We need a Playoff System in College Football

It's beyond me that you would let a computer decide who plays for the National Championship. It's almost to the point that only certain team actually have a shot. I have heard people talk about 8 teams, and that's BS as well. You have 11 FCS Conferences, and the Independents. Top two teams from every conference gets in, while the top seeds have a first round bye. 12 wild card teams from any conference. As the At Large. The wild cards play the number two seeds in week one, and draw it up from there on.

SEC vs C-USA, ACC vs Sun Belt, Big East vs MAC, Big 12 vs MWC, Big 10 vs Independents, PAC 10 vs WAC.

This is just a thought. What do you think?

Edited by Faithful Falcon

It's beyond me that you would let a computer decide who plays for the National Championship. It's almost to the point that only certain team actually have a shot. I have heard people talk about 8 teams, and that's BS as well. You have 11 FCS Conferences, and the Independents. Top two teams from every conference gets in, while the top seeds have a first round bye. 12 wild card teams from any conference. As the At Large. The wild cards play the number two seeds in week one, and draw it up from there on.

SEC vs C-USA, ACC vs Sun Belt, Big East vs MAC, Big 12 vs MWC, Big 10 vs Independents, PAC 10 vs WAC.

This is just a thought. What do you think?

I'm for any kind of playoff, if its just one extra game that would be nice, but I think we need more than that but it would be a start.

Take the top 24 teams (not limited to FBS teams anymore) and put them into the playoffs. The rest can still be eligible for minor bowl games.

Week 1: Teams 1-8 have a bye week. Teams 9-24 play each other (8 games).

Week 2: Teams 1-8 play the winners from Week 1. (8 games - 16 total).

Week 3: The remaining 8 teams play. (4 games - 20 total).

Week 4: The remaining 4 teams play. (2 games - 22 total).

Week 5: The final 2 teams play for the National Championship (1 game - 23 total).

i think it should be the top 32 teams...meaning wed have to change the top 25 to something else but i do believe that the BCS computers can still be put into play. if we do this overhauling of the BCS, which honestly i dont think it will happen for another 5-10 years,its going to take a lot of thinking behind it cause u cant please everyone

I think it would be very hard to put a playoff system in college football and the ONLY way I think it would work is if a major realignment were to occur making all the conferences equal in number of teams and number of powerhouse teams with only the conference champions making the playoffs.

Then you'd still get the argument that a stronger runner-up team should be in instead of a weak champion.

You can't take the top 24 teams simply because those 24 are still selected by BCS computers or some subjective polling system. You'll still get the argument from #25 that they shouldn't have been left out.

In all honesty, I love the idea of a playoff but the current system works pretty well. Neither are without their criticisms...

I think it would be very hard to put a playoff system in college football and the ONLY way I think it would work is if a major realignment were to occur making all the conferences equal in number of teams and number of powerhouse teams with only the conference champions making the playoffs.

Then you'd still get the argument that a stronger runner-up team should be in instead of a weak champion.

You can't take the top 24 teams simply because those 24 are still selected by BCS computers or some subjective polling system. You'll still get the argument from #25 that they shouldn't have been left out.

In all honesty, I love the idea of a playoff but the current system works pretty well. Neither are without their criticisms...

It only works well in the end. It took a sacrifice of some good teams to make it work well. Sure Florida probably deserves to be there in the end, but it doesn't constitute that you can win or lose any given day. Just say if you met a decent BYU team in the playoffs. You have a strong chance of being upset, and the loss would be fair. All of this garbage about the best conference here and there can be debunked. The whole conference does not play on an all-star team. They are all individual.

It only works well in the end. It took a sacrifice of some good teams to make it work well. Sure Florida probably deserves to be there in the end, but it doesn't constitute that you can win or lose any given day. Just say if you met a decent BYU team in the playoffs. You have a strong chance of being upset, and the loss would be fair. All of this garbage about the best conference here and there can be debunked. The whole conference does not play on an all-star team. They are all individual.

I don't disagree with any of that but you can't overlook that there's no way to resolve the fact that some subjective polling system will be used to determine playoff seedings and the #25 team will surely be able to make an argument as to why it belongs. To me, that's no different than what we already have...

I don't disagree with any of that but you can't overlook that there's no way to resolve the fact that some subjective polling system will be used to determine playoff seedings and the #25 team will surely be able to make an argument as to why it belongs. To me, that's no different than what we already have...

I know your not serious with that. You don't see a difference in a playoff system to the BCS system? Seriously?

I see what you are saying, but I wasn't talking about the top 25. I was talking about every conference having a chance. Poll are always screwing someone. First thing would be to do away with the independents, and either make them join a conference, or bring a new conference in. Take 12 conferences, and the top two teams make the playoffs. Then, have 8 wild cards from any of the 12.

Take the top 24 teams (not limited to FBS teams anymore) and put them into the playoffs. The rest can still be eligible for minor bowl games.

Perhaps you didn't see the part in parentheses? You scrap the 'elite conferences' from the ranking system. All Div 1 teams go into the computer system to determine your top 24. I'm not saying that it's perfect, but it gives some teams a fighting chance at the NC. I remember a few years ago when UGA had a really good team, but lost 2 games early in the season (due to key injuries) to take them out of contention. They finished in the top 25 that year and could have had a fighting chance at the NC.

I know your not serious with that. You don't see a difference in a playoff system to the BCS system? Seriously?

In the end, no because #25 (and others) will yell about how the polls screwed them out of the playoffs and so to me, it's just as subjective as the BCS system. Now if you do a major realignment of the conferences so that the power is evenly distributed between 12 conferences and only the conference championship game teams made the playoffs then it would be different but that's not going to happen...

I see what you are saying, but I wasn't talking about the top 25. I was talking about every conference having a chance. Poll are always screwing someone. First thing would be to do away with the independents, and either make them join a conference, or bring a new conference in. Take 12 conferences, and the top two teams make the playoffs. Then, have 8 wild cards from any of the 12.

I'd love to see that happen but one of the probs is that Notre Dame will never join a conference. They make too much money not being in one.

Right now there's 11 conferences:

ACC - 12

SEC - 12

Big 12 - 12

Big East - 8

Big Ten - 11

Conference USA - 12

Mid-American - 13

Mountain West - 9

PAC 10 - 10

Sun Belt - 9

WAC - 9

Independents - 3 (ND, Army and Navy)

That's 120 schools. The only way to make 12 conferences work is to either back each conference down to 10 or elevate 24 lower division schools up. I don't see either of these scenarios happening unfortunately. How many teams would voluntarily leave the SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big Ten?