Falcons to workout three defensive linemen

Statick

Falcons to workout three defensive linemen

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH -- The Falcons are set to give tryouts to three defensive linemen on Tuesday, the team confirmed.

Antwan Lake, Orpheus Roye and Paul Spicer set to visit and workout.

I hope its Spicer. I've wanted us to sign that guy for the longest time. Plus, he's familiar with Smitty's defense.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Spicer was a DE... I don't really see how any of these guys are going to make an impact. If the FO and Smitty are that worried about our DL then TD needs to get on the phone and see who's out there. Then again maybe he has...

This IMO is not a good sign b/c I thought Johnson and Lewis would get the job done with some experience.

I liked the way Lake played when he was here before. Never a starter or big numbers guy, but I liked the way he played on the field. Good effort guy. However, Smitty knows Spicer & he probably has a leg up on everybody just from that.

Roye is listed at 6'4" 330lbs, we could use a big-un like that in the middle.

This can't be good. After re-watching the Patriots game a couple of times myself if we do not get better inside we are in trouble. All of our D-tackles were man handled the entire game to a point of disgrace. Babs got some penitration a couple of times, but when he did they were running away from him so the Olineman just let him in and then fell on him. We have got to start plugging the middle of the line and get some kind of push inside on passing downs. I really am not comfortable with us having to scrape the refuse pile of the NFL D-linemen to find someone who can play four games into the season. The shame is that our LB's are really doing a nice job this year and would even be that much more effective if they didnt have offensive linemen getting to them untouched or having to jump over their own Dlinemen getting pushed back. Our secondary looks much better too, but without a decent pass rush they are going to get beat.

We have to make our Dline our number one priority in the offseason both through the draft and FA. Jerry will be back, but he will be behind a year. Babs, is good but we have got to get a big dominate DT to help out. We also really need to look for at least 1 everydown DE that can stop the run and get pressure.

This is serious question.

Where is Smitty going to go when there are no more former Jags to fall back on. It seems like we go to that bag a lot. It is a good bag. However, it is not an endless pipeline. Maybe it is not as often as it seems to be. I can think of an LB, DB, and potential DL off the top of my head. Did one of the DB's we picked up last year come from there too?

Bring in the Roye man. That guy always showed up whenever I saw the Browns play. We need that big body in the middle.

This would be his 14th season anything left in the tank?

Roye and Lake are DTs

Spicer is a DE

Anyone think there is anything there or just coincidence?

Edited by delaigle

This is serious question.

Where is Smitty going to go when there are no more former Jags to fall back on. It seems like we go to that bag a lot. It is a good bag. However, it is not an endless pipeline. Maybe it is not as often as it seems to be. I can think of an LB, DB, and potential DL off the top of my head. Did one of the DB's we picked up last year come from there too?

he is rebuilding a defense that was in shambles. that doesn't happen over night. we drafted alot of defensive players but they take time to mature and learn the game.

he is rebuilding a defense that was in shambles. that doesn't happen over night. we drafted alot of defensive players but they take time to mature and learn the game.

And they are not there yet, what worries me is:

1. when Douglas went down they could not find a suitable replacement among the WRs on the roster.

Kelly, Godfrey, Lyons, Mougey, Bergeron, Jones. They had to go outside and sign Ferguson and Booker.

Why were those guys there and why had they not already signed Ferguson and Booker earlier?

2. When preseason showed that Grimes, Houston, Jackson, Middleton, Owens were not ready they went outside and signed B Williams and Tye Hill. Why weren't they already on the roster?

3. Now that Jerry goes down they have to go out and search again, Babs, Johnson, Walker and Lewis could not make up for the loss so go outside again.

When will there be players on the roster that can step in and do the job. If TD can find them in the middle of the season why could he not find them earlier?

Edited by delaigle