The Screen Pass

basedawg

Sitting here watching MNF and was just wandering if our OC is watching as well. I hope he is taking notice of the effectiveness of the screen pass. It seems a no-brainer for our offense especially with Norwood or Snelling in the game. Back in the day, William Andrews would punish peaople on screens. I definetly would like to see us use it a little more.

Sitting here watching MNF and was just wandering if our OC is watching as well. I hope he is taking notice of the effectiveness of the screen pass. It seems a no-brainer for our offense especially with Norwood or Snelling in the game. Back in the day, William Andrews would punish peaople on screens. I definetly would like to see us use it a little more.

No-kidding I have been asking about it for awhile. Its like the falcons are ALLERGIC to the screen pass. they need to do what ever it takes to win and I think Norwood would be flat out scary. ;)

No-kidding I have been asking about it for awhile. Its like the falcons are ALLERGIC to the screen pass. they need to do what ever it takes to win and I think Norwood would be flat out scary. ;)

Agreed. I'm sure Mularkey can conjure up some hidden screen plays for Norwood...make it happen!

I have no earthly clue as to why we haven't used the screen pass though...our offense is built for any style of playcalling.

I agree with you on the screen but I think I see signs that they are comming. Last year I think we had 2 TD passes go to our backs all season and we already have 2 through three games. This is because Gonzo and company are funneling defenders toward them and leaving the backs relatively open underneath. So far this has been the case mostly in the redzone but I think with a healthy Norwood we should have less of a problem getting some of those manageble 3rd downs we have been missing. Getting the backs involved just increase our chances for success.

I also wonder if the opponents have dictated the lack of screens. We have faced some pretty disciplined and less agressive DL, LB, corps so far this season and we will be playing another on Sunday. Matt also seems not too get blitzed as much because he gets the ball out pretty quickly. They have been run blitzing a little to stop the Burner from gaining momentum

I agree with what you are saying. I mean in all honesty if you look at the FALCONS loaded offense you have to use any and all options. If it ain't working then trying something else and I think the Screen Pass is something to consider, especially with a pro-bowl HB like Ovie M. catching or blocking. I must say though, from the games I have saw this year with other teams employing that, it does seem to be kinda like the theme for the NFL this year. Last year it was the Wildcat, this year it's the screen pass.

Either way, I agree, I think the FALCONS need to incorporate that play into the scheme along with all the weapons they have on offense. I think they should keep trying new plays if something isn't working. If a play is working then they should keep doing it until the other team shows they can stop it. When a team shows they can stop that play at that point it's time to try something else and the screen pass would be a nice way of making that next play against a defense to be left wondering "Will it be run or pass or both". JMO....

It seemed the FALCONS and Matt Ryan rolled out right all day against the Pats. They should have tried to play the left corner by running that way and mixing it up or so I thought. I watched a little bit of the Pats/Ravens game and the Pats play almost mirrored the FALCONS play against the Pats, with the exception of the Pats running to the left corners as far as play calling goes. IMO, I know it wasn't exact but the game plan looked similiar IMO.

I'm reaching here I know with these thoughts. I'm gonna get flamed for these thoughts I guess. They are just ideals. Keep in mind I am a FALCONS FAN and I'm just throwing out ideas here like everyone else, so a few sparks on the replies would be cool instead of an all out torch! :D

Edited by Electric Falcon