Falcons try out former Jag Paul Spicer

Paul Spicer, former Saginaw Valley State defensive end and 10-year NFL veteran, worked out with the Atlanta Falcons today, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting.

The tryout is Spicer's third since being cut in early September from the New Orleans Saints. He worked out with the Detroit Lions and the New England Patriots last month.

Spicer played under current Falcons head coach Mike Smith when both were in Jacksonville. He is trying out alongside veteran defensive ends Antwan Lake and Orpheus Roye.

Very nice i like Spicer alot and he will be bring some much needed gametime experience to the LDE spot. He's not a world beater but he is no slouch either when he can work 1 on 1 against the RT. His strength though is in the run game defense.

wait.... i thought Spicer was DT, why the heck are we getting a DE when we already have 5 on the roster?

if hes being brought in as a DE, JA98 must be moving to DT,

Lake is nothing special at all

Roye was actually a decent DL for a 7-8 year stretch. He is 6-4 330, but 36 years old, and at this point, if he were to be signed he is probably gonna help us out in the run D department at NT, but that is probably it.

Spicer can probably still provide a good pass rush and with his size, he could help at DT and DE...He could also help our run D too

THE LINES ARE BEING DRAWN

I think the writing's on the wall for JA98, and Davis will prolly see more snaps at DT as he's also been a monumental failure at DE as well. Also Spicer would be a great addition if in shape.

Edited by osiruz

wait.... i thought Spicer was DT, why the heck are we getting a DE when we already have 5 on the roster?

if hes being brought in as a DE, JA98 must be moving to DT,

Spicer can play both positions if need be, so it really doesn't matter if he's listed as a DE or a DT.

Either way he's a helluva lot better than JA98.