Sanchez vs Ryan

Falco4

And so, the Sanchez-fest comes to sudden halt in NY. I've spent the last couple of months listening to my Jet-friends boast of how this guy will be leaps and bounds above Flacco and Ryan. I received enough flack from them last year when I told them that Ryan would be a great fit for the Falcons. Now, all of a sudden, The Jets get snapped back to reality when Sanchez has his first rookie moment (and one can argue that Flacco and Ryan never had a rookie game as bad as that). The Jet D quarantined the explosive Saint offense for the most part, and Sanchez more or less blew it for them. Sanchez says he'll be fine in NY because he was used to the spotlight and scrutiny from the USC-centric media in Southern Califronia. But Southern California is nothing like the media in NY. NY media will have a feast with this poor performance.

I'm not saying that Sanchez will be a bust. In fact, I think he will do very well in the future. But I think that leaving 1 year early for the NFL draft really hurt him. Pete Carrol's offense is a pro-style offense; Sanchez would have been better prepared if he had just stayed his senior year. Not to mention, his college career is rather tumultuous to say the least (2006 - charged for sexual assualt, 2007 - spilt time with injured John D Booty). Granted, his 2008 season was exceptional, but it should not have been the litmus test in regards to entering the draft. He is still a little too immature. In comparison, Ryan had been a 3 year starter in college, and not to mention he was in a pro-style offense during his senior year. He was stuck on a stagnant ultra-conservative offense with Tom O'Brien and Dana Bible for '05 and '06. If Jagodzinkski had been there earlier, Ryan's numbers might have been even better. Ryan's senior numbers were impressive considering he did not have any significant offensive weapons. Ryan never had any personal/legal issues in college, which contributes to the mature player he exhibits today.

I wrote this post to highlight two conclusions:

1) Jet fans should not get too high on Sanchez this season. It will only mean a bigger drop in expectations as the season goes on.

2) All this being said, I think that Mularkey needs to open that playbook even more. Ryan put up impressive numbers in college without the weapons that he has today. Giving him only parts of the field, short passes, or check-downs will only make this team 1 dimensional. Defenses need to be scared of Ryan and Turner equally.

3) ATL coaches need to put a little more faith in their offense. We can't be relying on the defense, and we especially cannot punting the ball to the Patriots, who do a good job of moving the chains and wasting clock.

Sanchez has looked pretty darned good so far. He was picked fifth and got a ginormous contract. At the time of the draft, and because of what Carrol was saying, it deserved some healthy debate. Only a fool would question his decision to come out knowing what we know now.

Sanchez has looked pretty darned good so far. He was picked fifth and got a ginormous contract. At the time of the draft, and because of what Carrol was saying, it deserved some healthy debate. Only a fool would question his decision to come out knowing what we know now.

I know that I can't back this up, but at the time of the draft, I really took the position that Sanchez should stay one more year. Like I said, I do think that he will be a good QB in the future, but I refuse to jump on the bandwagon this early in the season. This Jets team is the Ravens of '07-'08. The defense is keeping them in games, but I don't necessarily think that Sanchez is anything special at this point(but he is exceptionally better compared to the other Jet QBs). I've watched every one of their games (I live in NY and am a Giants fan) and I'm not even impressed with his play in their three wins this season. Titans are 0-4, Texans are not special on defense, and the Pats are not the same team as last year (we should have beat them last week).