OU tight end Jermaine Gresham to enter NFL Draft Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-tight-end-jermaine-gresham-to-enter-nfl-draft/article/3404877#ixzz0S

atljbo

link

OU tight end Jermaine Gresham to enter NFL Draft

BY JAKE TROTTER, Staff Writer, jtrotter@opubco.com

Published: September 29, 2009

University of Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops admitted during Tuesday's weekly press conference that tight end Jermaine Gresham will enter the NFL Draft after this season.

OU tight end Jermaine Gresham, right, walks off the field after the BYU loss Sept. 5. Photo by Bryan Terry

Gresham is out for the year with a cartilage injury to his knee.Because he played as a true freshmen in 2006 he had the option of using this season to redshirt and coming back in 2010. But that will not be the case.

Many draft analysts projected that Gresham would have been a first-round pick had he come out after last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eH4lRMr4Nc

link

OU tight end Jermaine Gresham to enter NFL Draft

BY JAKE TROTTER, Staff Writer, jtrotter@opubco.com

Published: September 29, 2009

University of Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops admitted during Tuesday's weekly press conference that tight end Jermaine Gresham will enter the NFL Draft after this season.

OU tight end Jermaine Gresham, right, walks off the field after the BYU loss Sept. 5. Photo by Bryan Terry

Gresham is out for the year with a cartilage injury to his knee.Because he played as a true freshmen in 2006 he had the option of using this season to redshirt and coming back in 2010. But that will not be the case.

Many draft analysts projected that Gresham would have been a first-round pick had he come out after last season.

I think that he falls out of the 1st and will be a second round draft pick, maybe we can snag him in the 2nd if we trade out of the first

Not gonna lie, I didn't want to draft Gresham last year and I still feel that way, especially after a season ending injury. He has inconsistent hands and is at best an average blocker despite his good size. He lets a lot of passes hit him in the chest and drops catchable passes far more often than I thought he would.

Personally I think he is a 1st-2nd round pick, but I don't think he will be a very good NFL TE, he might be an above-average TE in my opinion.

I rather draft Gronkowski (I think that his last name, TE from Arizona) or Pitta.

Im going to have to catch a game or two with these two guys in them because I keep hearing these names

These guys are suppose to be better than a guy that was going top 12 15 at the latest if he hadnt got hurt?

They must be game changers

If JG falls I hope that we dont pass on this guy as Zanka stated, he would only become even better under the watch and learn of Tony G

It would make the double TE set extremely dangerous on the play action

Unless Tony G is teaching him how to catch I'm not sure how that facet of his game is going to get better. Sure he could improve it, but he body catches sometimes and has too many drops to be considered an elite TE. He has the body and the speed to do it which is why everyone likes him so much, but his fundamentals are shaky as far as hands and blocking, the staples of the TE position. So either he will get picked in the 1st round and someone will end up disappointed when he doesn't pan out or he will fall as people figure out that he is an overrated prospect. At least that's what I think.

And I thought Grankowski might be out for the season but I can't find ANY information on him right now... I checked NFL Draft Scout since they are good with injuries and I checked CFB Stats to see what numbers he had, but the only guy there is a RB (or a FB really) that is a senior that has played in 4 games and has like 2 catches. I really don't think that's the same guy, but I don't know what's up with it.

Unless Tony G is teaching him how to catch I'm not sure how that facet of his game is going to get better. Sure he could improve it, but he body catches sometimes and has too many drops to be considered an elite TE. He has the body and the speed to do it which is why everyone likes him so much, but his fundamentals are shaky as far as hands and blocking, the staples of the TE position. So either he will get picked in the 1st round and someone will end up disappointed when he doesn't pan out or he will fall as people figure out that he is an overrated prospect. At least that's what I think.

And I thought Grankowski might be out for the season but I can't find ANY information on him right now... I checked NFL Draft Scout since they are good with injuries and I checked CFB Stats to see what numbers he had, but the only guy there is a RB (or a FB really) that is a senior that has played in 4 games and has like 2 catches. I really don't think that's the same guy, but I don't know what's up with it.

CBS Sports

Release: Despite his height, he gets off the line quickly whether standing up or in three-point stance. Finds second gear to accelerate past linebackers. Does not face the jam often, and must learn to use his hands to defeat it.

