How evenly matched are Matt Ryan versus Joe Flacco?

I dunno but I will say this: I think Flacco will become a better playmaker because he has that defense. Flacco can go out on the field and make plays knowing his defense will cover him if he does make a mistake. Matt Ryan doesnt have that in a defense so he has to protect the ball more and probably can not let loose the way Joe can. If you look at Ryan in college you'll see that when things were down he took chances because he had to. Last year it was such a big thing (his college interceptions) that I'm sure he tried even harder to just make good decisions. Joe is gonna get the wind underneath him while Matt is going to play it straight. Joe will be the better playmaker.

Last Ryan I'd say Ryan was easily better.

This year though Flacco looks better, I don't care what teams he's played. I mean we've only beat winless teams this year.

Not to mention Flacco doesn't have White, Jenkins, or Gonzalez to throw to.

The 2 teams we beat are only winless because we beat them. If we didn't win those 2 games, then they wouldn't be winless. And not to mention, those 2 winless teams we beat were division winners last year who have basically all the same personnel back this year.

Its going to be a Phillip Rivers - Eli Manning type of thing

I think Flacco and Ryan will be 2 great QB's....... I still feel like Matt Ryan has to do more.... Flacco has some good stats right now but the guy has the 7th best defense in the league......That is huge... You can make more mistakes

Even tho i think its nuts to just judge guys off of first 3 or 4 games (if you did that last year Jason Campbell was becoming a great QB).... I think both are setup to become winners in this league.

I do feel like we need to unleash Matty Ice a little more..... I think the OC understands that now also..... Even after we have the league in the 2nd half i dont get why we get so conservative..... Lets just take the team out.

Even though I'm (obviously) a bigger fan of Matt Ryan, I'd have to say Flacco is looking good no matter who is playing. I'd say the two are being utilized differently so it's hard to say who is physically better at the QB spot. I'd still take Ryan first simply because he had more responsibility as a leader for the Falcons than Flacco did for the Ravens. There were/are clear leaders on that Ravens team where as the Falcons were just dusting themselves off from the nuclear meltdown of the previous two seasons and everything was in shambles. To come into an unstable situation like that and lead the way Ryan did was amazing on the field and off. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not taking anything from Flacco though- he is getting it done and I have more respect for his abilities than I did last season. I believe if Ryan was in Baltimore, he'd be getting done just the same as Flacco, but if Flacco came into the situation Ryan faced last season, I don't know if he could have handled it- not saying he couldn't...I just don't know. I think Ryan's ability to lead in that situation gives him the edge to me, other than that it seems more close than I would have thought last year. They are both good.

Don't flame me, but lets be honest. Ryan does not have as strong of an arm as Flacco, and thats why we never throw the deep ball. QB's that can't go deep start out as great QB's until it is really noticable, if you look at previous games you will see that everytime he tried to throw it deep the WR's would have to pull up short.

Don't flame me, but lets be honest. Ryan does not have as strong of an arm as Flacco, and thats why we never throw the deep ball. QB's that can't go deep start out as great QB's until it is really noticable, if you look at previous games you will see that everytime he tried to throw it deep the WR's would have to pull up short.

I guess Brady and Peyton Manning got figured out..... I guess Drew Brees got figured out..... Neither of these guys has the biggest arms but they are the best in the league...All these guys cameout the draft with the "not strong arm tag" ...Matt Ryan has the arm to make allllllll the throws... Its about timing of the throws

I just feel like the Coaching Staff just needs to unleash Matt Ryan

I guess Brady and Peyton Manning got figured out..... I guess Drew Brees got figured out..... Neither of these guys has the biggest arms but they are the best in the league...All these guys cameout the draft with the "not strong arm tag" ...Matt Ryan has the arm to make allllllll the throws... Its about timing of the throws

Are you nutts, Manning has a gun, just look at the film if you want I can give you the game footage. I tivo'ed every game this year and Ryan does not have the arm strenght. He had the same problem in college, as a matter of fact I think it was the BC / Clemson game that the commentators even said it.

Also what they said about Brees was that he was too short, not his arm strenght. Brady just had a dumb a88 for a college coach to put Henning(sp) ahead of him, but Brady has an arm also. Everyone You named has a killer arm, I would put Ryan in the range of Chad Pennington, good arm can make all of the short stuff but he can not go deep with it. Thats game manager material, he wont blow a game but he will not air it out.

Ryan's arm isn't as strong as Flacco's but Ryan is definitely more accurate. If you watch Flacco's deep ball's they are pretty but a few majority of the time he wont hit the receiver in stride. Ryan's arm is strong enough to make the throws he needs to. The best QBs in the league are usually the most accurate and not the guys with the strongest arms

Also what they said about Brees was that he was too short, not his arm strenght. Brady just had a dumb a88 for a college coach to put Henning(sp) ahead of him, but Brady has an arm also. Everyone You named has a killer arm, I would put Ryan in the range of Chad Pennington, good arm can make all of the short stuff but he can not go deep with it. Thats game manager material, he wont blow a game but he will not air it out.

First of all Drew Henson started over Tom Brady because he was a higher recruit..... Its dumb but it happens in college football.

