Do you think Roddy White deserve the contract he received

atlmycity

Roddy White  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of reciever is he?

I remember getting on here and telling people that Roddy White was a average reciever, but not a Elite receiver and i got chewed out about how great he was. I mean if you actually look at it a elite receiver is good with yards after the catch and has great hands.

The only good thing i saw Roddy do last season was be good on 3rd downs and drop passes that counted. Im pleased with Tony Gonzales though.

It seems he's gonna be a nice td machine for us. Roddy dropped passes from Ryan and several passes also when Vick was here and thats one of the reasons Vick completion % was so low. Hopefully Roddy will step it up a little after the bye week. IMO he's average at best. As long as he held out of training camp to get his great contract he shouldnt drop a thing.Thank god we have Tony Gonzales and Micheal Jenkins. You'd think with the addition of Tony Gonzales Roddy would be able to get open more and pose more of a threat, but thats not the case.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way, easily TD's biggest mistake this offseason was giving White that contract.

Jenkins is solid enough. Douglas will be back in the future. Gonzalez is a freak. Finneran and Booker are good possesion guys. Norwood can play receiver.

That money needed to go elsewhere. I don't understand why we gave in when Roddy is stuck with us for 2 more years anyways.

I disagree. I think that Roddy White is an up and coming star in this league. The only mistake made was to allow the negotiations go so late. Roddy should have been in camp early and working with Ryan.

TD is not a fool. He gave both Jenkins and White strong contracts because he values their receiving skills, willingness to block down field and excellent character. Even though Chad Johnson is a better receiver, I would still rather have Roddy White than "Ocho Cinco."

By mid season, no one will doubt Roddy's contract. For all you fantasy football folks, find the guy that has Roddy and steal him.

I disagree. I think that Roddy White is an up and coming star in this league. The only mistake made was to allow the negotiations go so late. Roddy should have been in camp early and working with Ryan.

TD is not a fool. He gave both Jenkins and White strong contracts because he values their receiving skills, willingness to block down field and excellent character. Even though Chad Johnson is a better receiver, I would still rather have Roddy White than "Ocho Cinco."

By mid season, no one will doubt Roddy's contract. For all you fantasy football folks, find the guy that has Roddy and steal him.

I agree, just a slow start. Lots of them around the league right now.

Jenkins was a great move, but Jenkins is more reliable than Roddy. Roddy is a sloppy receiver that can make great catches, but he misses the easy ones.

He is not an elite receiver like the Andre Johnson's and Steve Smith's of the NFL, and he never will be.

He is very good, but he's not nearly worth that contract. Jenkins makes half as much and is doing better so far.

No way, easily TD's biggest mistake this offseason was giving White that contract.

Jenkins is solid enough. Douglas will be back in the future. Gonzalez is a freak. Finneran and Booker are good possesion guys. Norwood can play receiver.

That money needed to go elsewhere. I don't understand why we gave in when Roddy is stuck with us for 2 more years anyways.

I was thinking the same exact thing, after all these years you'd think Roddy's drops would stop. I have never been that impressed with him since Vick was here. I thought he improved when Joey was here and with Matt Ryan ,but i mean there is no phukn excuse for this guy to still be dropping catchable balls. With the addition of Tony Gonzales there is no excuse. Some swear me up and down that this guy is an Elite reciever but he cant even catch passes in double coverage like most elite recievers do and his yards after the catch ant really any thing to jump up and down about.

Edited by atlmycity

Jenkins was a great move, but Jenkins is more reliable than Roddy. Roddy is a sloppy receiver that can make great catches, but he misses the easy ones.

He is not an elite receiver like the Andre Johnson's and Steve Smith's of the NFL, and he never will be.

He is very good, but he's not nearly worth that contract. Jenkins makes half as much and is doing better so far.