Hands: Has worked hard to improve consistency here, and makes some very difficult catches in traffic - but still short-arms some balls and allows others into his chest. Adjusts to poorly thrown balls in any direction. Typically secures the ball before heading upfield, but gets a bit loose on occasion. Superior height and excellent vertical for his size make him a top jump ball target.

Route running: Runs short, intermediate and deep routes effectively. Smooth runner. Quicker feet than expected, and runs tight routes inside and out. Sits down in zones and presents a large target. Will use head and body fakes before planting to cut. Constantly threatens the deep seam, as teams use a cornerback to cover him. Uses his big body to shield defenders over the middle and especially in the red zone.

After the catch: Runs like a large wide receiver but is as strong as an ox after the catch. Makes defenders miss with a quick stop move and is strong enough to push oncoming tacklers by. Also able to leap defenders going for his legs. Not in the Tony Gonzalez mold for fluidity but comes fairly close. Will lean forward to run through arm tackles, sometimes requiring three defenders to bring him down.

Blocking: Effective, if not dominating, blocker in-line and on the edge when lined in the slot or in motion. On run plays he will get wide and put hands into the numbers to anchor. Latches onto defensive backs on downfield blocks, and will take them 25-30 yards downfield in front of screens. Strong enough to pancake smaller ends crashing down the line. Could be more consistent using his hands and feet to sustain. Must learn to pick up corner blitzes.

Intangibles: Team player who blocks with the same vigor he shows after the catch. Arrest for failing to appear to settle a speeding ticket in April 2009 should not have a significant impact on his draft stock.

Too many people question his blocking, I knew better I just wanted some evidence to hush those who obviously have not watch the guy play

Again, a year behind Tony G will improve not only his game overall but Im positive Tony G can teach him a thing or two about catching the ball

To say that he is over-rated is your opinion to say the least and the facts are the guy by all accounts is a baller and is a threat in the seams at all times regardless of whether is on or off on any particular day in catching the ball

This is why he was top 15, Again this is the first Ive ever heard of Pitta so I will watch him play before I speak on him, but the CBS reports dont speak highly of him

CBS Sports

Release: Despite his height, he gets off the line quickly whether standing up or in three-point stance. Finds second gear to accelerate past linebackers. Does not face the jam often, and must learn to use his hands to defeat it.

Hands: Has worked hard to improve consistency here, and makes some very difficult catches in traffic - but still short-arms some balls and allows others into his chest. Adjusts to poorly thrown balls in any direction. Typically secures the ball before heading upfield, but gets a bit loose on occasion. Superior height and excellent vertical for his size make him a top jump ball target.

Route running: Runs short, intermediate and deep routes effectively. Smooth runner. Quicker feet than expected, and runs tight routes inside and out. Sits down in zones and presents a large target. Will use head and body fakes before planting to cut. Constantly threatens the deep seam, as teams use a cornerback to cover him. Uses his big body to shield defenders over the middle and especially in the red zone.

After the catch: Runs like a large wide receiver but is as strong as an ox after the catch. Makes defenders miss with a quick stop move and is strong enough to push oncoming tacklers by. Also able to leap defenders going for his legs. Not in the Tony Gonzalez mold for fluidity but comes fairly close. Will lean forward to run through arm tackles, sometimes requiring three defenders to bring him down.

Blocking: Effective, if not dominating, blocker in-line and on the edge when lined in the slot or in motion. On run plays he will get wide and put hands into the numbers to anchor. Latches onto defensive backs on downfield blocks, and will take them 25-30 yards downfield in front of screens. Strong enough to pancake smaller ends crashing down the line. Could be more consistent using his hands and feet to sustain. Must learn to pick up corner blitzes.

Intangibles: Team player who blocks with the same vigor he shows after the catch. Arrest for failing to appear to settle a speeding ticket in April 2009 should not have a significant impact on his draft stock.

Too many people question his blocking, I knew better I just wanted some evidence to hush those who obviously have not watch the guy play

Again, a year behind Tony G will improve not only his game overall but Im positive Tony G can teach him a thing or two about catching the ball

To say that he is over-rated is your opinion to say the least and the facts are the guy by all accounts is a baller and is a threat in the seams at all times regardless of whether is on or off on any particular day in catching the ball

This is why he was top 15, Again this is the first Ive ever heard of Pitta so I will watch him play before I speak on him, but the CBS reports dont speak highly of him

Thanks for posting that, but like Mr. Offseason/NFL draft I am having a hard time finding info on this kid. I even tried to watch a Arizona game and he didnt even play. It is kind of weird.