Rich Mckay

atljbo

I really don't want to be one of those guys because i know some of you guys roost Rich Mckay.... I mean i really really really don't want to be one of those guys....... I have direct tv NFL sunday ticket.

All i have to say is 8 Tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 int (returned for a 23 yard TD)...... Mr. Patrick Willis was a monster today.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Now ... Its no way we can know that Thomas Dimitroff would have draft Patrick Willis or Revis but i know for a fact that TD would have worked out the player (top 10 pick)we drafted...... All i know is tht the Patriots tried to trade up to get Patrick Willis but it would have cost them too many picks (they took Brandon Meriweather with their first 1st round pick then trade their other 1st round pick) ..... Meaning TD the head of the scouting department had to scout the guy and was high on this guy.

as its been said over and over and over again

LB was not nearly as pressing of a need as D-End was.

Anderson has not been what he could ( or should be )

but given everything at that time it was the right pick.

You can go back and look at EVERY draft for EVERY team and do double face palms.

Also I throw this out......who is to say Willis plays as well as he does With Petrino as opposed to Singeltary?

Its the same argument I make when people talk about passing over Ed Reed...... I dont think Ed Reed becomes the Ed Reed we know if he is here in Atlanta.

Now ... Its no way we can know that Thomas Dimitroff would have draft Patrick Willis or Revis but i know for a fact that TD would have worked out the player (top 10 pick)we drafted...... All i know is tht the Patriots tried to trade up to get Patrick Willis but it would have cost them too many picks (they took Brandon Meriweather with their first 1st round pick then trade their other 1st round pick) ..... Meaning TD the head of the scouting department had to scout the guy and was high on this guy.

That's my biggest problem with McKay and the Jamaal pick fiasco. He was absolutely negligent in fulfilling his job duties by failing to personally work out a player we took with our top ten number one pick. How he could justify this in his mind is completely beyond me. Obviously this is one of the reasons Arthur Blank stripped him of all player and coaching decision making responsiblity in the organization. Thanks for nothing McKay!

You can go back and look at EVERY draft for EVERY team and do double face palms.

Also I throw this out......who is to say Willis plays as well as he does With Petrino as opposed to Singeltary?

Its the same argument I make when people talk about passing over Ed Reed...... I dont think Ed Reed becomes the Ed Reed we know if he is here in Atlanta.

i agree that hindsight is 20-20.... I disagree with your Ed Reed and Patrick Willis comments..... Certain guys become special because of the scheme...... Ed Reed and Patrick Willis are the special type of player that you base your scheme around...... They can play in any scheme.... They would just be a great player on a sucky team if a sucky team draft them..... They may not have the same numbers but they would still be great players.

I get what you are saying but some players surpase the "he was draft into the right situation"..... Those 2 guys are just special players.... Regardless of the scheme.

i second this

The problem is McKay did not even work Jamaal out. How the crap do you make the number eight pick in the first round without even personally working the guy out. You can make excuses all day long but the fact is McKay made this pick without doing due diligence for that fact alone he should have been canned from the GM position.

i agree that hindsight is 20-20.... I disagree with your Ed Reed and Patrick Willis comments..... Certain guys become special because of the scheme...... Ed Reed and Patrick Willis are the special type of player that you base your scheme around...... They can play in any scheme.... They would just be a great player on a sucky team if a sucky team draft them..... They may not have the same numbers but they would still be great players.

I get what you are saying but some players surpase the "he was draft into the right situation"..... Those 2 guys are just special players.... Regardless of the scheme.

The ravens never based their scheme around Reed.

He walked into a ravens Defense with all pro's at linebacker, and corner, not to mention a good D line. and a scheme that had won a superbowl already. It was not fit around him.

Reed is a GREAT player but his talents are amplified being in Baltimore, and he never had to be " the guy" He would have had to been here. Brooking wasa good/great player for us but was/is not Ray Lewis, we also did not have one like McCalister, or Boulware(sp) here.

Willis also looks to be a great one....... but I still think the presence of Singaltary has had a HUGE impact on him........ something he would not have had here.

And while he would probably be a good linebacker here I dont know if like you said he would have had the numbers or been As good.

That's my biggest problem with McKay and the Jamaal pick fiasco. He was absolutely negligent in fulfilling his job duties by failing to personally work out a player we took with our top ten number one pick. How he could justify this in his mind is completely beyond me. Obviously this is one of the reasons Arthur Blank stripped him of all player and coaching decision making responsiblity in the organization. Thanks for nothing McKay!

