Braves Free Agents that will be Type A & B

Cable Guy

Well, in a perfect world, we offer arbitration to both Raffy and Gonzo, re-sign Raffy to a 2-3 year deal, and get a 1st round pick for Mike, but, alas, we'll probably end up keeping Gonzalez due to him being the cheaper option. As for Hudson and LaRoche, Hudson will most definitely be back, with us declining his option and him signing a more team-friendly contract (probably in the range of 8-9m a season for about 3 years). Adam is a more interesting story. We'd like to sign him, but is his typical 2nd half surge going to price him out of our range (a team like the Mets could conceivably throw a good amount of money at him), and if it hasn't...will he want a long-term commitment from us because that simply isn't an option with Freeman in the wings. A 3-year deal worth about $30m is all I'd give him. Anderson is a strict no. He's too old, and we lose too much defensively with him out there (not to mention Heyward just chomping at the bit to get a chance in the majors).

Sounds about right ATL. As for 1B, Prado will play there until Freeman is ready. Heyward should should start in LF next year. I say let both Gonzo and Raffy go and take the extra 4 picks. Bring up Valdez from Gwinnett. Also if Huddy comes back we will have 6 SP's. To me the 1 SP that is left out is KK. Try him and Medlen at closer and see what happens.

Sounds about right ATL. As for 1B, Prado will play there until Freeman is ready. Heyward should should start in LF next year. I say let both Gonzo and Raffy go and take the extra 4 picks. Bring up Valdez from Gwinnett. Also if Huddy comes back we will have 6 SP's. To me the 1 SP that is left out is KK. Try him and Medlen at closer and see what happens.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

If anything the Braves would probably look to deal either KK or Lowe in a salary dump. I also believe that Moylan would get a look for closer before either Medlen/KK.

ATLBrave pretty much nailed it, although I don't have any problem resigning Mike over Rafael.... I would love to have ONE closer for the season.

I like the idea of re-signing Hudson to a long-term deal, but that is his decision, not ours. He could be arguably the 2nd best SP on the market, after Lackey, and could command more than $8-9mil per year. I want Huddy back, and his family loves it here (Kim is incredibly involved in the community).

Someone mentioned Jason Heyward in LF..... why? He has arguably the best arm in our minor OFs, significantly better than Matt Diaz. Assuming we add no one, I think we could see a LF- McLouth CF- Schafer RF- Heyward.

Here is one trade that, financially, makes sense, and could help out both teams: Derek Lowe for Derek Lee.

Lee is at the end of a fat contract, but, a bit like Lowe, no longer earns top dollar. The Cubs are looking to lose Harden, and could use the dependability of a guy like Lowe (and a sinkerballer in Wrigley is ideal).

Lee fits us perfectly, and the Cubs have a number of 1B/LF options to fill in for Lee. We don't save in terms of salary, but I think that would be an ideal deal.

ATLBrave pretty much nailed it, although I don't have any problem resigning Mike over Rafael.... I would love to have ONE closer for the season.

I like the idea of re-signing Hudson to a long-term deal, but that is his decision, not ours. He could be arguably the 2nd best SP on the market, after Lackey, and could command more than $8-9mil per year. I want Huddy back, and his family loves it here (Kim is incredibly involved in the community).

Someone mentioned Jason Heyward in LF..... why? He has arguably the best arm in our minor OFs, significantly better than Matt Diaz. Assuming we add no one, I think we could see a LF- McLouth CF- Schafer RF- Heyward.

Here is one trade that, financially, makes sense, and could help out both teams: Derek Lowe for Derek Lee.

Lee is at the end of a fat contract, but, a bit like Lowe, no longer earns top dollar. The Cubs are looking to lose Harden, and could use the dependability of a guy like Lowe (and a sinkerballer in Wrigley is ideal).

Lee fits us perfectly, and the Cubs have a number of 1B/LF options to fill in for Lee. We don't save in terms of salary, but I think that would be an ideal deal.

I've just heard Hudson publicly say that he wants to remain a Brave, and I'm quite positive he'll take a discount to stay here. I think, actually I know, that the Braves will offer him a more than fair deal for him, and will give Huddy that financial and contractual security for the rest of his career. His wife and he have made their permanent home in our area (I'm fairly certain he lives around Auburn) and doesn't want to leave. As far as the Derrek Lee trade you just mentioned, I'd...have to say that I agree with that deal. I've actually thought about it myself as well. Although he missed 20 games this season, he still played exceptionally well and is still the same great player defensively.

Ugh. Really don't want any part of Derrek Lee. Injuries and age have sapped just about all of his effectiveness. I would rather keep Lowe; he's far more likely to rebound with a good season than Lee.

