PreFlight - Week 5

richardc

While we sit at 2-1 and the only loss to a team that is now 3-1, questions surround the Falcons. Here are a few I have:

1. Running Game

- The Falcon's run game has not yet found it's groove. I don't know if it's Turner, The O-Line or the play calling, but the end result is the same. Our run game is no longer a feared in the NFL. Without a fear of the run, the Defense can cover up our pass game.

- Against the Patriots I felt we could have gotten things going, but the OC didn't try to hammer our run game on the road even though we were still in the game.

- I saw our offensive line getting pushed around in all three of our games so far. I've seen our Center and both Guards get shoved into the backfield moments after the ball is snapped. Our run game cannot get going when the O-Line is playing in the backfield.

- Turner seems to be tired. I don't see the same fire he had this time last year. It's possible all those carries last year took a toll on his legs. It's also possible he is looking to hard for a hole rather than just smashing it in there and making a hole.

2. Passing Game

- I mentioned before that Ryan could be headed for a Sophomore Slump. Many have quoted stats and figures in an effort to prove he is on target for a probowl year. Stats are for baseball. In football they mean nothing. The fact is, Ryan does not seem to have the confidence he had last year. It seems that last year he had that Rookie Stupidity and just "played." It seems this year he studied a ton over the off season and is now somewhat confused by what is going on. It's like he is seeing TOO much when he looks at the defense. Hopefully all that knowledge will assimilate over the next few weeks, but Ryan, so far, is not the same as he was last year.

- Roddy White is playing like he just got paid. Nothing is more showing of ones character than to hold out for a contact, then now show up when he gets paid. Will Roddy show up this season? I hope he does, but if I'm betting, I'd put a c-note against it.

3. Discipline

- Penalties have been an issue so far this year. Mostly stupid penalties; from formation penalties to personal fouls, they have cost us so far this year.

- Turnovers have been an issue so far this year.

The 49ers are playing well and are coming off a great game. I am hopeful we will catch them patting themselves on their backs and give us an opportunity to get our running game going, execute and play disciplined football and let Ryan get back to his rookie form.

Can Roddy White light up the San Fran secondary? Sure he can... but he probably won't.

While we sit at 2-1 and the only loss to a team that is now 3-1, questions surround the Falcons. Here are a few I have:

1. Running Game

- The Falcon's run game has not yet found it's groove. I don't know if it's Turner, The O-Line or the play calling, but the end result is the same. Our run game is no longer a feared in the NFL. Without a fear of the run, the Defense can cover up our pass game.

- Against the Patriots I felt we could have gotten things going, but the OC didn't try to hammer our run game on the road even though we were still in the game.

- I saw our offensive line getting pushed around in all three of our games so far. I've seen our Center and both Guards get shoved into the backfield moments after the ball is snapped. Our run game cannot get going when the O-Line is playing in the backfield.

- Turner seems to be tired. I don't see the same fire he had this time last year. It's possible all those carries last year took a toll on his legs. It's also possible he is looking to hard for a hole rather than just smashing it in there and making a hole.

2. Passing Game

- I mentioned before that Ryan could be headed for a Sophomore Slump. Many have quoted stats and figures in an effort to prove he is on target for a probowl year. Stats are for baseball. In football they mean nothing. The fact is, Ryan does not seem to have the confidence he had last year. It seems that last year he had that Rookie Stupidity and just "played." It seems this year he studied a ton over the off season and is now somewhat confused by what is going on. It's like he is seeing TOO much when he looks at the defense. Hopefully all that knowledge will assimilate over the next few weeks, but Ryan, so far, is not the same as he was last year.

- Roddy White is playing like he just got paid. Nothing is more showing of ones character than to hold out for a contact, then now show up when he gets paid. Will Roddy show up this season? I hope he does, but if I'm betting, I'd put a c-note against it.

3. Discipline

- Penalties have been an issue so far this year. Mostly stupid penalties; from formation penalties to personal fouls, they have cost us so far this year.

- Turnovers have been an issue so far this year.

The 49ers are playing well and are coming off a great game. I am hopeful we will catch them patting themselves on their backs and give us an opportunity to get our running game going, execute and play disciplined football and let Ryan get back to his rookie form.

Can Roddy White light up the San Fran secondary? Sure he can... but he probably won't.

I think we are the least penalized team in the league!?

We are still a middle of the road team. We didn't find a way to win vs the Pats. Good teams find a way to win, an often said phrase. Sunday, IMO we will lose that game. I don't think our defense will will play better than San Fran's offense and I think San fran's defense will play better than our offense. I hope I am wrong but I seriously doubt it.

I think you might be right about Roddy. Not that he is being outright lazy as a result of a conscious choice on his part. But maybe now that he has the fat contract, he doesn't have the same level of motivation welling up inside him. And since the NFL requires incredible effort, when motivation decreases it shows on the field. (I say MAYBE about all this ... there have only been 3 games, and I'd love for him to prove me wrong).

To get him going, I think the coaches should tell him, "Look Roddy, we're going to throw to you at least 15 times against San Fran. Period. You better get open and you better make catches, because the ball is coming your way. It's on you whether you look like a superstar or a dud." Just a thought.