He sure in the h-ell is. Who was the guy Ryan trusted with the game on the line? Go back and look at that catch jenkins made with 6 sec left on the clock against the Bears last season. Hmm lets see who made Matty Ice's first NFL pass a TD? hmm lets see. It was Jenkins thats right. Who was the guy that dropped a TD pass right in his hands in the Denver game? Hmmmm it was Roddy. Who? thats right it was Mr. Roddy White my friend.

An up and coming star? How many years has Roddy been in the league?

Exactly this is his 5th year. He looks like he regressed this season.

5th year, 2 probowl quality seasons after his third year break out (which is typical for most NFL positions), slow start in his fifth year after the addition of a hall of fame tight end. Just give up.

5th year, 2 probowl quality seasons after his third year break out (which is typical for most NFL positions), slow start in his fifth year after the addition of a hall of fame tight end. Just give up.

I'm not saying he sucks. I'm saying he in no way whatsoever deserves to be the 2nd highest paid WR in the league when he is about the 10th best.

I'm not saying he sucks. I'm saying he in no way whatsoever deserves to be the 2nd highest paid WR in the league when he is about the 10th best.

He's better than that and we both know it. He's a top 5 player, he's off to a slow start this year, we don't throw deep as much as some other teams and that's one of his strengths. I've seen the Raven's go deep 5 or 6 times in the first half of the Patriots game... but maybe it's because Joe Flacco is a better QB than Matt Ryan? You wanna make that argument too?

He's better than that and we both know it. He's a top 5 player, he's off to a slow start this year, we don't throw deep as much as some other teams and that's one of his strengths. I've seen the Raven's go deep 5 or 6 times in the first half of the Patriots game... but maybe it's because Joe Flacco is a better QB than Matt Ryan? You wanna make that argument too?

Fitzgerald, Boldin, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith, Greg Jennings, and Randy Moss are all easily better than Roddy.

They are all CLUTCH. Roddy has never, EVER, EVER in his 5 years been clutch, EVER! He disappears on the big drives that we need to win a game. Jenkins becomes the #1 receiver at that point.

Fitzgerald, Boldin, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith, Greg Jennings, and Randy Moss are all easily better than Roddy.

They are all CLUTCH. Roddy has never, EVER, EVER in his 5 years been clutch, EVER! He disappears on the big drives that we need to win a game. Jenkins becomes the #1 receiver at that point.

He was among the best in the league last year with 3rd down catches. Man has ONE dropped at the end of the Denver game and he's a choker. That's all it boils down to, it really is. If he does disappear, it should probably be attributed to the defense knowing he's the guy to worry about. Because he is.

And he was interfered with on that Denver play.

He was among the best in the league last year with 3rd down catches. Man has ONE dropped at the end of the Denver game and he's a choker. That's all it boils down to, it really is. If he does disappear, it should probably be attributed to the defense knowing he's the guy to worry about. Because he is.

And he was interfered with on that Denver play.

Not just that drop. He is never even thrown to when we're trying to make a late drive because he never gets open. We have to start throwing to everyone else.

And you can't just say he's being well covered to prevent him from making the play. Because somehow Moss, Fitz, Smith, the Johnson's, Jennings...they all find ways to get open and hekp their team get down the field.

Not just that drop. He is never even thrown to when we're trying to make a late drive because he never gets open. We have to start throwing to everyone else.

And you can't just say he's being well covered to prevent him from making the play. Because somehow Moss, Fitz, Smith, the Johnson's, Jennings...they all find ways to get open and hekp their team get down the field.

Moss, Fritz and Johnson are all physical freaks. But at the same time, maybe it can be attributed to their QB's forcing stuff that they probably shouldn't and it just working out for the best. Maybe Matt Ryan is tentative about forcing it to Roddy when the game is on the line, maybe because he actually has other good receivers too. Most of those players you listed, don't play across from other good receivers.

Moss, Fritz and Johnson are all physical freaks. But at the same time, maybe it can be attributed to their QB's forcing stuff that they probably shouldn't and it just working out for the best. Maybe Matt Ryan is tentative about forcing it to Roddy when the game is on the line, maybe because he actually has other good receivers too. Most of those players you listed, don't play across from other good receivers.

exactly they don't have good receivers across from them so defenses can put more coverage on the #1 receiver to keep him shut down during drives at the end of the games. Yet somehow these guys still find ways to get open and help their teams win games.

