UGA followers please weigh in!

aPureTerror

There are somethings that I have been trying to hold onto about a certain player (hoping he'd prove me wrong) and somethings that are just about today's game. The one thing that I've been trying to hold onto is my thoughts about Richard Samuel,if any of you knew me personally, you would know how much I state over and over that he is just simply not cut out to be a running back. I don't claim to be some pro scout, but it's clear to see why RS has not had much success in our 1st 5 games. Obviously it's not like the O-Line has been blowing ppl away with the run blocking, but good running backs are those that get more than the yards provided by the O-line. When I look at the skill set of the running back position I see the following qualities:

Vision/setting up blocks

Cutback ability

acceleration

patience

a stiff arm

spin moves

lateral quickness/agility

a "change of gears"

power/breaking tackles

balance

the ability to stop/start without losing much speed

There may be more. But when I look at RS I just simply don't see most of these qualities. If you've seen RS all of this year you should agree that RS is a one gear, get the ball and go straight ahead running back. To be honest, I would actually say that RS has been a liability for the team this year. There have been so many runs where he just simply ran right into a tackle, he doesn't see cutback lanes, he has no shake and bake to his game, no stiff arm, he's not a sudden short area burst type runner. RS has started for us in all 5 games and to be honest I could probably count on one hand the amount of really good runs that he's had this year. I really hate to sound like I'm picking on the guy, because I am the most supportive UGA fan that you'll ever met. But I just can't deny what I see.

IF any of you have Comcast On Demand, you may know how great it is to be able to go back and watch the games, rewind the plays over and watch certain players on certain plays. Not counting the LSU game, I've watched all the games AT LEAST two times. It's amazing how much you don't see when watching the game live. For instance, in the ASU game, when Joe Cox threw his 2nd INT, Aron White ran an underneath crossing route and was completely wide open (for those that didn't see). While watching the games over again, I was able to see several instances where a more natural running would have easily gotten more yards.

But anyway, on a final note about RS... I said to my brother a few weeks ago, "mark my word, if the coaches see what I see, RS will see his carries drop off at some point in the near future." I may be wrong, but RS didn't have any carries in the 2nd half did he? I believe we are better off with our 1-2 punch being King and Ealey. I would rather see Thomas getting carries over Samuel. I believe King, Ealey and Thomas are all "natural" runners, while Samuel is a strong physical guy just playing RB.

On to some other observations:

Man oh man, Cox struggled early.

Boykin... great INT!!! Now just take the free 20 yards.

That overthrow to Green (no one would have caught him) and the missed FG means we left a very crucial 10 pts on the field.

I am VERY happy with the play of our front 4 Weston and Owens were tossing guys around out there.

I'm still very puzzled when it comes to our run blocking. While the passing pro couldn't be much better, I just don't understand how we've regressed so much with the run blocking. As well all know, this is the same group from last year.

I don't know if any of you noticed it like I did, but I have never seen a game with so many "almost" plays. J.Houston ALMOST had Jefferson on that long run. Boykin arrived a split second late on that corner blitz when they converted that 3 & long. On one of the completions to Tolliver, P.Miller ALMOST deflected the ball away, same thing with one of Boykin's plays. I'm sure they're more that I can't think of.

Of course I can't not leave without talking about the officials. First off, I was shocked when they flagged Orson Charles. I have seen him do that same thing at least 3 or 4 times this year without it being an issue. I'm certain that he was caught off guard to see the flag being thrown. Of course the HORRIBLE HORRIBLE call on AJ. That type of call is just simply not fair, to make that call in that situation and change the game like that is just a shame.

Two questions: Did anybody see the lineman pull Bryan Evans down on that last TD run, shouldn't that have been called holding? I mean you can't just grab a guy and pull him down like that to prevent him from making a tackle.

Also, are officials held accountable in anyway? I mean everybody else has consequences when they F up. Players are benched, coaches get fired, they get fined if they make comments about the officials. I really want to know, how are officials penalized? The calls in the OSU game and this LSU game were just wrong and both had a huge effect on the game.

**UPDATE**

I just heard on ESPN that the SEC released a statement claiming that Green "made a gesture drawing attention to himself". Unless it was something inappropriate that we just simply didn't see, that is complete BS. They said something about him "pointing". When are you not drawing attention to yourself when you celebrate?? I see guys score a TD and run out in the open field raising thier arms in an upward motion to the fans all the time, aren't you drawing attention to yourself when you do that? I really don't understand the "drawing attention to yoursef" bull.

Thanks

Edited by aPureTerror

RS may not be the back that works best for your offense but against South Carolina he just destroyed a few of our players who tried to tackle him. I thought he looked like a world beater in that game.

You're absolutely right, but he is very limited. If you give Samuel a chance to take the ball and run straight downhill in a straight line, I think he is a very strong physical runner. A powerful guy that wants to run over people, but there is just so much more to being an verastile, every down type starting SEC back. I have no issue with him getting carries, but I don't think he should be a guy that gets the majority of the workload.

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday, but as for Samuel he should have been either a LB or a safety, but not a RB.

