowing average receivers to be productive against him on shorter routes. Plays a step behind at times in zone coverage. Has a tendency to put his head down when tackling bigger running backs. Needs to control his physical style of play, which can lead to pass interference and unnecessary roughness penalties (see Cincinnati game '09).

Time to get NASTY (Our Summary)...

Murphy is one of the standout players for the Golden Bulls football team and anchors a defense that is highly acclaimed by NFL prospects. He is accompanied in the secondary by NFL prospect Nate Allen to make up one of the most feared corner/safety tandems in the country. This season he continues to be a force as he started the season off with two interceptions in the first two games and opponents have not thrown to his side as much as they did last season. Despite his struggles against Cincinnati this season, he is a shoe in to be a day one pick this spring. The thing that separates Murphy from the other top CB prospects will be his production on special teams. In 2007 he averaged a stunning 24.3 yards per kick return and has blocked four kicks in the past two seasons. DraftNasty feels Murphy can be a first day pick, potentially come into training camp and push for a starting job.

DraftNasty.com Prediction for NFL Draft

2nd/3rd round

Scouting Report by: De'Angelo Bryant