A GT/Georgia conversation I am having

Des-pool

First, let me preface by saying I am a Georgia fan, and my friend is a GT grad/fan, and I mean Fan in the sense of fanatic. He is extremely passionate, hates Georgia with every fiber of his being, which is amusing to me because I actually like Tech and want them to win against everyone but Georgia. We are having a conversation about the current Chik Fil A classic news, and he is really mad and angry, because he feels Georgia is trying to manipulate the whole thing to have plenty of time to prepare for Tech's offense. Anyway, he was especially harsh this morning in his vitrol, and this is what I sent him. It seems non-college related, but stay with it. I just wanted to share, because after writing it, I think I hit some real key points about the Georgia-GT rivalry.

You know what makes the Patriots, in my opinion, the best franchise we have seen in the NFL...probably ever? And yes, I do know there have been great franchises, like Pittsburgh and Oakland of the 70's. the Niner's in the 80's, the Cowboys in the 90's, yet none of them played with the restrictions that NFL teams have today. There was no Salary Cap for any of those great teams, and they had the means and ability to "buy" some of the best players of their age, and keep them. Today's NFL is completely different, and if you develop those great players, you will not keep them, because the salary cap dictates that good performance will be rewarded by good money, and no team can afford to pay all of their good players what those players think they are worth, so a lot of those players end up leaving to get paid more.

yet the Patriots are consistently a Super Bowl contender every year, which is amazing in Today's NFL which is designed to kill dynasties before they happen. How? Well, first off, a hall of fame QB helps...a whole lot. But plenty of QB's have been Hall of fame that never won a championship, ala Dan Marino and Dan Fouts, for example. Also, knowing which positions are worth the money and which ones can be replaced is huge. Good drafting, great scouts, all of these are extremely important, but only parts of the puzzle. So how do they do it?

It's simple, really. They don't make excuses. At all. When Bill Belechek goes up to that podium after a loss, he doesn't blame the refs, he doesn't blame the weather, he doesn't blame a bye week for the opponent, he doesn't blame anyone but his own team not executing, because he knows that his coaching is the best. He knows that his people are the best. If they didn't win, it's simply because they failed to execute the game plan that he knows would have beat the other team. And what is amazing is that his players believe the same thing.If they had gone out and just executed a little better, they would have won. this is why the Patriots never lose back to back games. No challenge, no team is too much to difficult to beat, no matter what conditions they are in, because they are so supremely confident that their team can beat anyone. ****...they were a miracle play away from a perfect season, which is right up there with hitting .400 in baseball.

And they do it with mostly scrubs and roleplayers. They have a couple of stars and superstars, but everyone else on their teams are not some omg player. in fact, a lot of their guys usually are rejects from other teams they see value in. Kevin Faulk? are you kidding me? Patrick Pass...the alleged next Herschel Walker at Georgia but sucked?

but everyone of those guys believe in their team, and that if they just execute to their ability the gameplan before them, they will win. Every coach wants that buy in, but few teams ever have it, and almost no teams have it for near as long as the patriots have had it. They are the epitome of the word, winners. No excuses allowed.

Now...if I was GT, I would look at this as a challenge and way to prove that my offense is really good, no matter how long the other team has to prepare. If I was GT, I would say, so what? If this is truly an unstoppable offense, then it will be only so much sweeter, because then UGA will REALLY have no excuses when they lose. Instead....this will be used as an excuse to lose. Why? Because that is the GT mentality concerning UGA...excuses to lose. CPJ is trying to change that culture, but he is going against a significant amount of Pavlov conditioning.

Georgia didn't lose against LSU because of a penalty at the wrong time. It sucked, and really didn't help, but that was not the reason. they lost because they failed to execute good kick coverage. They failed because the penalty, in their hearts, gave them a reason to fail. And human beings, for some odd, strange reason, need reasons to fail as much as they need reasons to succeed. Coaches know that reason to fail is the enemy of all enemies to their footbal teams, and try to preach against it daily. The Will to Succeed is not just a nice catchphrase. It is real. Georgia lacked that will to Succeed in the LSU team, which is why they are not a great, or maybe even good team this year. They went up with a minute left, gave what they thought was their best shot, and then let circumstances defeat them. LSU had that will, Georgia didn't.