Why does Derek Lee need to rebound? He hit 35 HR, 111 RBI, .972 OPS all from the RIGHT side of the plate... sounds like something that would be exactly what we would want... not sure what it would take to get him but saying he's old and damaged goods is far from the truth

He had a nice season this year. He's also 33 years old and has a history of injury problems. Even this season he missed 20 games. His OPS over the last five seasons have been 1.080 (!), .842, .913, .823, and .972. It's the last one that really bucks the trend, and I would be very surprised if he matches it again. He's owed $13 million next season.

I guess I'm also not quite as eager to get rid of Derek Lowe as the rest of you.

I'm not eager to get rid of Lowe, he is a consistent pitcher who I would put on the mound for a playoff game in a heartbeat.

In addition, I have mentioned on this board that, although a stretch, Derek Lowe was once a great closer for BOS.... just saying.

But unloading 2 years of a salary and gaining a RH 1B with huge power, hits for average, and plays great defense..... I just don't see how it isn't a great move. Plus this works into our plans to have Freddie Freeman our future 1B.

This is purely speculation at this point, but you have two declining players, swapping strength for strength. If I'm Wren, I pull the trigger tomorrow.

He had a nice season this year. He's also 33 years old and has a history of injury problems. Even this season he missed 20 games. His OPS over the last five seasons have been 1.080 (!), .842, .913, .823, and .972. It's the last one that really bucks the trend, and I would be very surprised if he matches it again. He's owed $13 million next season.

I guess I'm also not quite as eager to get rid of Derek Lowe as the rest of you.

he played in more games than anyone on our team outside of Chipper! (Chipper played 143 and Yunel 141 tied with Lee)... his lowest OPS of the last 5 years is right around what McCann hit this year... and his average OPS of the 5 years is .926 again higher than anyone on our team this year except for LaRoche. Which is ahead of most the people on our team and way ahead of most. Ask yourself what we need more.. A Right handed hitting solid power 1st baseman or a starting pitcher who last year statically would have been our 5th starter?

he played in more games than anyone on our team outside of Chipper! (Chipper played 143 and Yunel 141 tied with Lee)...

Yes, he bucked his trend this year and had a nice season. I think I mentioned that. Escobar and Jones are also the only non-catchers on the roster that remained starters for the team all season, so it's not necessarily relevent that he played more games then anyone in particular on our team.

his lowest OPS of the last 5 years is right around what McCann hit this year... and his average OPS of the 5 years is .926 again higher than anyone on our team this year except for LaRoche.

You're comparing a first baseman to a catcher, so I would expect the first baseman to have a better OPS. And why are you comparing his average over the last 5 seasons to one year for anyone else? Also, his OPS over the last five seasons has been .938, not .926... so I guess I'm helping your arguement? :)

Which is ahead of most the people on our team and way ahead of most. Ask yourself what we need more.. A Right handed hitting solid power 1st baseman or a starting pitcher who last year statically would have been our 5th starter?

I think we need both, and I think we can do better than Lee. I'm actually not convinced that we need more "right-handed power", we simply need more power. LaRoche would be a better option in 2010 IMO, and we could likely get LaRoche for less than $13 million and we wouldn't have to give up Lowe for him either.

Like I said, I suspect I'm not as eager to trade Lowe as much as the rest of you. I suspect that most people are looking at this as "to whom can we dump Lowe on, and what could we get back?". I don't look at it that way.

I agree about Lowe. It would be different if all his pitches were straight as a string and he was getting hammered. But he still had very good movement on his pitches and at times was very, very good especially if he is gonna be our 4th or 5th starter next year. It wouldn't surprise if he bounced back and had a very good year next year with an ERA under 4.

Now my opinion of Chipper is that he just got really wore down the final couple of months. He played in 143 games which was his most since 2003. People thought he was falling off the planet in 2004 because that was the 1st year he was hurt alot and he only batted .248 that year. But he bounced back nicely and I have no reason to think he won't bounce back and have another .300 average next year.

Yes, he bucked his trend this year and had a nice season. I think I mentioned that. Escobar and Jones are also the only non-catchers on the roster that remained starters for the team all season, so it's not necessarily relevent that he played more games then anyone in particular on our team.

You're comparing a first baseman to a catcher, so I would expect the first baseman to have a better OPS. And why are you comparing his average over the last 5 seasons to one year for anyone else? Also, his OPS over the last five seasons has been .938, not .926... so I guess I'm helping your arguement? :)

I think we need both, and I think we can do better than Lee. I'm actually not convinced that we need more "right-handed power", we simply need more power. LaRoche would be a better option in 2010 IMO, and we could likely get LaRoche for less than $13 million and we wouldn't have to give up Lowe for him either.

