Caleb King out for 2 to 3 weeks.

SacFalcFan

i disagree.. he will be missed.. he is a very productive back for us who is a terrific blocker.. we will miss him a lot in that area.

not to mention he probably has better receiving skills than the other backs (though it hasn't shown up so far)

Edited by Dawgy

that really stinks.

i agree w/ somebody's comment on samuel. the guy is actually a solid north/south runner-no more sweeps please. haven't we learned anything?

an opportunity was born from this injury though-here's to seeing ealey getting more of the playbook absorbed for saturday.

it doesn't matter who is the one taking the hit.. a helmet to helmet is a 15 yard penalty.. why would you even ask that?

I'm just going by what seems to be the book. I know that a helmet to helmet hit, or any hit to the head of the QB is illegal. I know that you can't place a helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless receiver. I just have never heard of a protection for a running back.

Now while he is engaged in a tackle, and is then hit, that's illegal. I didn't see it at first.

Edited by Faithful Falcon

I'm just going by what seems to be the book. I know that a helmet to helmet hit, or any hit to the head of the QB is illegal. I know that you can't place a helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless receiver. I just have never heard of a protection for a running back.

Now while he is engaged in a tackle, and is then hit, that's illegal. I didn't see it at first.

What book are you talkin about? it sure isn't the rule book.. A helmet to helmet hit is illegal no matter who you are hitting. It would be illegal no matter what was going on, you can't lead with the helmet to tackle someone. You can't do that if you are a linemen either.

fyi it was a helmet to helmet hit which was another call not done by the officiating crew that caused the broken jaw..

Was h e catching a pass when it happened? I thought helmet to helmet was legal against a rb. Kind of hard not to have helmet to helmet when a runner lowers his head at the same time the tackler does.

Was h e catching a pass when it happened? I thought helmet to helmet was legal against a rb. Kind of hard not to have helmet to helmet when a runner lowers his head at the same time the tackler does.

It doesn't matter. Helmet to helmet hits are not allowed. Whether you are a kicker or you are a offensive linemen or you are an RB. You can't lead with the crown of your helmet to tackle anyone. No player shall strike a runner with the crown or top of the helmet. This is a clear violation of that rule and because of that he broke caleb's jaw.

It doesn't matter. Helmet to helmet hits are not allowed. Whether you are a kicker or you are a offensive linemen or you are an RB. You can't lead with the crown of your helmet to tackle anyone. No player shall strike a runner with the crown or top of the helmet. This is a clear violation of that rule and because of that he broke caleb's jaw.

I understand what you're saying but DL and OL hit helmet to helmet all the time on every play. Also you can still have a helmet to helmet hit without using the crown of your head. I guess I'm trying to determine if it's supposed to be an automatic penalty if a rb lowers his head coming through the hole preparing for impact and a lb does the same thing and their is incidental helmet to helmet contact. Who should they call the penalty on since both lowered their head? Also what if it wasn't the crown of the helmet but more along the forehead areas just above the facemasks of each player as they collided? That's still helmet to helmet, but it's not the crown, it's not intentional, and it happens several times in each game on running plays up the middle.

I understand what you're saying but DL and OL hit helmet to helmet all the time on every play. Also you can still have a helmet to helmet hit without using the crown of your head. I guess I'm trying to determine if it's supposed to be an automatic penalty if a rb lowers his head coming through the hole preparing for impact and a lb does the same thing and their is incidental helmet to helmet contact. Who should they call the penalty on since both lowered their head? Also what if it wasn't the crown of the helmet but more along the forehead areas just above the facemasks of each player as they collided? That's still helmet to helmet, but it's not the crown, it's not intentional, and it happens several times in each game on running plays up the middle.

If you lead with your helmet to tackle a runner, receiver, qb it is a personal foul and they could suspend you the next game as well. In the picture I posted it's a clear violation with the defender leading with his helmet. A rb can run with his head down that does not constitute a foul since many rbs do that... however if a defender decides he needs to bring him down leading with his helmet he will get that foul. they also consider the face mask as well as part of the rule. With linemen i have seen personal fouls with head butting. that was a tactic at one time that was used often by dlinemen as a way to stun the opponent in order to get by them.. that is also not allowed.

Helmet-contact penalties refer to the following three rules:

1. Spearing is the deliberate use of the helmet (including the face mask) in an attempt to punish an opponent.

2. No player intentionally shall strike a runner with the crown or top of the helmet.

3. No player intentionally shall use his helmet (including the face mask) to butt or ram an opponent.

If you lead with your helmet to tackle a runner, receiver, qb it is a personal foul and they could suspend you the next game as well. In the picture I posted it's a clear violation with the defender leading with his helmet. A rb can run with his head down that does not constitute a foul since many rbs do that... however if a defender decides he needs to bring him down leading with his helmet he will get that foul. they also consider the face mask as well as part of the rule. With linemen i have seen personal fouls with head butting. that was a tactic at one time that was used often by dlinemen as a way to stun the opponent in order to get by them.. that is also not allowed.

Helmet-contact penalties refer to the following three rules:

1. Spearing is the deliberate use of the helmet (including the face mask) in an attempt to punish an opponent.

2. No player intentionally shall strike a runner with the crown or top of the helmet.

3. No player intentionally shall use his helmet (including the face mask) to butt or ram an opponent.

Those 3 rules above all mention intent as I think they should. It's almost impossible to tackle a rb coming straight at you without having some helmet to helmet contact. Unless of course, you use the "prissy boy" db method and dive at their legs. If a lb did that with a rb coming straight at him he would likely be benched.

Glad to know they make "intent" a part of the ruling; that's important. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to avoid having your head come into contact with someone when you're both moving at full speed toward one another.