At what point to do Coach Smith and TD recognize

That our current group of DTs isnt going to get it done this season (with the injury to Jerry).

Assuming our goal is to win the Superbowl this season that is.

Babineaux is one starter and a proven NFL DT, but undersized and best in a rotation.

Beyond him we don't have another proven defensive tackle. We're hoping that some combination of Lewis, Johnson, and Walker steps up but its not very realistic with none of them playing NFL games last year.

There's no one available on the street we could pick up that would fill the void that Jerrys injury left.

So the only real option is to make a trade.

Theres been a lot of rumors on the internet saying Glenn Dorsey is available for trade. While he certainly doesnt have the height at 6'1 to be playing end in the 3-4 I dont think the Chiefs would trade him but Id certainly try.

Darnell Docketts agent in Arizona is lobbying for a trade and a contract Docketts 28 had 3 sacks in the Superbowl and 9 the previous season and would ceratainly boost our pass rush but at 6'4 285 doesnt have the size for the nose, still he would improve our run D over our current personnel.

Vince Wilforks agent wants a new a contract and I wonder if the Patriots would trade him. If they truly are going to a 4-3 hes not as important as their starting DEs would become DTs and they drafted a rookie DT in the second this year (which at the time caused specualtion they would resign him). Wilfork is very young in his prime so I doubt they would actually trade him.

Shaun Rogers was mentioned in speculation of wanting a trade this season early, its clear Cleveland is going nowhere. I dont think Mangini will trade him simply because **** be forfeiting the season and Rogers is his best player on defense. Still though as the season spirals I imagine Rogers will complain or get out of shape and Mangini will wish he got rid of him.

John Henderson might be an option because of the Jacksonville connection but hes their best D lineman and I wonder if theyd give him up, their season is a mess tho.

What have the Cardinals done to show they are willing to trade whiny players who they still have under contract? Boldin sure hasn't been happy there, and they haven't traded him.

Dorsey has started playing well in KC, and I doubt they trade a guy who has been starting at DE for them.

Wilfork will want plenty of money, and like you said, he would become less important in a 4-3. I would bet a 3-4 defense team would be willing to part with a higher pick and more money than us.

Rogers is lazy, and tried getting out earlier this year. He also has a pretty hefty contract. For god sakes DETROIT didn't like his inconsistent play and bad locker room presence to keep him. DETROIT.

And we already traded away a 2nd for Tony G and a 7th for Hill. And I don't know how much a team would want to get rid of a starting defensive lineman in the middle of the year unless, maybe, it's the last year of their contract and their year is already in the tank.

I dont understand what argument a lot of you are trying to make? Who do you think is a starting calibre DT on our roster other than Babineaux? Thomas Johnson, an undrafted free agent who hasn't played since 2006 before this season, Trey Lewis a sixth round pick who hasnt played since 2007 before this season coming off 2 major knee injuries, or Vance Walker a 7th round pick?

Trey Lewis is coming off consecutive ACL injuries.

Thomas Johnson played 2 games as an undrafted rookie with Dallas in 2005 and got 2 tackles. He played in 11 games with Houston in 2006 got 19 tackles.

Vance Walker is a rookie who played better and would have been drafted higher if he came out after his junior season. His production declined as a senior and he didn't test well at the combine. It would be nice to see him develop over time to but to expect him to suddenly be a starter as rookie is asking a bit much.

I doubt the Cards would trade Dockett or KC trade Dorsey but its worth inquiring about.

Wilfork will get a lot of money and he deserves it he's a massive young experienced run stuffer Superbowl champ. His value is higher to a 3-4 but it's perfect for us, he commands double teams that would normally be gobbling up Babineaux and Abraham letting them and and our linebackers flow to the ball. He's a perfect compliment to Babineaux and exactly what we need as a run stuffer. In a 4-3 the Patriots have 3 other players that can play his position. His contract is up.

Rogers has a monster season last year and is a Haloti Ngata/Albert Haynesworth type monster of a man. His lainess has always been a problem, but thats what happens in Detroit and Cleveland, it wouldnt happen on a playoff team.

Your argument is a joke. You're pretty much saying, "LOL LOOK AT THAT GUY! I BET YOU ANYTHING THEY'LL BE WILLING TO TRADE FOR HIM!" It doesn't work like that, okay? Realize what we'd have to give up to get a certain player. It's not just a, "Oh, hey. We'll take him!" kind of deal. Okay? Okay. As much as people love to think we can just magically go out and grab players to help us, everything has a price. And, in this case, we'd give up a lot (more than TD would ever give up right now) to grab a DT of the caliber you are talking about. We're rolling with what we have. Sorry to break your heart.

Our DTs, on the whole, are young and inexperienced. In time, they will become pretty solid group for us. Nothing ground-breaking, but solid. That's what we need. Babs is one of the most underrated DTs in the league, and is the master of the tackles for losses. While losing Jerry for the year hurts, I think with time the DT position is going to gel out pretty nicely. Babs will have to step up, however. But going out and grabbing DTs like people are tossing them around for free isn't going to happen.

Everyone is beginning to repeat the same crap over and over. It's easy to spot the fans who know what they're talking about, and the fans who just prance around and expect things to fall into TD's lap when they don't like something.

Are you referring to me? If so, you are a joke.

My argument is our group of DTs isnt going to cut it if we want to win playoff games this season.

I'm not saying any of the players I mentioned will come free, I just mentioned potential candidates, obviously we'll have to give something up to get them, did you figure that out yourself?

Sorry to break your heart, but Babineaux has 1 tackle for the loss on the season. He's had 2 tackles every game.

That doesn't mean anything when the other team runs the ball at will like NE did and SF would if Gore was in the game.

But thanks for coming out

My argument is our group of DTs isnt going to cut it if we want to win playoff games this season.

I'm not saying any of the players I mentioned will come free, I just mentioned potential candidates, obviously we'll have to give something up to get them, did you figure that out yourself?

Sorry to break your heart, but Babineaux has 1 tackle for the loss on the season. He's had 2 tackles every game.

That doesn't mean anything when the other team runs the ball at will like NE did and SF would if Gore was in the game.

I admire the way you defend your meaningless speculations. Good show.

I dont understand what argument a lot of you are trying to make? Who do you think is a starting calibre DT on our roster other than Babineaux? Thomas Johnson, an undrafted free agent who hasn't played since 2006 before this season, Trey Lewis a sixth round pick who hasnt played since 2007 before this season coming off 2 major knee injuries, or Vance Walker a 7th round pick?

Look...Everybody has to get their shot sometime. For Lewis/Johnson/Walker that time is now. Lets quit whining for a "name" and give these Falcons a shot!

At what point do you recognize that this is a process and that neither TD or Smitty are willing to mortgage the future just to get better now. They are building this team for sustained success. Not a flash in the pan season like 1998. These guys are trying to build a dynasty.

I actually thought that you made a wee bit of sense and was going to give you the benefit of the doubt and try and support you as much as possible, but you went on a silly tirade and totally messed up that idea. Enjoy.