49er Fan Here

Hey Falcon fans. What's up. I am a 49er fan who usually post at www.forums.49ers.com I am really looking forward to this game and I believe it should be a close one. Both teams are up and coming and with the leadership of our head coaches have shown they can at the top in the league. I have been reading some of your guys' posts and I have agreed with a lot, but I also have to question some.

First, contrary to popular belief, our running game is really bad.Like really bad. Besides Frank Gore's 2 huge TD runs, our running backs have been stopped at the line. Because our OC (Jimmy Raye) is so stubborn, he refuses to leave the run. He wanted to run the ball 60% of the time. The bad thing about that is, every team is expecting it. A lot of you guys think that you should stack the box and that you will win.. Well first of all that's not an original idea because every team has done that. And it has worked. Our running backs go nowhere. But the problem is that you do not give Shaun Hill credit. He distributes the ball evenly to all playmakers and he simply just wins games. He is 7-0 at home, so hopefully he can continue that trend :P Vernon Davis was looking like one of the biggest bust in history until this season. This year he has scored 3 TDs and is catching everything thrown his way. He is becoming a monster and I think he will make it to his first pro bowl. Coffee is young rookie that everyone insists will be good one day, but with defenses stacking the box he really has no hope to be a factor. I know you guys have a pretty poor run D, but we made the Rams defense look stingy against the run. Overall I see our offense only throwing up 17 points

Secondly, our defense is very impressive. Very impressive. Everyone on here seems to expect a big game from your Offense. Well if you are expecting a big game, it will not happen this Sunday. The 49ers have, I think, a top 5 defense and are just tenacious. No one can run against them. Turner will be a non factor. I promise you that. The only way I see you guys beating our D is if you have good pass protection. Ryan will have to beat the 49ers this Sunday. He will be the deciding factor. We have a great secondary lead by Nate Clements. Also contrary to popular belief, Dre Bly does not start opposite of him. Shantae Spencer, a second round pick 5 years ago is now the starter and he is playing out of his mind. How do I know that? Because I never here his name called or see any of his stats at the end of the game. No QB throws his way. I will argue he is our best corner. Bly is our NB and he is playing like he did 3 years ago. He makes plays and has almost picked off 3 passes, but he focuses on what to do after he catches the ball rather than focusing on the ball. If our defensive can get to Ryan he will be forced to throw the ball and then I can see him making a lot of turnovers. But our pass rush has been nonexistant at times. If that's the case this Sunday, then I expect the Falcons to win. The Falcons really only have to throw up 20 points this Sunday I believe to get the win, but I really don't see that happening against our D.

I expect a 17-14 49ers win. I know we have played some pretty bad teams this year, but we almost beat the Vikings who look like the team to beat in the NFC besides the Saints (I'm sorry ;) ) I am open to criticism and I look forward to our discussion. Hopefully it will be an injury free game

Edited by Where is my Mind

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am gladd you came over here with a reasonable attitude unlike your counterparts over on your board. It's like they expect yur defense to score 21 points and win the game because they have yet to even mention your offense one time. Yeah defense does win games, but c'mon. Our defense isn't that bad themselves. Yes we give up some yards but are pretty good about not giving up the points. I do think we will struggle with the run. I really believe it comes down to Tony G. If we can get a couple to him early the rest is sure to follow.

Edited by ToP-oF-tHe-ClAsS

Hey Falcon fans. What's up. I am a 49er fan who usually post at www.forums.49ers.com I am really looking forward to this game and I believe it should be a close one. Both teams are up and coming and with the leadership of our head coaches have shown they can at the top in the league. I have been reading some of your guys' posts and I have agreed with a lot, but I also have to question some.

First, contrary to popular belief, our running game is really bad.Like really bad. Besides Frank Gore's 2 huge TD runs, our running backs have been stopped at the line. Because our OC (Jimmy Raye) is so stubborn, he refuses to leave the run. He wanted to run the ball 60% of the time. The bad thing baout that is, every team is expecting it. A lot of you guys think that you should stack the box and that you will win.. Well first of all that's not an original idea because every team has done that. And it has worked. Our runningbacks go nowhere. But the problem is that you do not give Shaun Hill credit. He distributes the ball evenly to all playmakers and he simply just wins games. He is 7-0 at home, so hopefully he can continue that trend :P Vernon Davis was looking like one of the biggest buts in history until this season. This year he has scored 3 TDs and is catching everything thrown his way. He is becoming a monster and I think he will make it to his first pro bowl. Coffee is young rookie that everyone insists will be good one day, but with defenses stacking the box he really has no hope to be a factor. I know you guys have a pretty poor run D, but we made the Rams defense look stingy against the run. Overall I see our offense only throwing up 17 points

Secondly, our defense is very impressive. Very impressive. Everyone on here seems to expect a big game from your Offense. Well if you are expecting a big game, it will not happen this Sunday. The 49ers have, I think, a top 5 defense and are just tenacious. No one can run against them. Turner will be a non factor. I promise you that. The only way I see you guys beating our D is if you have good pass protection. Ryan will have to beat the 49ers this Sunday. He will be the deciding factor. We have a great secondary lead by Nate Clements. Also contrary to popular belief, Dre Bly does not start opposite of him. Shantae Spencer, a second round pick 5 years ago is now the starter and he is playing out of his mind. How do I know that? Because I never here his name called or see any of his stats at the end of the game. No QB throws his way. I will argue he is our best corner. Bly is our NB and he is playing like he did 3 years ago. He makes plays and has almost picked off 3 passes, but he focuses on what to do after he catches the ball rather than focusing on the ball. If our defensive can get to Ryan he will be forced to throw the ball and then I can see him making a lot of turnovers. But our pass rush has been nonexistant at times. If that's the case this Sunday, then I expect the Falcons to win. The Falcons really only have to throw up 20 points this Sunday I believe to get the win, but I really don't see that happening against our D.

I expect a 17-14 49ers win. I know we have played some pretty bad teams this year, but we almost beat the Vikings who look like the team to beat in the NFC besides the Saints (I'm sorry ;) ) I am open to criticism and I look forward to our discussion. Hopefully it will be an injury free game

I will hit you back with my opinion after i watch the games, but so far i do agree that Your offensive has been terrible and Shaun Hill is off on his throws, and the best formation for the 49ers is the two TE set.

Well I am gladd you came over here with a reasonable attitude unlike your counterparts over on your board. It's like they expect yur defense to score 21 points and win the game because they have yet to even mention your offense one time. Yeah defense does win games, but c'mon. Our defense isn't that bad themselves. Yes we give up some yards but are pretty good about not giving up the points. I do think we will struggle with the run. I really believe it comes down to Tony G. If we can get a couple to him early the rest is sure to follow.

Yep. a defense should only be judge by how many points they give up. Not by how many yards. It seems like your D is playing a bend and dont break style. Which works if you stop the other team from scoring TDs. And the reason you don't hear about our offense is because, well, it's not very good. We try to tell the world we are going to run the ball every down and no one wills top us. But in reality, even the Rams can stop our run. I hope we open our passing game more this weekend. We have some threats in Vernon Davis, Isaac Bruce (yeah I know he is 80 but he is clutch) and Josh Morgan

I will hit you back with my opinion after i watch the games, but so far i do agree that Your offensive has been terrible and Shaun Hill is off on his throws, and the best formation for the 49ers is the two TE set.

Yeah the two TE set has worked thus far. Delanie Walker, our second TE, is a great receiver. He actually returned kick offs last week. :lol: Whose ever heard of a TE returning kicks? But the only problem is if we use the 2 TE set then Moran Norris, our fullback, won't be able to see the field and he creates a lot of holes. The only reason we are not averaging negative yards on our running plays is because of Norris.