Thats what i have a problem with also..... If i would have heard that Mckay and the coaches worked Jamaal Anderson out and Jamaal Anderson blew them away in the workout.... I would say cool... They work the guy out so they knew what they have. But he draft a guy that he never worked out... Atop 10 draft pick... That's nuts...I was told that allot of scouts and teams drop Jamaal Anderson to a mid-late 1st round prospect because his proday was not overly impressive..... I heard scouts left thinking that he had a normal rated proday when they were expecting a physical freak type workout.... I still feel like Jamaal Anderson has potential but i feel like he is truly a 3-4 DE....

Thats what i have a problem with also..... If i would have heard that Mckay and the coaches worked Jamaal Anderson out and Jamaal Anderson blew them away in the workout.... I would say cool... They work the guy out so they knew what they have. But he draft a guy that he never worked out... Atop 10 draft pick... That's nuts...I was told that allot of scouts and teams drop Jamaal Anderson to a mid-late 1st round prospect because his proday was not overly impressive..... I heard scouts left thinking that he had a normal rated proday when they were expecting a physical freak type workout.... I still feel like Jamaal Anderson has potential but i feel like he is truly a 3-4 DE....

Perfectly stated. If he had worked him out and he seemed like a dominant player fine and good but to not even go to the trouble of working him out is mind blowing. I guess he couldn't fit a work out in between his golf outings. Anybody who excuses this egregious negligence on McKays part has absolutely no crediblity.

The problem is McKay did not even work Jamaal out. How the crap do you make the number eight pick in the first round without even personally working the guy out. You can make excuses all day long but the fact is McKay made this pick without doing due diligence for that fact alone he should have been canned from the GM position.

Mckay's problem in this particular case was he listened to Petrino his head coach too much.

Petrino wanted Anderson because his familiarity with him from his time in college.

that was the logic behind a lot of the picks we made in 07....... because Petrino either played against them ( Nicholas) or had scouted them intensely.

Hindsight it was not the best move.

Perfectly stated. If he had worked him out and he seemed like a dominant player fine and good but to not even go to the trouble of working him out is mind blowing. I guess he couldn't fit a work out in between his golf outings. Anybody who excuses this egregious negligence on McKays part has absolutely no crediblity.

I remember hearing that we worked out Justin Blalock here (flowery branch) and i remember hearing that Quitrino took D.J Shockley and a WR to Arkansas to work out Chris Houston but we did not work out the #8 overall pick...... This post is not to get on Jamaal Anderson.... I feel like the guy is playing out of position..... i just dont get Mckay part.

If you are at Arkansas why not set it up so you could work out both of your Arkansas prospects since they are both high on your board.

Mckay's problem in this particular case was he listened to Petrino his head coach too much.

Petrino wanted Anderson because his familiarity with him from his time in college.

that was the logic behind a lot of the picks we made in 07....... because Petrino either played against them ( Nicholas) or had scouted them intensely.

Just another excuse. The fact is McKay should have personally brought Jamaal in for a workout regardless of whether Petrino was threatening to run around I-285 in diapers if he did. You just don't pick a player especially one that high without doing a workout. Again it boggles the mind that this guy did this. Thanks to Arthur Blank for having the good judgement to can McKay from the GM position.

No... Quitrino wanted Amobi Okoye....Quitrino hinted towards that when he left here..... He said he was not able to draft and pick the players he wanted (among other things)...... Even Amobi Okoye said Quitrino told him that we were going to draft him.

Just another excuse. The fact is McKay should have personally brought Jamaal in for a workout regardless of whether Petrino was threatening to run around I-285 in diapers if he did. You just don't pick a player especially one that high without doing a workout. Again it boggles the mind that this guy did this. Thanks to Arthur Blank for having the good judgement to can McKay from the GM position.

its not an excuse, its fact

juyst because you are an azz who hates mckay and find every excuse to bash him does not mean someone is making an excuse.

He made a mistake guess what EVERY GM does.

You can make a case TD made a mistake with our first two picks.

Jerry is out for the season and was taken despite having a long injury history.

Moore to my knowledge has to even played a snap for us in the regular season. and he MIGHT get to play ST next week.. also another guy with a long injury history.

No... Quitrino wanted Amobi Okoye....Quitrino hinted towards that when he left here..... He said he was not able to draft and pick the players he wanted (among other things)...... Even Amobi Okoye said Quitrino told him that we were going to draft him.

That is the popular story however I do remember as part of the logic behind drafting Anderson was he Petrino was familiar with him and felt D-end was more of a pressing need then DT.

Who really knows though........ I don't think anything Petrino could have said is the truth.