And now Tech has been given a great excuse to fail. But really, it is the mentality of GT that will hold them back. If tech personal and tech fans truly had any confidence that their offense wasn't just a gimmick offense, then it wouldn't matter how much time an opponent had to prepare. In fact, Georgia offense traditionally always starts the season slow, so in reality, this might be a good thing for Tech. But getting through the haze of, poor me, everyone is against us the world hates us self-pity mixed with a dash of loathing miasma that is the GT mentality is the real challenge. Excusitis is a disease that afflicts most of the Tech fanbase. It is a fundamental lack of faith that anything good can happen for your team, and when it does, the other hand will drop to balance things out. I know all about this as a Falcon fan...

You know, the Patriots lost their hall of fame, maybe best QB ever in the first game of last season, yet they still had an 11-5 record which would have been good enough to make the playoffs in the NFC and in most divisions. Why? Because Excusitis is something that doesn't exist in their make-up. They didn't "cash it in" like the Falcons did after Vick was hurt in 2003. Because Winners always believe they will win, and a loss is just because they didn't execute to the best of their abilities, not because they are cursed, fate is against them, Refs hate them, etc.

And for the record, the Patriots were consistent losers, much like the Falcons have been, till Belechek got there. That is what I am hoping for the falcons now...no more excusitis, to be the Patriots-South.

UGA has talked with the atlanta sports council to play in the dome in 2011 for some time. It looks like gt was approached by the ASC and was interested in playing UGA to open the season. UGA needs to move louisville who was rumored to want out of their deal with Georgia. This isn't some uga wants to get gt early type junk. It's funny he would even think that is the case.. lol

UGA has talked with the atlanta sports council to play in the dome in 2011 for some time. It looks like gt was approached by the ASC and was interested in playing UGA to open the season. UGA needs to move louisville who was rumored to want out of their deal with Georgia. This isn't some uga wants to get gt early type junk. It's funny he would even think that is the case.. lol

Well, actually, I wrote it in response to his basically screaming about how the Chik Fil A Classic was the "evil empire" of Georgia trying to get an advantage. It always the same thing, there is always some sort of "tech got jobbed by the refs, etc." The diatribe about the Patriots was me trying to point out the difference in cultures between Tech (who are a lot like the Falcons) and an organization that doesn't need excuses, no matter the adversity.

He really thinks this is a Georgia idea..if you have something that says GT is behind it as well, please share it.

Well, actually, I wrote it in response to his basically screaming about how the Chik Fil A Classic was the "evil empire" of Georgia trying to get an advantage. It always the same thing, there is always some sort of "tech got jobbed by the refs, etc." The diatribe about the Patriots was me trying to point out the difference in cultures between Tech (who are a lot like the Falcons) and an organization that doesn't need excuses, no matter the adversity.

He really thinks this is a Georgia idea..if you have something that says GT is behind it as well, please share it.

Gotcha on that post. If any gt fan who thinks there is some conspiracy and uga is delusional. I wonder if they believe we really landed on the moon. lol UGA has been talking to the atlanta sports council for over a year plus now about playing a game in the kickoff classic. GT has been as well. the ASC is behind this and based on damon's comments and an item i read today GT may not even in the end be the team we play.. The ASC is really trying hard to get this matchup together, but it's definately not uga.

Well, my friend is the same guy who hit the ref with a water bottle a few years ago at the Notre Dame-Tech game when the flag was thrown for a phantom hit out of bounds on Brady Quinn in the final moments of that game, so yeah, maybe.

a great guy as long as we are not talking GT vs Georgia, heh.

Georgia TECH does that too? Weeeeird.

Georgia TECH does that too? Weeeeird.

