Anyone concerned with Matt's throw aways?

I was just wondering if Matt Ryan is relying too much on a clock in his head that says get rid of the ball now or honestly feeling the pressure. I understand the QBs responsibility is to make the smart play and to avoid turnovers but I just saw a few plays the other day where Matt had nobody around him and chose to throw the ball out of bounds instead of standing & waiting on a potential open receiver.

I am all for smart QB play and I know Matt is one of the smartest QBs in the league. Of course I don't want him to get hurt by just holding the ball but I think he is smart & poised enough to make the right decision when there is actually a threat. He made the smart play but sometimes you would like to see the play extended a little longer. Anyone agree/disagree?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not seen him throw a ball away that should not have been thrown away.....usually he throws them away when he's on the run and heading towards the sideline.....I much rather him throw it away than be an idiot and run out of bounds and lose yards......

I agree. There were two different third downs where he bootlegged right and just chucked it out. I thought he could have waited a little longer. I dont think it will be an issue though. At least I hope we wont be bringing it up in week 12 or 13 anyway.

I know the two plays from the NE game you're talking about, but I don't think you can tell the whole situation of pressure and what kind of coverage he's reading from the TV presentation.

What concerns me is the video of White standing in one spot while his QB runs for his life. Come back to him, run away from him, dang do something.

Yeah there was a point when White was standing behind a defender and im like "he's not going to throw it to you if you just stand there moron". Would of liked for him to get open being since the defender had his back to Roddy.

Completely disagree. He threw a couple away in the Pats game, especially when we were behind, when he needed to brett Favre it and make a **** play.

I'm all for playing smart but this conservative s**t only works when you're ahead.

Threw them away because nobody was open......he's not Brett Favre so why would you expect him to make those plays....had he of tried and been hit with the pick 6 you would be complaining about that. You should be complaining about whoever's decision it was to punt the ball with less than 9mins left in the game.

What concerns me is the video of White standing in one spot while his QB runs for his life. Come back to him, run away from him, dang do something.

I only remember seeing Roddy stand in one spot one time as Matt rolled out of the pocket and that's because he was being double teamed on the same route that had been run twice already for first downs. Matt took the ball in shotgun rolled to the right and threw it to Roddy who was running an out route..it worked twice for 1st down conversions, the third time they rolled the safety with Roddy and it was a defender in front of him and behind him...the safety over the top was only visible for a second in live action from the camera view but you could see him when they ran the replay..Matt threw it out of bounds

I've not seen him throw a ball away that should not have been thrown away.....usually he throws them away when he's on the run and heading towards the sideline.....I much rather him throw it away than be an idiot and run out of bounds and lose yards......

I pretty much agree. I don't disagree with many, if any, decisions to throw it away that he's made. However, in certain situations, there comes a time when you really need to just try and force a throw in there and hope for the best. 3rd downs very late in games you are trailing in, you've got to just try and make a play. Sure a pick or pick 6 will kill you, but punting the ball away with the defense not playing well (especially against the run) will hurt almost as bad.

Completely disagree. He threw a couple away in the Pats game, especially when we were behind, when he needed to brett Favre it and make a **** play.

I'm all for playing smart but this conservative s**t only works when you're ahead.

All I can say about this is thank goodness it's Matt out there and not you. Instead of 1 interception on the year, we'd probably have 5. Can you say Delhomme?

I only remember seeing Roddy stand in one spot one time as Matt rolled out of the pocket and that's because he was being double teamed on the same route that had been run twice already for first downs. Matt took the ball in shotgun rolled to the right and threw it to Roddy who was running an out route..it worked twice for 1st down conversions, the third time they rolled the safety with Roddy and it was a defender in front of him and behind him...the safety over the top was only visible for a second in live action from the camera view but you could see him when they ran the replay..Matt threw it out of bounds

I could be wrong, but I thought they went to that side line play only once on third down. Yes, I saw the safty too and he was down field. Looked to me like White had room to move but just gave up and stood there frozen in place I mentioned this the same day as the game cause I noticed it happen during the game. If the qb is scrambling, the wr should too.

All I can say about this is thank goodness it's Matt out there and not you. Instead of 1 interception on the year, we'd probably have 5. Can you say Delhomme?

+1

How many times have you ever seen a play like that(Farve) in the HISTORY of the NFL?

I am a true believer in that you make your own luck as the unspoken result of Hard Work,

and that play was just Luck.

Emelment of a Check Down.

Position of the DB in relation to the Route. (all in the hips)

OFTEN throwing away the ball is the best decision, guess you've forgotten Doug "I want a record for safeties" Johnson and Michael "27 yard loss sack" Vick?

And bringing up Favre? The INT king of the NFL? Who unsurprisingly throws some of the worst INTs in the league, that "miraculous" throw that won the game on Sunday could just as well have been picked off.

Agreed and + 1.

Don't forget Favre also has the career record for INTs also...

I was just wondering if Matt Ryan is relying too much on a clock in his head that says get rid of the ball now or honestly feeling the pressure. I understand the QBs responsibility is to make the smart play and to avoid turnovers but I just saw a few plays the other day where Matt had nobody around him and chose to throw the ball out of bounds instead of standing & waiting on a potential open receiver.

I am all for smart QB play and I know Matt is one of the smartest QBs in the league. Of course I don't want him to get hurt by just holding the ball but I think he is smart & poised enough to make the right decision when there is actually a threat. He made the smart play but sometimes you would like to see the play extended a little longer. Anyone agree/disagree?

Young QB's are usually wrong in the other direction - tehy hold on to the ball too long, or try to make a play when one is not there. I think Ryan is showing good maturity by getting rid of the ball when he doesn't have anyone open. As he gets more experience, his timing on when to do so will improve. But at least he is not taking sacks and big hits - we need him healthy!

In this league, sacks and turnovers absolutely kill you. Farve has made some incredible plays but he's also cost his team just as often with the number of picks he has thrown. He would have won more superbowls had he not forced the ball in so many big game situations.

I would rather that Ryan emulate someone like Manning or Brady. Neither of them take sacks or turn the ball over and they are winners.

In this league, sacks and turnovers absolutely kill you. Farve has made some incredible plays but he's also cost his team just as often with the number of picks he has thrown. He would have won more superbowls had he not forced the ball in so many big game situations.

I would rather that Ryan emulate someone like Manning or Brady. Neither of them take sacks or turn the ball over and they are winners.

x2. If it's a last-second desperation moment (or a 4th down on what is very likely to be the last offensive drive), then yes, that might be the time to say a prayer and try to force something. By and large, however, I would much rather have a QB who plays it "smart."

Think about those times he threw it away. Before that final touchdown that put the game out of reach, a pick 6 from Ryan (or even a sack giving the Pats better field position) could have been disastrous and handed the game to the Pats on a platter.