Peyton Manning draft profile

Manning is probably the most prepared QB to enter the NFL draft in several years.. He has had a storybook college career, and has been in a top level program with excellent coaching, and he has maturity and great intangibles to go along with his natural skills.. He should be able to pick up the mental aspects of the game early on the NFL level, and should play very quickly. He has great overall field vision. He is a fierce competitor, and all of his mechanics are very solid. He has good arm strength, but not necessarily a “gun” that you might expect from a QB at the top of the draft.. He has adequate mobility and good overall AA, although he is not a scrambler by nature. He has done an excellent job of getting the most out of his abilities, but he is not quite as natural a player as Leaf. One question that some NFL scouts have is the question “will he get any better?”. At times he gives the appearance of being a self-made player, and sometimes those types of players don’t always go on to great NFL careers. In Manning’s case, he may be a solid and productive NFL QB, but he may not have Hall of Fame type skills, but it certainly won’t be for lack of effort.. He has probably been the most scouted player in the draft in recent years, and because that NFL teams tend to look too much at potential flaws, instead of accepting him for what he is, a great college QB that is on his way to an outstanding NFL career.

Tom Brady draft profile

Two-year starter. Very tall with a thin build. Needs to upgrade his overall strength. Pocket passer with average quickness. Can slide from pressure, but is not very elusive. Doesn't look to run. Holds the ball a bit low, but has a fairly quick release. Lacks a strong arm. Doesn't rifle the long outs, but he's an accurate passer with a good feel for touch. Sails some throws and hangs some deep balls. Leader. Eyeballs his primary target at times, but shows the ability to come off and find alternates. Generally makes good decisions. Had a good Orange Bowl.

Philip Rivers draft profile

POSITIVES: Play-making quarterback with a great feel for the position and game. Sets in the pocket with solid footwork, does a terrific job selling the ball fakes then scans the field, buying as much time as possible. Patient, in total control of the offense and makes smart decisions. Natural looking off the safety, stands strong against the rush and works hard to make positive plays. Sharp and accurate in the short game; leads receivers on crossing patters, puts zip on intermediate throws and has a great sense of timing. Knows were the receivers are on the field and puts passes where only his wide outs can make the reception. Instinctive, possesses great football intelligence and a leader in every sense of the word. Turned in a tremendous performance at the Senior Bowl after an illustrious collegiate career

NEGATIVES: Has a terrible throwing motion that is best described as awkward. Pushes the ball or whips it from the side and falls out of his throws. Looks like he's throwing a heavy ball and constantly changes his point of release. Cannot drive the deep pass and not accurate down the field.

ANALYSIS: Rivers is the type of prospect that will draw much debate and discussion leading up to and after draft day. While many criticize his mechanics and throwing fundamentals, you can not overlook his accuracy or ability to lead a team. May not be a quarterback for everyone and can only fit certain schemes, but a solid first-round selection that could quickly break into a starting lineup at the next level.

Matt Ryan draft profile

POSITIVES: Smart, savvy quarterback whose skills nicely translate to the next level. Patient in the pocket, poised under all circumstances, and shows outstanding awareness and field vision. Natural looking off the safety, sees the entire field, and knows where his receivers are. Uses all his targets and spreads the ball around. Displays a sense of timing, improvises when things break down, and does not make poor choices. Looks away from covered receivers and goes to secondary targets. Throws with good mechanics and displays outstanding pass placement. Hits receivers as they leave their breaks, nicely places the ball into their hands, and puts touch on throws when necessary. Has an adequate deep arm and does a nice job of putting long throws in front of wideouts and letting them run to the ball.

NEGATIVES: Does not show great velocity on all his throws. Not a quarterback who picks up much yardage with his legs. Loses a lot throwing on the run.

ANALYSIS: Ryan is an intelligent, competitive quarterback who does whatever is necessary to win games. A natural leader, he has great command of the offense and is always in control of the situation. He does not possess the physical skills to be a consistent vertical passer, yet he has enough abilities and intangibles to be a productive starter in the NFL.

The only thing that shows me is that anybody can write a scouting report! I'm just looking at the game film and that does not lie.

Have you seen college film and film when these guys first came in the league.... Ofcourse you can build up more arm strength year by year..Its like lifting weights (you can get stronger and stronger).... Their Arm strength is not like Flacco or J.Russel but their arm strength are good enough.

Whats the difference between these 2 plays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1s4ReSvjyA

Matt Ryan 70 yard TD throw

Have you seen college film and film when these guys first came in the league.... Ofcourse you can build up more arm strength year by year.... Their Arm strength is not like Flacco or J.Russel but their arm strength are good enough.

Whats the difference between these 2 plays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1s4ReSvjyA

http://www.nfl.com/videos/atlanta-falcons/09000d5d80b04602/Matt-Ryan-Highlight-WK-03-vs-Chiefs-2008

look I want Ryan to do well, I dont want to have to go through this whole find a QB thing all over again. but I have seen just as you have seen Ryan throw alot of short balls before and if you say that he has not then this conversation is at an impasse.

lol why can't Flacco be just as good as Matt Ryan. I stand by it, Flacco has always looked great to me, and it'll probably be a Roethlisberger-Palmer w/o a knee injury comparison...or even better Roethlisberger-Rivers comparison

I agree.... I like Flacco coming out of the draft..... I think Matt Ryan and Flacco are two young up incoming QB's...... Its going to be a Eli Manning - Philip Rivers type comparison their whole year.

yea I didnt see that link at first so I changed my post, but not before you made your comment. Look I like Ryan and I hope that he does well for us, his accuracy is killer and I think they need to let him go at least three to five wideouts more often. He has to well of an arm to not utilize it more often, I also feel he needs to perfect his down field accuracy.