Yeah, well, a lot of Georgia fans are crybabies also. The call sucked, but we could have recovered, we just did not have the will to succeed in that spot. We lost the mental war after the bad call, and folded. LSU wanted it more. Sometimes you fail a gut-check, and that is what happened to us.

GT fans are much worse, because they have little brother syndrome to Georgia, and having excuses as to why they lose is more important than winning to some. Some are just addicted to the victim mentality, much like the Red Sox fans before they won a championship finally. Georgia fans seem to suffer from the, not quite good enough, 2nd best/First Losers mentality.

Oh, don't think I haven't heard the same from some Florida fans concerning whether Golden Boy gets to play against LSU or not. Lining up the excuse train and screaming all aboard.

first, gt fans do not share the same mentality as the gt football team. the fans might care about this, but the actual team probably does not.

from the other gt fans i have talked to about this, the main concern is that the game has been traditionally played at the end of the year, when the game has more importance to both clubs. think of the miami and fsu games that were moved to beginning of the season - yeah it was a great game this year, but it wasnt as good as some of the classics when the implications meant playing in a decent bowl game and a top 5 finish. now, the loser of the game has to spend the rest of the season working their way back up, and imo, its just better to keep it at the end of the season. its true that uga will have a ton of time to prepare for the triple option this year, and in that regard, this game being the first game will benefit them a ton. trying to dismiss the importance of that is silly, bc it will be a huge factor.

tech plays in the acc so of course theyve always been jobbed by the refs. have you seen acc officials? they are wtf-terrible.

your jab at gt fans is redunkulous. gt has twice as many national championships as uga and no gt fan has ever claimed that they wished they were more like uga. if anything, its more snobbishness towards tshirt fans than little brother syndrome. funny that its only uga fans that bring up little brother syndrome when they just want to think other people want to be like them which isnt true at all. maybe some of your sec brethren think that way, but not ga tech fans.

also the irony behind uga fans claiming tech has excusitis when uga fans ALWAYS have an excuse when they lose - the bad PI call, our olineman was hurt, reshad jones cant tackle, college football is rigged, etc etc.

at least you arent using the excessive celebration penalty as an excuse, that proves youre a notch above most uga fans at least.

first, gt fans do not share the same mentality as the gt football team. the fans might care about this, but the actual team probably does not.

from the other gt fans i have talked to about this, the main concern is that the game has been traditionally played at the end of the year, when the game has more importance to both clubs. think of the miami and fsu games that were moved to beginning of the season - yeah it was a great game this year, but it wasnt as good as some of the classics when the implications meant playing in a decent bowl game and a top 5 finish. now, the loser of the game has to spend the rest of the season working their way back up, and imo, its just better to keep it at the end of the season. its true that uga will have a ton of time to prepare for the triple option this year, and in that regard, this game being the first game will benefit them a ton. trying to dismiss the importance of that is silly, bc it will be a huge factor.

tech plays in the acc so of course theyve always been jobbed by the refs. have you seen acc officials? they are wtf-terrible.

your jab at gt fans is redunkulous. gt has twice as many national championships as uga and no gt fan has ever claimed that they wished they were more like uga. if anything, its more snobbishness towards tshirt fans than little brother syndrome. funny that its only uga fans that bring up little brother syndrome when they just want to think other people want to be like them which isnt true at all. maybe some of your sec brethren think that way, but not ga tech fans.

also the irony behind uga fans claiming tech has excusitis when uga fans ALWAYS have an excuse when they lose - the bad PI call, our olineman was hurt, reshad jones cant tackle, college football is rigged, etc etc.

at least you arent using the excessive celebration penalty as an excuse, that proves youre a notch above most uga fans at least.

1. I do understand the breaking of tradition concerning the game. That actually is somewhat reasonable to me.

2. If GT is so scared of someone having a whole offseason to prepare for their offense, then that offense really isn't that good, is it? I mean, cmon, everyone has a whole offseason to prepare for their first opponent. All I have heard from Tech people is how great CPJ is and how great their offense is, and how it whipped Georgia. Well...if all that is true, why would you worry about someone getting to prepare for the alleged "unstoppable" offense?

