Rapid Reports 10/01/09

juiceaccts

Jason Butt w/ CBS Sports wrights...

Thursday, October 01, 2009

12:45:58 pm The Falcons will take a short break, but will return next week to prepare for San Francisco - and 12 teams afte that. "We're about to have a 13-week grind, so we have to get mentally and physically ready for it," WR Roddy White said.

12:45:17 pm Falcons FB Ovie Mughelli said he and the offense had high expectations coming into the season. "We want to have a huge 200- 300-yard game every week," Mughelli said. "But teams know about us now and we can't do that."

12:42:23 pm Falcons coach Mike Smith on the play of S Thomas DeCoud: "Thomas has come a long way. He's made the right calls and put himself in position to make a couple of game-changing plays. He's progressed quicker than I thought he would."

12:41:49 pm Falcons coach Mike Smith said K Jason Elam (left hamstring) did not kick this week, but added that even before the injury the plan was to give him rest this week.

12:40:48 pm Falcons coach Mike Smith said CB Tye Hill played well and saw a lot of reps in practice this week. "He's definitely improved since the first day he got here," Smith said. "We'll evaluate the (practice) film and go from there."

12:40:02 pm Falcons rookie DT Peria Jerry had surgery to repair an injured left knee suffered against Carolina on Tuesday. Falcons coach Mike Smith said the surgery went well. "we're looking forward to getting him back to Atlanta so he can begin his rehab," he said.

12:32:21 pm Falcons coach Mike Smith said William Moore (hamstring) is at full speed and that RB Jerious Norwood (concussion) returned to practice this week. Both are anticipated to be healthy when Atlanta play San Francisco Oct. 11.

Jason Butt w/ CBS Sports wrights...

Thursday, October 01, 2009

12:45:58 pm The Falcons will take a short break, but will return next week to prepare for San Francisco - and 12 teams afte that. "We're about to have a 13-week grind, so we have to get mentally and physically ready for it," WR Roddy White said.

12:45:17 pm Falcons FB Ovie Mughelli said he and the offense had high expectations coming into the season. "We want to have a huge 200- 300-yard game every week," Mughelli said. "But teams know about us now and we can't do that."

12:42:23 pm Falcons coach Mike Smith on the play of S Thomas DeCoud: "Thomas has come a long way. He's made the right calls and put himself in position to make a couple of game-changing plays. He's progressed quicker than I thought he would."

12:41:49 pm Falcons coach Mike Smith said K Jason Elam (left hamstring) did not kick this week, but added that even before the injury the plan was to give him rest this week.

12:40:48 pm Falcons coach Mike Smith said CB Tye Hill played well and saw a lot of reps in practice this week. "He's definitely improved since the first day he got here," Smith said. "We'll evaluate the (practice) film and go from there."

12:40:02 pm Falcons rookie DT Peria Jerry had surgery to repair an injured left knee suffered against Carolina on Tuesday. Falcons coach Mike Smith said the surgery went well. "we're looking forward to getting him back to Atlanta so he can begin his rehab," he said.

12:32:21 pm Falcons coach Mike Smith said William Moore (hamstring) is at full speed and that RB Jerious Norwood (concussion) returned to practice this week. Both are anticipated to be healthy when Atlanta play San Francisco Oct. 11.

I know I sound like a broken record on this topic but I can't wait for Willy to take the field. I have very high hopes.

I like what i am hearing about Decoud and the fact that the Coaches think that he has progressed faster than expected. I agree Decoud seems to be fitting in very nicely at the FS position. I am glad that Tye appears to be getting a good grasp of the defense, I am anxious to see what he can do on the field. I really dont know how the Coach plans on using MOore

We are going to come out swinging guys. I feel good about playing against the 49ers. I just have this feeling that Turner is going to have a season break-out game with 150+ yards!!!

Yikes I hope so. He can do it, though.

They've kept AP to like 30 yards COMBINED in their last two outings, and I believe they're like top 5 runnings defense.

I'm simply hoping we can open up the run enough to see some good production, over 100 yard and 5+ ypc would be golden.

Yikes I hope so. He can do it, though.

They've kept AP to like 30 yards COMBINED in their last two outings, and I believe they're like top 5 runnings defense.

I'm simply hoping we can open up the run enough to see some good production, over 100 yard and 5+ ypc would be golden.

I've watched the games over again and I see the problem. Its a new team and new offense. Its going to get better.

Whats funny is that I was think about Larry Johnson and how long it took him to come alive. LOL.

This is sounding good. Some fresh blood becoming available can only help. Plus, just the opportunity to learn from the first 3 games and tweak some things.

I hope what Ovie said was wrong ... people know what the Falcons have on O now, and that means they will take away some of our preferred weapons, but I hope we STILL find a way to get 300 or more yards every game. (Of course, the only REAL goal is to win, but I think we can be the caliber of offense that is good for 300+ every game).

This is sounding good. Some fresh blood becoming available can only help. Plus, just the opportunity to learn from the first 3 games and tweak some things.

I hope what Ovie said was wrong ... people know what the Falcons have on O now, and that means they will take away some of our preferred weapons, but I hope we STILL find a way to get 300 or more yards every game. (Of course, the only REAL goal is to win, but I think we can be the caliber of offense that is good for 300+ every game).

Yeah I didn't like what Ovie said.. I loved the news on Hill and Moore, and how Smith felt about DeCoud.

Yeah I didn't like what Ovie said.. I loved the news on Hill and Moore, and how Smith felt about DeCoud.

I think Ovie meant different...I realize it sounds exactly how each of you are thinking, but I think he means we can't go out making that a personal goal. Besides, we average 303.0 yards a game! Success in the NFL relies on how well you can adjust...real NFL teams understand that what they did the previous season won't work as well the following season and make the necessary adjustments. Everyone knows that our offense evolves around the run game, so I'm hoping during the bye, Boudreau is drawing up some new blocking schemes that will rattle opposing defenses and help open up holes for Turner. I also like the news on Hill, Moore, and DeCoud...the defense needs to start making plays...too many missed opportunities!

I assume Ovie is only talking about the running game because other than that this comment doesn't make sense. Everybody knows what a good offensive team is going to do, they just can't stop it. Teams can know your scheme and tendacies but an offense can adjust to what the defense is doing as well.

I agree that Decoud is progressing quite nicely. He has gotten better each and every week.

He has definitely gotten better each week, which is the reason why it will be hard to take him off the field at FS. It is a good situation to be in that we have 3 starting safties, but someone will be disappointed.

He has definitely gotten better each week, which is the reason why it will be hard to take him off the field at FS. It is a good situation to be in that we have 3 starting safties, but someone will be disappointed.

It appears that Moore will be doing what Decoud did last year and watching and learning. I am thinking that is probably what is best for him anyway. He will be competing with Coleman next year at SS. I believe next year is Coleman's last year under contract as well.