Nice post. I think you underrate your running game though. We have a great run blocking line, and 2 great running backs. But when the defense stacks the box, you are going to get bottled up. I think your OL has looked pretty good in the run game and that's why even with Gore out teams will continue to load the box. We haven't put up numbers rushing the football, but I still consider our OL and RBs to be some of the best in the league.

Just as we are probably guilty of understimating Hill, and your pass defense, you are guilty of underestimating Ryan's ability to beat the blitz and protect the football. Although Hill has played admirably, our DL has 3 guys who can get after it in passing situations. Abe, Babs, and Biermann are gonna wreck havoc on third down, and I see Hill losing the football as the hits pile up. Face it, as good as your OL is at run blocking, they are about that bad at pass blocking. On our side, Ryan's numbers vs the blitz may just be the best in the league. Hopefully another poster will post them here for you to see.

I predict that you get a heavy dose of the "sugar huddle." Ryan will make calls at the line of scrimmage & put us in favorable plays and match ups. If your team defense can stop our offense then you deserve the victory, but most SF fans don't realize how diverse and balanced our offense really is.

49ers fans have more class than any other team. They rarely trash talk and like to look at the numbers. I respect that. Falcons fans talk more trash about their own team than 49ers fans do about the Falcons.

As much as I absolutely hate to admit this. You are right.

Nice post...

I must say that I was under the impression that your run game was better but wasn't expecting much with Gore out. I do hear that Coffee is going to be good.

We do have good pass protection, our o-line has struggled with the run blocking this year IMO though.

The BIGGEST misconception that other teams fans seem to have is that if they pressure Ryan he will throw picks. That is just not the case. If anything he has been a little too cautious with the ball this year and has thrown it away too quickly.

This should be a very good ball game but (of course) I believe we will come away with the win.

Yeah the two TE set has worked thus far. Delanie Walker, our second TE, is a great receiver. He actually returned kick offs last week. :lol: Whose ever heard of a TE returning kicks? But the only problem is if we use the 2 TE set then Moran Norris, our fullback, won't be able to see the field and he creates a lot of holes. The only reason we are not averaging negative yards on our running plays is because of Norris.

I think that biggest option for our passing game is going to be down the seams. I also see that the Oline is pretty weak up the middle, especially against the pass, when going up against quicker DT. Dockett killed your Oline, but i have only watched the 1st half.

Nice post. I think you underrate your running game though. We have a great run blocking line, and 2 great running backs. But when the defense stacks the box, you are going to get bottled up. I think your OL has looked pretty good in the run game and that's why even with Gore out teams will continue to load the box. We haven't put up numbers rushing the football, but I still consider our OL and RBs to be some of the best in the league.

Just as we are probably guilty of understimating Hill, and your pass defense, you are guilty of underestimating Ryan's ability to beat the blitz and protect the football. Although Hill has played admirably, our DL has 3 guys who can get after it in passing situations. Abe, Babs, and Biermann are gonna wreck havoc on third down, and I see Hill losing the football as the hits pile up. Face it, as good as your OL is at run blocking, they are about that bad at pass blocking. On our side, Ryan's numbers vs the blitz may just be the best in the league. Hopefully another poster will post them here for you to see.

I predict that you get a heavy dose of the "sugar huddle." Ryan will make calls at the line of scrimmage & put us in favorable plays and match ups. If your team defense can stop our offense then you deserve the victory, but most SF fans don't realize how diverse and balanced our offense really is.

No he is right they really havent looked good running the ball, Gore is just that good.

Nice post...

I must say that I was under the impression that your run game was better but wasn't expecting much with Gore out. I do hear that Coffee is going to be good.

We do have good pass protection, our o-line has struggled with the run blocking this year IMO though.

The BIGGEST misconception that other teams fans seem to have is that if they pressure Ryan he will throw picks. That is just not the case. If anything he has been a little too cautious with the ball this year and has thrown it away too quickly.

This should be a very good ball game but (of course) I believe we will come away with the win.

:lol: At least Ryan throws the ball away. I think Shaun Hill realizes that he is expected not to mess up, so instead of taking a shot, he will hold on to the ball and take the sack. He rarely throws the ball away. He is so afraid he will make a turnover, he just takes the sack and lives another day. Which can be good, but we have gotten in a lot of 3rd and longs and then we can't convert.

And this ^^^^ is what worries me. TE's have been having field days on us since last year. I do think Peterson has played better than KB did last year BUT so far he is still just as much of a liability in the passing game IMO.

:lol: At least Ryan throws the ball away. I think Shaun Hill realizes that he is expected not to mess up, so instead of taking a shot, he will hold on to the ball and take the sack. He rarely throws the ball away. He is so afraid he will make a turnover, he just takes the sack and lives another day. Which can be good, but we have gotten in a lot of 3rd and longs and then we can't convert.

I hear ya there... not complaining and I can't say at this point if it's Ryan or the offensive play calling. Most would agree that we need to open up our offense though. I think our lack of running game so far has contributed to this too though.

I think that biggest option for our passing game is going to be down the seams. I also see that the Oline is pretty weak up the middle, especially against the pass, when going up against quicker DT. Dockett killed your Oline, but i have only watched the 1st half.

Dockett recked havok. He was a monster. Kevin Williams also got a good push against our OLine as well. Down the seems to Davis has worked out well. I would think teams would learn they need to stop those routs, but so far, no one has tried to. Davis scored a TD last week that was the same exact rout against the Vikings. If Davis will get a mismatch against a LB, Hill will throw it up to him

I really like Vernon Davis ..... Ive always been high on him... I think it was more of the scheme and Offensive Coordinator holding him back..... Mike Martz never really used his TE in his schemes.....

Yep and i think that is why we got rid of Martz. Which I still haven't decided if I liked the decision. Yeah our running game wasn't very strong, and yeah Davis had to stay on the line to block, but we actually showed a good offense. Especially when Singletary took over. He told Martz we needed more balance. So Martz actually changed his Greatest Show on Turf offense to an WCO. It worked really well. But in the end, Singletary cut ties with Martz..

First, contrary to popular belief, our running game is really bad.Like really bad. Besides Frank Gore's 2 huge TD runs, our running backs have been stopped at the line. Because our OC (Jimmy Raye) is so stubborn, he refuses to leave the run. He wanted to run the ball 60% of the time. The bad thing about that is, every team is expecting it. A lot of you guys think that you should stack the box and that you will win.. Well first of all that's not an original idea because every team has done that. And it has worked. Our running backs go nowhere. But the problem is that you do not give Shaun Hill credit. He distributes the ball evenly to all playmakers and he simply just wins games. He is 7-0 at home, so hopefully he can continue that trend :P Vernon Davis was looking like one of the biggest bust in history until this season. This year he has scored 3 TDs and is catching everything thrown his way. He is becoming a monster and I think he will make it to his first pro bowl. Coffee is young rookie that everyone insists will be good one day, but with defenses stacking the box he really has no hope to be a factor. I know you guys have a pretty poor run D, but we made the Rams defense look stingy against the run. Overall I see our offense only throwing up 17 points

Good post, especially for a rival fan. But I'm confused as to how you think the niners have a top 5 D when you admit they apply little pressure in the passing game. They stop the run very, very well, but top five defenses put pressure on the QB.

If Ryan isn't pressured, I see him picking the niners defense apart on Sunday and the Falcons will win. If they pressure him consistently, the niners have a chance to win (as you said.) You predicted a 49ers win, so I guess that means you expect the niners will pressure Ryan? Our offensive line has pass blocked pretty well this season, so I don't see a poor pass rushing team getting much pressure without the blitz. And if they do blitz a lot, Ryan's passer rating is like 130 against blitzes this season. I think the falcons win 24-10 this Sunday.

Falcons might lose if Turner can't get it going and Mularky stubbornly keeps running him too much. Hopefully Mularky takes the training wheels off Mat Ryan.