3. Yes, ACC officials do suck, and Tech gets a lot of bad calls. Overcoming adversity, even unfair adversity is the mark of a good/great team. Georgia this year failed in that department last game as well.

4. Tech fans AND their TEAM do suffer from Little Brother Syndrome. Yes, Tech has won more NC's, their claim to fame. Georgia, however, has the series edge, has more alumni and more students, better recruiting, a longer history etc etc. I mean, tell me they don't have little brother syndrome when they get rings made up for their one win against Georgia in 8 years. the fact is, tech fans always view Tech as the underdog.

5. Yes...there has definitely been so excuse making happening by Georgia fans, I said as much.

1. I do understand the breaking of tradition concerning the game. That actually is somewhat reasonable to me.

2. If GT is so scared of someone having a whole offseason to prepare for their offense, then that offense really isn't that good, is it? I mean, cmon, everyone has a whole offseason to prepare for their first opponent. All I have heard from Tech people is how great CPJ is and how great their offense is, and how it whipped Georgia. Well...if all that is true, why would you worry about someone getting to prepare for the alleged "unstoppable" offense?

3. Yes, ACC officials do suck, and Tech gets a lot of bad calls. Overcoming adversity, even unfair adversity is the mark of a good/great team. Georgia this year failed in that department last game as well.

4. Tech fans AND their TEAM do suffer from Little Brother Syndrome. Yes, Tech has won more NC's, their claim to fame. Georgia, however, has the series edge, has more alumni and more students, better recruiting, a longer history etc etc. I mean, tell me they don't have little brother syndrome when they get rings made up for their one win against Georgia in 8 years. the fact is, tech fans always view Tech as the underdog.

5. Yes...there has definitely been so excuse making happening by Georgia fans, I said as much.

2. but its more fun to catch them completely unprepared :P

3. its not just tech that gets bad calls from acc officials. i will say tho that the overall incompetence of acc football officials pales in comparison to the calls teams playing duke or unc get during basketball season <_<

4. we've had some terrible coaches in between great ones, and uga is more prone to fire their coach if they lose three consecutive games to tech in an attempt to save face. chan gailey would not have lasted 7 years at uga. some of gt's past ad's have been less than stellar ie david braine, and didnt have the courage to make a change. not to mention the time being independent and before we joined the acc hurt gt quite a bit.

of course you have more students and alumni - your school is bigger (its cheaper to expand in athens than say, atlanta), and tech is more specialized with its curriculum.

recruiting is subjective, and an inaccurate science. youve had some good players go to the nfl recently, but so has tech, and thats with chan gailey recruiting.

and if recruiting is such a primary cause of 'little brother syndrome', why does tech annually outclass uga in basketball recruiting? since youre speaking about gt fans as a whole having 'little brother syndrome', that seems like a big thing to overlook.

uga has a longer history bc they were founded earlier. longer history doesnt necessarily mean 'better history', and tech could make a strong case in that department.

many of you continually overlook that they got the rings to remember the great season they had, not just the uga game. in layman's terms think of it as a class ring where you can get anything you want on two sides, and they chose that game bc the win against uga capped off the end of a great season and would hold more significance then a game played at the beginning or the middle of the year when the team wasn't completely focused.

that said, its still not as bad as retiring the jersey number of the player who broke tech's streak against uga, which btw your school did.

tech has achieved more than uga in shorter amount of time. for a long time football wasnt even tech's main focus, it was just something we were good at on the side.

uga is like the 3 year starter that has more career wins and tech is the good-looking transfer that comes in, beats out the incumbent starter, wins a championship, something the previous starter struggled doing, and then graduates and lands a job at NASA. yeah, uga grew up with more people in his class, and constantly thinks the world of himself, but all that got uga was a few division titles and games against hawaii.~ :)

5. yeah. thats why i said that. :huh: