Source: FSU won't oust Bowden

Cable Guy

Florida State coach Bobby Bowden will not be asked to step down this season, a source told ESPN's Shaun King on Tuesday.

Bowden's contract runs through the 2010 season.

A succession plan for coach-in-waiting Jimbo Fisher to assume greater responsibility before next season has been discussed, though, according to the source.

If Bowden stays for the 2010 season, the source said, Florida State officials want a plan in place in which Fisher would have control over the Seminoles' football operations -- for example, recruiting, coaching and practice.

Fisher was deemed the head coach-in-waiting in 2007. If he does not succeed Bowden at the conclusion of the 2010 season, Florida State -- under the terms of its agreement with Fisher -- would have to pay him $5 million. FSU has begun working on the structure of a five-year pact that would settle how much Fisher is to be paid when he takes over, a person familiar with those discussions told ESPN's Joe Schad on Monday.

Bowden said Sunday he isn't planning on quitting anytime soon, but the chair of the university's board of trustees said Monday that the arrangement with Bowden as head coach and Fisher as offensive coordinator isn't working.

"We've got too many bosses out there," chairman Jim Smith told The Associated Press. "Jimbo is in a very, very tough situation where people assume he has a whole lot more authority than he really has. He's getting blamed for a lot of things that's just not his fault."

Anxiety in Seminole Nation has reached a crescendo recently.

"It's just really sad because he has propelled FSU into a national power and we just haven't been there for really eight years now," Ron Sellers, a record-setting wide receiver from 1966-68, told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach. "I really don't know what's compounding the problem."

Sellers, who was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1988, still attends FSU football games regularly. He was at the Seminoles' 19-9 victory over FCS opponent Jacksonville (Ala.) State on Sept. 12, when FSU had to score two touchdowns in the final 35 seconds to avoid the worst loss in Bowden's tenure.

"I saw too many dropped passes, too many fumbles, too many guys dropping punts and too many people missing tackles," Sellers said. "We're just a team in disarray."

"It's just a sad time," Sellers said. "I guess that people want Bobby to step down gracefully, and I want what's best for Florida State University. I'm just really saddened by where we are. I'm hurting as much as all the Seminole Nation. It's bad. The last two Saturdays have been bad. Something is amiss, and I'm not sure what it is. But we can't keep going in the direction it's going."

Information from ESPN's Shaun King and The Associated Press was used in this report.

This is an embarrassment for FSU, IMO. That man literally built the Seminole program from the ground up. He should be allowed to step down whenever he feels like it, I think. And the idea of giving Fisher control of the program while keeping Bobby on is an idiotic thought. FSU needs to "grow a set" and make a decision. To me the choice is no choice at all. Leave Bobby alone. Fire Fisher and bring in someone else to run the offense and be the HC in waiting. I'd bet my bottom dollar that Jimbo has participated in a couple of secret meetings ala Bobby Petrino with the good ole boys from Auburn several years ago. Just call Jimbo "Brutus", I guess.

Go ahead and fire him, "a pox on your house". Twenty years of suffering for dumping the man who made the program one of the all-time greats. You'll fire Fisher inside of 5 years.

This is an embarrassment for FSU, IMO. That man literally built the Seminole program from the ground up. He should be allowed to step down whenever he feels like it, I think. And the idea of giving Fisher control of the program while keeping Bobby on is an idiotic thought. FSU needs to "grow a set" and make a decision. To me the choice is no choice at all. Leave Bobby alone. Fire Fisher and bring in someone else to run the offense and be the HC in waiting. I'd bet my bottom dollar that Jimbo has participated in a couple of secret meetings ala Bobby Petrino with the good ole boys from Auburn several years ago. Just call Jimbo "Brutus", I guess.

Go ahead and fire him, "a pox on your house". Twenty years of suffering for dumping the man who made the program one of the all-time greats. You'll fire Fisher inside of 5 years.

lmao! why? The man has shaped Christian Ponder who has done amazing this year. Read the articles, they tell you Jimbo doesn't have the kind of control people say he does. Therefore he is not the one to blame and to fire a person that has mase our offense as good as they have been is just idiotic. I love Bobby more than anyone but its time. Give the man his own press box and let him wear a headset...just disconnect it. Pay him his salary and let the wins count for him. BTW yes Bowden made this franchise but as I quote from Jimob "This isn't FSU from the 90s, this is FSU from the 2000s and we need to make ourselves standout"

Edited by Cody #53

I have a lot of respect for Bowden and he definitely built the FSU football program but at this point I think he is being selfish. The fan base is divided and its pretty obvious he doesn't do much actual coaching anymore and the only reason he sticks around is the grudge match he has with Paterno for the most wins. He is a great man and has been a great coach but no one person should be above the entire program IMO and if he truly cared about the program more than himself, he would step down after this year. If they lose the appeal to get the wins back I think he steps down , if not if I were Jimbo I would blaze because its not fair to him to not have full control but yet still be held accountable. Its a pretty touchy situation , I really dont like these Coaches in waiting scenarios.

Keep it out of the media. He deserves better than that.

Agreed! He certainly deserves much better. Several years ago they wanted to fire JoePa but he evidentally redoubled his efforts and turned things around. I wonder if FSU could rebound with Bobby putting more energy and effort into the team. I don't know if he has the same vitality Paterno has, but Bobby might be able to fix the program.

For whatever reason I feel convinced that Jimbo is helping pull the strings to oust Bobby and I think that's scummy.