Yep it seems both OCs need to realize when to leave the run. I am one of the first people to insist an offense must be balanced, but when it isn;t working and you keep running it up the middle for a 1 yard gain, something needs to change. Our OC hasn't really adapted yet

Yep it seems both OCs need to realize when to leave the run. I am one of the first people to insist an offense must be balanced, but when it isn;t working and you keep running it up the middle for a 1 yard gain, something needs to change. Our OC hasn't really adapted yet

I thought Knapp was with the seahawks.

Good post, especially for a rival fan. But I'm confused as to how you think the niners have a top 5 D when you admit they apply little pressure in the passing game. They stop the run very, very well, but top five defenses put pressure on the QB.

If Ryan isn't pressured, I see him picking the niners defense apart on Sunday and the Falcons will win. If they pressure him consistently, the niners have a chance to win (as you said.) You predicted a 49ers win, so I guess that means you expect the niners will pressure Ryan? Our offensive line has pass blocked pretty well this season, so I don't see a poor pass rushing team getting much pressure without the blitz. And if they do blitz a lot, Ryan's passer rating is like 130 against blitzes this season. I think the falcons win 24-10 this Sunday.

:lol: Yeah I guess my post was confusing. We have gotten good pressure all year. Parys Haralson, Manny Lawson, Justin Smith, Raye Mcdonald, and even Patrick Willis, have gotten pressure. But at times, like for a full series, it seems like our DLine gets no push and then the opposing QB has all day to throw. Even then, our sencondary is so good we still get a sack. You can even ask the guy who is watching the 49ers, Cardinal game because that happened a lot we. We get a lot of coverage sacks. But yeah our pass rush is good. We have to be top 15 in the league (to lazy to look up the stats). When I said our passrush is sometimes nonexistant, I am not talking about the whole game, but just a series or 2. Either we completely hassle a QB on a rush, or we get no push at all.

I thought Knapp was with the seahawks.

:lol: Yeah Raye might be worse

Hey, welcome to the Falcons' boards. Good to have you here for some discussion. I like your team, I respect it.

I wanted to bring something up, though, that everyone from the 9ers has been using in their argument for the win.

It seems like you guys are taking bits and pieces from each team's offense and defence you've faced and managed and compared them to the Falcons. Let's start with Vikings, though because they're the best team you've faced, you guys barely lost, and their offense actually matches well with ours except for a few things:

(We can argue this all day, but lets just take these as givens)

Vikings VS Falcons offense:

+ is Falcons advantage, - is disadvantage, = is equal.

QB (=)

RB1 (=)

RB2 (+)

WR (=)

TE (+)

FB (+)

OL (-)

While OL is a big deal, it's definitely not a talent issue according to our 2008 numbers rushing. If you can give us that the bye week allows us to fix that problem, then it could be an (=). Either way, however we're still +2 when you account for all positions and don't expect any different in OL blocking quality.

So lets look at our offense compared to your defensive strengths:

LB, followed by DL.

At LB you obviously get the advantage vs our OL, especially if you'd say we're not as impressive at that unit vs the Vikings, and that we're not going to able to fix much during our bye.

However, bringing in Gonzo in the middle completely disrupts the middle of the field, not to mention he's a great blocker as well. We also have one of the better FB blockers in the NFC. Not saying that nullifies your LB corps, but Gonzo is just another thing to worry about.. something you haven't faced yet this year.

To also spread out the LBs we'll have Thunder and Lightening, aka Turner and Norwood.

In addition, Ryan, against the blitz has ridiculous numbers (see Tandy on this one :))

I noted earlier I'm measuring the WR corps as equals when you compare Falcs vs. Vikes. The difference I would see is that we don't have our speedy slot guy this year, we put in a shifty possession reciever, but the thing I want to mention about this "equal" is that since your middle must handle Gonzo, can they handle an outside guy like Roddy at the same time?

Just some things to consider. I'm definitely looking for input from your side. BTW, I didn't go into DL because this crap was already getting long, but basically see Ryan's stats vs the blitz.

Edited by juiceaccts