Like I said, I suspect I'm not as eager to trade Lowe as much as the rest of you. I suspect that most people are looking at this as "to whom can we dump Lowe on, and what could we get back?". I don't look at it that way.

bucked what trend? he played in 155 games last year and 150 the year before... the guy broke his wrist or something 3 years ago and missed some time but thats not being "injury prone".... I wasnt comparing Lee to McCann as 1st baseman to catcher... I was comparing his OPS to everyone on our teams OPS McCann being the highest (well Diaz had .878 to McCann's .834 but its debatable if he was an everyday player)... I think its very relevant when you have a chance to pick up a player who projects to play in as many games, hit more homers, drive in more runs, and have a higher OPS all while playing gold glove caliber defense on the team he would be going to. Not sure why you say that isnt relevant... Would he provide similar numbers to LaRoche... maybe... but his career 1st half OPS is .870 compared to LaRoche's .784

I would like to see us get 4 picks for Soriano and Gonzo. Just a quick question. If a player accepts arb can you still trade them or do you have to keep them on your roster? Is that why we had to trade Millwood back in 2003? when Maddux accepted arb?

I believe you can still trade a player if he accepts arbitration, but that was definitely the reason we dealt Millwood.

bucked what trend?

The trend of diminishing production from Derrek Lee since his career season of 2005. He bounced back this season after three (relatively) poor seasons. At age 33, him having the second-best season of his career was surprising.

I wasnt comparing Lee to McCann as 1st baseman to catcher... I was comparing his OPS to everyone on our teams OPS McCann being the highest (well Diaz had .878 to McCann's .834 but its debatable if he was an everyday player)...

You compared Lee's 5-year average production to McCann's production in 2009. I think what you are trying to say is that Lee had a better offensive season than any one person on the Braves 2009 roster. If that's what you mean to say, then you would be correct.

I think its very relevant when you have a chance to pick up a player who projects to play in as many games, hit more homers, drive in more runs, and have a higher OPS all while playing gold glove caliber defense on the team he would be going to. Not sure why you say that isnt relevant... Would he provide similar numbers to LaRoche... maybe... but his career 1st half OPS is .870 compared to LaRoche's .784

Go back and read what I was saying. The fact that Lee played as many or more games as anyone on our team is irrelevent because we only had two non-catchers that remained everyday players for the Braves through the entire season. The reason for that mostly didn't have anything to do with injuries -- Prado took over for KJ because of performance, we traded for McLouth and LaRoche midseason, and the Francouer trade switched Anderson and Diaz from platoon players to everyday players. So the fact that he played about the same number of games as Escobar and Chipper (two players who, like Lee missed time because of injuries)... is irrelevent.

I didn't say adding Lee would be irrelevent. It would be very relevent. It may even improve the ball club. But I think we can do better.

We dont need to get rid of anyone in our bullpen.

There is no way we can afford to keep both Soriano and Gonzo. Soriano made over 6 mil this year and as ****** as his 2nd half was let someone else have him. Gonzo made over 3 mil this year and will want top closer money. Will that be with the Braves or somewhere else? No matter what we do we need to get a couple of 6th, 7th inning guys. I'm thinking guys like David Weathers or Dan Wheeler. Guys who have postseason experience isn't necessary but would be a plus. I saw where MLB Trade Rumors projects Justin Miller to be a non-tender guy and I would jump on him in a heartbeat. He has really good stuff and has given the Braves fits in the past when he was with the Marlins.

I hope he stays. Soriano needs to go.

You keep saying this, and I don't know why.

.194/.267/.319

That's the line of a dominating reliever. He pitched in 77 games, finished 52 of them, saved 87% of his opportunities. Yes, he blew a couple tough games for us, but every closer in baseball blows a few.

He'll be the best reliever in free agency.

You keep saying this, and I don't know why.

.194/.267/.319

That's the line of a dominating reliever. He pitched in 77 games, finished 52 of them, saved 87% of his opportunities. Yes, he blew a couple tough games for us, but every closer in baseball blows a few.

He'll be the best reliever in free agency.

Because in his 2 full years with the Braves he has been bad in the 2nd half of the season for us. He's been completely unhittable in the 1st half and gets hit in the 2nd half. I'd much rather have a guy who may not be as dominate but is more consistent throughout the season. Also I was thinking more about money too. Gonzo is about 3 mil cheaper than Soriano too going off this year's salary. Who knows how much they will get on the open market and now we have to worry about re-signing Huddy.