Now as for his RB play, he is a north-south type runner and he has most of his success running between the tackles. And yet, Bobo calls sweeps for the guy.

I have said this from day 1 regarding richard samuel. He should be a linebacker. I saw this in the offseason regarding his vision. He has zero vision. He is a very strong runner when you have a hole, but if he has to use his vision he is in trouble. Caleb King is a heck of a back IMO. He is a great blocking back as well, but I was soo looking forward to seeing Washaun get in the game. I loved it how opposing fans trashed Washaun before he even got to play his first game. If he hadn't been hurt in the preseason he would have been playing game 1. Watch the game again Washaun also is a great blocking back. He is a lot like Knowshon in that area. He took out a LSU DE, knock him on his butt, on one play and I loved it.

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday, but as for Samuel he should have been either a LB or a safety, but not a RB.

Now as for his RB play, he is a north-south type runner and he has most of his success running between the tackles. And yet, Bobo calls sweeps for the guy.

I noticed that too. A lot of people say he has great speed, and I'm not saying he doesn't, but for some reason he d@mn near always seems to get run down on those sweeps for either a loss or no gain.

I have said this from day 1 regarding richard samuel. He should be a linebacker. I saw this in the offseason regarding his vision. He has zero vision. He is a very strong runner when you have a hole, but if he has to use his vision he is in trouble. Caleb King is a heck of a back IMO. He is a great blocking back as well, but I was soo looking forward to seeing Washaun get in the game. I loved it how opposing fans trashed Washaun before he even got to play his first game. If he hadn't been hurt in the preseason he would have been playing game 1. Watch the game again Washaun also is a great blocking back. He is a lot like Knowshon in that area. He took out a LSU DE, knock him on his butt, on one play and I loved it.

I agree, Caleb King is very capable IMO. I hope people don't look at what Washaun did and "say why couldn't Caleb do it". Washaun looked good but the line clearly blocked better for him . I hope King and Ealey get the bulk of the carries in Knoxville. Samuel's mentality and approach to the game is much more suited for defense.

Edited by aPureTerror

I thought I remembered when recruited that UGA actually wanted him as a LB and that he insisted that he wanted to be a RB. At Cass he was a beast if I remember correctly. Help me here do I have this right or is mind completely gone

Richard Samuel played high school football at one of the local high schools. I watched him since he picked the game up in 10th grade. Richard is a north and south runner, not an east and west runner. Bobo says he's the fastest tailback he's seen since his playing days at UGA on the UGA team, it still doesn't change the fact that he's not an around the edge guy. Richard is a between the tackles power runner, and he always will be. He's also still very young. Thing is, when they were recruiting him, it was as a linebacker. To be honest, Richard was a better linebacker in high school than he was a running back, and he was a great running back on a terrible football team. He still single handedly won the high school team football games. If you've ever seen the video of him on defense blocking the field goal by hurdling the offensive and defensive lines and then scooping it up and taking it 80 yards for 6, you should try to find it and watch it. It's possibly the greatest play I've ever been witness to in person in my entire life. He's also still a very young kid (he graduated early). And the thing is, knowing his mother and how she is, he's going to go to UGA for 4 years and get a degree. She once had his coach sit him out in high school because he made a B. She has always told him that he is here in the US to get an education, and everything else is secondary. He also is a great soccer player, and is better at that than football, if you can believe it. If they'd call more plays that suited his running style, he'd do better. Running between the tackles is what he is best at. The kid thrives on contact. And he always has gotten better as the game went on. He's a single back guy playing in a running back rotation. He needs the ball 20-25 times a game at least to get into a rhythm. That's just how he is and how he's always played. The kid has a lot of talent, but it's being misused for the type of back he is. His natural position is on the defense, but they saw him run the ball and wanted him to be a running back. He'd be more productive as a linebacker, no doubt, as he has always been better at the position. His desire for contact is inspiring, but running him off the edge doesn't provide him the opportunites to deliver the blows. And no, he didn't insist on being a running back, they saw his size, speed and explosiveness in practices and put him at the position. He didn't care where he played as long as he got to hit someone.

Edited by popcornplaya

I thought I remembered when recruited that UGA actually wanted him as a LB and that he insisted that he wanted to be a RB. At Cass he was a beast if I remember correctly. Help me here do I have this right or is mind completely gone

I actually know he said he would love to play lb, but that he would play where ever the coaches wanted him and even though uga coaches loved his lb ability, they felt he could be that big home run threat. The problem is that he needs to have a big hole to be effective. He has very little vision and his balance is not great either. He has put in a lot of effort to be a better blocker. right now he is an rb, but frankly i have wanted him to be given a chance at LB. I just don't want them to screw around with him like they did with brandon miller.

I actually know he said he would love to play lb, but that he would play where ever the coaches wanted him and even though uga coaches loved his lb ability, they felt he could be that big home run threat. The problem is that he needs to have a big hole to be effective. He has very little vision and his balance is not great either. He has put in a lot of effort to be a better blocker. right now he is an rb, but frankly i have wanted him to be given a chance at LB. I just don't want them to screw around with him like they did with brandon miller.

ok thanks for the correction.