CAN RYAN DELIVER THE DEEP PASS

dipper

If you go back to the 2008 season RYAN had an awesome year but take a look at JENKINS and RODDY pass receptions. JENKINS gain most of his yards after the catch of 20-25 yard pass. RODDY passes were deep passes but he had to wait for most of them. RODDY is extemly quick and RYAN arm seems to struggle keeping up with him. The last 3-4 games of 2008 RODDY didn't have any 100 yard games. Most folks blamed it on the ROOKIE wall and that was normal.

In 2009 RYAN still hasn't aired out the ball to RODDY. Our run game shows what teams are starting to do. In 2008 if you stopped the run you stopped the FALCONS. We picked up GONZO for the short game but it doesn't work if you don't throw the ball deep. So they are saying the heck with RODDY just stop the run and GONZALES by moving everyone up and leaving the CB 1 on 1 with the WR... They know RYAN has a problem connecting pass 30-35+ yards so they aren't worried. GONZALES had 1 catch all day and Turner failed to gain 100 yards. So with this said, RYAN needs to hit the weights and throw the ball deep.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have your opinion, of course, but I have to politely disagree on this one. I've seen every game as a Falcon Ryan has thrown in. Even in the Patriots game, when he threw the ball to Jenkins - it was a direct strike into the endzone with 45 yards in the air. I've seen him throw the ball back across the field for a direct strike. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ryan's arm strength.

Roddy seems to have a slight problem with route running lately, that's all. Timing will fix it. Roddy also catches the ball with his body - always has - and it causes him to drop some very good throws. He dropped 2 in the New England game that were perfect strikes.

I love Roddy and I think he is an amazing receiver and an excellent blocker - but he is still honing his craft, as is Ryan. The problem is Ryan throws to a spot - not where a receiver is at the moment, but where he is supposed to be. Does he occasionally throw short or overthrow - yes. But, for the most part - he's on the money. The other receivers just don't have the issues with catching his throws - they know when to come back and when to cut. Jenkins catches with his hands as does Gonzalez. When Roddy does more of that - he'll turn into an elite receiver. He's darn close now.

If you are interested in the stats - here's a link I put up every week after a game. Link to the thread

You have your opinion, of course, but I have to politely disagree on this one. I've seen every game as a Falcon Ryan has thrown in. Even in the Patriots game, when he threw the ball to Jenkins - it was a direct strike into the endzone with 45 yards in the air. I've seen him throw the ball back across the field for a direct strike. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ryan's arm strength.

Roddy seems to have a slight problem with route running lately, that's all. Timing will fix it. Roddy also catches the ball with his body - always has - and it causes him to drop some very good throws. He dropped 2 in the New England game that were perfect strikes.

I love Roddy and I think he is an amazing receiver and an excellent blocker - but he is still honing his craft, as is Ryan. The problem is Ryan throws to a spot - not where a receiver is at the moment, but where he is supposed to be. Does he occasionally throw short or overthrow - yes. But, for the most part - he's on the money. The other receivers just don't have the issues with catching his throws - they know when to come back and when to cut. Jenkins catches with his hands as does Gonzalez. When Roddy does more of that - he'll turn into an elite receiver. He's darn close now.

If you are interested in the stats - here's a link I put up every week after a game. Link to the thread

Not questioning his accuracy but his ability to strike deep down field... his pass to JENKINS was fine but he is not as fast a RODDY... MY QUESTION IS CAN HE THOW THE DEEP PASS TO RODDY given the speed of RODDY.

Ryan doesnt have a cannon, no doubt about it, but he is accurate enough in the intermediate ranged that our offense should be just fine...ya cant do anything about drive killing drops though.

I only remember 2 clear drops by our receivers last week, one by Jenks on a comeback route, and the one that hit Roddy in the chest plate after he slipped.

Ryan doesnt have a cannon, no doubt about it, but he is accurate enough in the intermediate ranged that our offense should be just fine...ya cant do anything about drive killing drops though.

I only remember 2 clear drops by our receivers last week, one by Jenks on a comeback route, and the one that hit Roddy in the chest plate after he slipped.

There were only 2 drops in the game. Jenkins did not drop the ball - he was hit before the ball got there and it was stripped. I pointed this out in another thread in detail. Roddy dropped 2 - the one in the chest and the one on the sidelines in the 2nd quarter with 10:22 left in the quarter.

Edit - here' s the link: Come on man link

It's post #32 - here is the part:

8. 4th Quarter with 13:44 left - There were 2 very, very clear cases of pass interference on this play. I also viewed this one frame by frame - by the way - that was a strip - not a missed pass. I could never get a clear picture of the number of the first player - it was either #29 Springs or #25 Chung - but he held on to Booker for almost 10 yards - what happened to the after 5 yard rule? Then when Jenks turned and came back to catch the ball - Bodden was on him before the ball got there - yes I viewed this frame by frame - wrapped him and stripped the ball from his hands. Would have been a great defensive move if he hadn't done it early - but hey - I guess it was since the refs AGAIN missed 2 blatant PI's on one play.

If you'd like I can link you to the thread that shows the Jenkins catch - I went frame by frame. No drop.

I can live with that but unless we air out the ball we will have some major issues with the run game.

and visa versa. We need to establish a BETTER (aka, our O-line stepping up) ground attack to SET Ryan up for the pass. There is no question that Ryan has great arm strength, just watch the games from last season.

and visa versa. We need to establish a BETTER (aka, our O-line stepping up) ground attack to SET Ryan up for the pass. There is no question that Ryan has great arm strength, just watch the games from last season.

