Time to take the training wheels off Matt Ryan

yesmann

Matt Ryan is good enough now to carry a team on his back, or right arm. Our receivers are excellent, the OLine has been protecting Ryan pretty well(much better than they've been run blocking), and the running game is struggling. Look at the Ravens. Last year they protected their rookie QB, and this year they are taking off the training wheels. I think it's time to do the same with Ryan. Our passing game is (or could/should be) unstoppable. Our running game, simply put, is not. It's not this year, and it wasn't last year. Don't let last year's easy schedule fool you. We weren't a dominant running team against good defenses. We were good, but not dominant. Turner got 220 yards against the Lions, 208 against the rams, 139 against Oakland, etc, which made the running game look more dominant than it really was.

I'm sick of the cliche run first crap. Our passing game>>>>>our running game. It's time to let Ryan be Peyton Manning. He's ready. Tony G is ready. Roddy White, Jenkins, Booker and Finn are ready. Let a dominant aerial attack make things easy for the running game. Do it.

Matt Ryan is good enough now to carry a team on his back, or right arm. Our receivers are excellent, the OLine has been protecting Ryan pretty well(much better than they've been run blocking), and the running game is struggling. Look at the Ravens. Last year they protected their rookie QB, and this year they are taking off the training wheels. I think it's time to do the same with Ryan. Our passing game is (or could/should be) unstoppable. Our running game, simply put, is not. It's not this year, and it wasn't last year. Don't let last year's easy schedule fool you. We weren't a dominant running team against good defenses. We were good, but not dominant. Turner got 220 yards against the Lions, 208 against the rams, 139 against Oakland, etc, which made the running game look more dominant than it really was.

I'm sick of the cliche run first crap. Our passing game>>>>>our running game. It's time to let Ryan be Peyton Manning. He's ready. Tony G is ready. Roddy White, Jenkins, Booker and Finn are ready. Let a dominant aerial attack make things easy for the running game. Do it.

I agree. And whatever happened to the no huddle? They did it once in NE, but I can't recall it being ran yet prior to that. Ryan runs it so efficiently. I hate seeing them throw a run in their even when it's painfully obvious that the running game is hindering the offense. This loss was at the right time, and I'm hoping that Mularkey pulls his head out of his rear and opens up the offense.

I agree. And whatever happened to the no huddle? They did it once in NE, but I can't recall it being ran yet prior to that. Ryan runs it so efficiently. I hate seeing them throw a run in their even when it's painfully obvious that the running game is hindering the offense. This loss was at the right time, and I'm hoping that Mularkey pulls his head out of his rear and opens up the offense.

We attempted to run it multiple times against NE. Every time we got into a favorable situation to run it where we had good match-ups they called a timeout.

I have to admit that I find our game planning to be a little odd. It is not that Ryan is not throwing it is that he hasn't been able to make a big strike down the field. It may still be a little rust but he needs to do like Brady did and just keep hurling it until it feels right.

Belichick exposed us as a short yardage only team. The slow march is a great way to win football games but if your opponent doesn't respect your ability to make big plays they can use their red zone schemes against you and even bad defenses are more effective in short yard situations.

yall be mad funnie

only reezon homeboy was averidge last yer wuz cuz of turna

now dat we aint got no kinds of run game ryan gonna have a mad hard time

he aint brady, why yall act like he be duh next one? watch ryan gonna have mad ints by duh end of duh yer, more than tds

Hmmm...you must be that guy in your sig. Howard Stern shouldn't let you on the internet.

We threw more at New England. We need the running game.

Not if it doesn't work. The passing game worked, we should have used it more. Especially in the 4th Qt when we were down. Turner runs two times in a row, good coverage on third down, and a punt on 4th. We have to let Ryan take us to the promised land.

Ryan passed 62% of the plays Sunday. It's a bit hard to do anything with 20 min offensive possession.

I'm not sure if the success of the passing game is based on good pass blocking or Ryan just getting rid of the ball quickly not giving the defense an opportunity.

In Sunday's game Ryan had 2 passes batted away and was knocked down a couple of times after he released the ball. They called 3-4 passes where Ryan would roll out to one side of the field. Roll out takes away a lot of options and narrows the field of play making it easier on the defense. The only reason I would think they would call such plays is because the pass blocking wasn't holding up well.

Brady had all the time in the world to find an open receiver and throw down field. Ryan is usually throwing the ball before the receiver makes his break.

Despite some issues at least the offense can move the ball. If the defense can stop the run and at least provide some occasional pressure on the QB, Falcons would be dangerous.

yall be mad funnie

only reezon homeboy was averidge last yer wuz cuz of turna

now dat we aint got no kinds of run game ryan gonna have a mad hard time

he aint brady, why yall act like he be duh next one? watch ryan gonna have mad ints by duh end of duh yer, more than tds

Sure, the current 5:1 ratio leads me to believe that. Seriously, dude, do you at least amuse yourself?

In response to the actual thread, I certainly don't say abandon the run, but I would love to see the no-huddle become an even bigger part of our offense, and I am 100% sure that "taking the training wheels off Ryan" could have tremendous results.

I think it's obvious that the coaching staff does not think Ryan's skills are there yet to operate like Bress, Manning or Brady. The conservative playcalling tells you they don't think he's ready to assume that role on the team.

The coaching staff elected to punt the ball from our own 38 which indicates the type of trust they have in Matt to make a big play.

Matt rolled out of the pocket on several occasions for no reason which cuts off half the field. You don't do this unless your trying to limit or simplify thing for you QB.

I agree. We have all these weapons that should result in an "explosive offense". But we're not even trying to call plays that even have the potential to be explosive.

If the Pats double covered Gonzo all day (which they did), and if they also payed a lot of attention to White (which they did), then we should've been able to hit Jenkins all day long, and we should also have been able to run the ball.

So something doesn't add up. We're not getting anywhere even near the explosiveness we should be getting. Part of it is due to ultra-conservative play calling. What are we scared of?

I think it's obvious that the coaching staff does not think Ryan's skills are there yet to operate like Bress, Manning or Brady. The conservative playcalling tells you they don't think he's ready to assume that role on the team.

The coaching staff elected to punt the ball from our own 38 which indicates the type of trust they have in Matt to make a big play.

Matt rolled out of the pocket on several occasions for no reason which cuts off half the field. You don't do this unless your trying to limit or simplify thing for you QB.

I doubt that seriously. Ryan is not the reason for the conservative play calling. There isn't anything that can be asked of a QB that Ryan can't do. Mularkey just needs to stop being so conservative.

I agree. Still can't figure out why we didn't let Ryan loose in the NE game. I mean, if I'm not mistake we're in 1st or 2nd in run attempts but only getting around 3.5 ypc.

Totally agree 100%.

This dink and dunk and Turner up the middle for 2 yards **** has to stop.

Sometimes you have to use the pass to open up the run game, and that may be just what Turner needs. We start hitting White and Jenkins deeps down the sideline and Gonzo deep over the middle Turner might find a couple new holes opening up.

I'm absolutely baffled as to why we STILL have the governor on Ryan's engine.

i dont have an issue with our run to pass ratio i do however have an issue with the underneath to deep route ratio that our offense has been running with...gonzo demands safety help so roddy should be facing more single coverage and even if they give help to roddy's defender certainly jenks is going to be able to get open down the field...with nobody left to help cover him jenks size advantage should me magnified and combined with our pass blocking which has been pretty good i think we should be able to gash defenses if we test them deep...opening up the run and turning the underneath routes from 6 yards and tackle to some opportunity for YAC.