It's nothing about forcing anything, they are getting the balls to the receivers because the receivers get open and take the ball down the field.

a great example is Greg Jennings a couple of games ago getting open so Rodgers could hit him for the TD 50 yards down the field and get the go ahead touchdown.

Roddy have never, EVER done that. EVER.

exactly they don't have good receivers across from them so defenses can put more coverage on the #1 receiver to keep him shut down during drives at the end of the games. Yet somehow these guys still find ways to get open and help their teams win games.

It's nothing about forcing anything, they are getting the balls to the receivers because the receivers get open and take the ball down the field.

a great example is Greg Jennings a couple of games ago getting open so Rodgers could hit him for the TD 50 yards down the field and get the go ahead touchdown.

Roddy have never, EVER done that. EVER.

Different players, different schemes. You can't really compare them. This offense is predicated on taking what the defense gives you, Ryan doesn't usually need to force anything deep and Roddy doesn't have to play that way, Roddy is more of a physical receiver and can take underneath stuff for long gains if need be. My mentioning of Ryan having other weapons, while I get your argument, was more about the fact that Ryan doesn't have to throw it to him all the time. It's been said a million times already by players, this is a pick your poison offense. If they want to double Roddy, it just leaves someone else open for a big game. Roddy doesn't have to be thrown to every play for this team to be successful, sure it helps, and I'd like to see it.

Different players, different schemes. You can't really compare them. This offense is predicated on taking what the defense gives you, Ryan doesn't usually need to force anything deep and Roddy doesn't have to play that way, Roddy is more of a physical receiver and can take underneath stuff for long gains if need be. My mentioning of Ryan having other weapons, while I get your argument, was more about the fact that Ryan doesn't have to throw it to him all the time. It's been said a million times already by players, this is a pick your poison offense. If they want to double Roddy, it just leaves someone else open for a big game. Roddy doesn't have to be thrown to every play for this team to be successful, sure it helps, and I'd like to see it.

And if Roddy doesn't need to be thrown to often, he doesn't need to be paid $8.5 million a year.

This isn't about is Roddy a good receiver, it's about him deserving such a large contract.

and he doesn't.

And if Roddy doesn't need to be thrown to often, he doesn't need to be paid $8.5 million a year.

This isn't about is Roddy a good receiver, it's about him deserving such a large contract.

and he doesn't.

It's fair market value for the stats he's put up the last 2 seasons, it's that simple. His numbers have been among the leagues best, and we did what we had to do to lock him up. No player deserves the money they get. Matt Ryan got a 72 million dollar contract before ever playing a down in the NFL.

It's fair market value for the stats he's put up the last 2 seasons, it's that simple. His numbers have been among the leagues best, and we did what we had to do to lock him up. No player deserves the money they get. Matt Ryan got a 72 million dollar contract before ever playing a down in the NFL.

there was no need to lock him up. He would have to be with us for the next 2 seasons anyways.

He could hold out, but he would've kept getting fined so much he'd have to come back to have any money left.

there was no need to lock him up. He would have to be with us for the next 2 seasons anyways.

He could hold out, but he would've kept getting fined so much he'd have to come back to have any money left.

They wanted to pay him. They wanted him to be here, because he's a **** fine receiver. They didn't want him to sit out or be unhappy. Why would they when they intended on paying him anyway?

They wanted to pay him. They wanted him to be here, because he's a **** fine receiver. They didn't want him to sit out or be unhappy. Why would they when they intended on paying him anyway?

Pay him, but don't overpay him. as the topic asks, did he deserve the contract he received. He deserved a bigger contract, but he in no way, shape, or form deserved to be the #2 highest paid receiver.

Edited by Dharma Initiative

Why am I not surprised that you're bashing the falcons?