Bingo! When we establish the run game and get some of the pressure out of Ryan's face so he can step up to make his throws - we'll see an even better completion rate than 66% on deep passes.

Were getting of topic, this isn't about RODDY dropping passes its about the DEEP BALL... Lets talk stats now...

Passing

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate

2009 Atlanta Falcons 3 91 60 65.9 30.3 648 7.1 216.0 5 5.5 1 1.1 27 9 0 2 16 100.4

2008 Atlanta Falcons 16 434 265 61.1 27.1 3,440 7.9 215.0 16 3.7 11 2.5 70T 45 9 17 104 87.7

As you can see in 2008 he only had 9 passes for 40 yards. In 2009 he has "0", its early but this needs to change in order to open the run game.

I'd rather have a QB that is accurate and knows where to go with the ball instead of one with a rocket arm.

Take Vick and Jamarcus Russell as prime examples, those guys have the strongest arms in the league, but couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, er, I mean, their WRs with a pass.

Bingo! When we establish the run game and get some of the pressure out of Ryan's face so he can step up to make his throws - we'll see an even better completion rate than 66% on deep passes.

He only had 9 games with passes of 40 yards or more in 2008.... In 3 games in 2009 he has ZERO

I'd rather have a QB that is accurate and knows where to go with the ball instead of one with a rocket arm.

Take Vick and Jamarcus Russell as prime examples, those guys have the strongest arms in the league, but couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, er, I mean, their WRs with a pass.

Were not talkin accuracy were talking the deep ball which will open the dump passes to GONZO and open the run for TURNER.. Nothing to do with VICK... stay with me... He is a very smart QB but can he throw deep.

there's nothing wrong with ryan's arm. he threw a bunch of great deep passes last year that were RIGHT on the money. have you all forgotten that quickly all of the plays where he hooked up with roddy and jenkins deep? his arm looks even better this year.

Roddy also catches the ball with his body - always has - and it causes him to drop some very good throws.

bingo tandy. that's the reason for most of his drops.

The simple answer is "yes." There's truly no issue here with arm strength ... I recall plenty of passes of 45+ yards from him in college, before all the conditioning he has done as an NFL player, and you need only look to the KC pass last year to see what his arm is capable of.

The ability is there, but a number of things must be ironed out before the Falcons can fully take advantage of it: opening up the run game; taking a hard look at the play-calling; the timing with Roddy ...

This offense will come into its own soon. I'm sure of that.

Were getting of topic, this isn't about RODDY dropping passes its about the DEEP BALL... Lets talk stats now...

Passing

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate

2009 Atlanta Falcons 3 91 60 65.9 30.3 648 7.1 216.0 5 5.5 1 1.1 27 9 0 2 16 100.4

2008 Atlanta Falcons 16 434 265 61.1 27.1 3,440 7.9 215.0 16 3.7 11 2.5 70T 45 9 17 104 87.7

As you can see in 2008 he only had 9 passes for 40 yards. In 2009 he has "0", its early but this needs to change in order to open the run game.

Much of that has to do with field position. We run the ball first. Especially last year. We had great field position for most of the season. We were in the top 3 in kick returns and broke the record on punt return yards allowed. When Ryan needs to throw the long ball - he does it. He does it well.

You can see what you want of it - but the fact is - Ryan gets the ball there - he gets it into spots that a rookie or second year QB shouldn't.

Your question is can he deliver the deep pass - and the answer is yes.

Were not talkin accuracy were talking the deep ball which will open the dump passes to GONZO and open the run for TURNER.. Nothing to do with VICK... stay with me... He is a very smart QB but can he throw deep.

I also mentioned Russell, but anyway...

Of course Ryan can throw the deep ball. He's done so before. You may want to take issue with the playcalling or the fact that Roddy's not getting open.

He only had 9 games with passes of 40 yards or more in 2008.... In 3 games in 2009 he has ZERO

Zero on the stat sheet. Yet, if you view the tape - he drops back to make his pass - under great pressure this year. What goes down as a 30 yard pass - sails 45+ in the air.

Just like the one to the end zone that got called back on a bogus offensive pass interference. 45 yards in the air and a direct strike. He's overthrown Roddy more than underthrown him this year. He even overthrew Norwood in the endzone.

Go back and count how many throws he has made this year with a defender in his face.

Watch the games - really watch them. Then decide.

Answering your question for the 3rd time in the thread - Yes.

Zero on the stat sheet. Yet, if you view the tape - he drops back to make his pass - under great pressure this year. What goes down as a 30 yard pass - sails 45+ in the air.

Just like the one to the end zone that got called back on a bogus offensive pass interference. 45 yards in the air and a direct strike. He's overthrown Roddy more than underthrown him this year. He even overthrew Norwood in the endzone.

Go back and count how many throws he has made this year with a defender in his face.

Watch the games - really watch them. Then decide.

Answering your question for the 3rd time in the thread - Yes.

So your saying that the stats lie... PLEASE UNDERSTAND HE IS A ACCURATE PASSER, HE IS A GOOD THINKER ON THE FIELD, BUT can he go 40+ yards down the field.

Marques Colston leads the league so far with 3 touchdown receptions. Roddy (provided that he would've caught the passes) should be tied with him. Ryan and Roddy missed on two sure fire TD's in the Miami game (The one that ended up too far to the inside and short, and the one Ryan underthrew after Roddy had gotten behind double coverage). The opportunites haven't been plentiful.