Its time to see what Tye Hill can do

atljbo

tye-hill.jpg

Tye Hill has the tools... The guy is Fast, fluid hips, good change of direction, and great recovery speed…. During Tye Hill’s rookie season he showed great promise after registering 47 tackles, 3 int, 1 recovered fumble (played in all 16 games) …After that the injury bug got Tye Hill … The next 2 years Tye Hill played a combine 12 games..Injuries derailed Tye Hill and his confidence.... Now that Tye Hill is 100% healthy lets see can we gain his confidence back (the confidence he showed as a rookie) ……. Thomas Dimitroff scouted Tye Hill when Hill attended Clemson….. TD and the Patriots were very high on Tye and also had a very high draft grade on him….. Thomas Dimitroff know that this guy has it in him to be a good CB but like TD said… Its about Tye Hill gaining his confidence back, staying healthy, and learning the playbook…. The sweet part about this trade is that if TD strikes gold with Tye Hill like he did with Foxworth…. We will have a young CB (27 years old) on a 2 year contract (2009: $1.037 million, 2010: $1.3755 million) ….. So there is not going to be a one good year then leave like Foxworth did... This is Tye Hill's new beginning... We heard from Jets fans that he sucked, We heard from Broncos fans that he sucked, and we heard from the jag fans that Mike Peterson is old,washed up, and way past his prime... They were wrong.... Lets see what Tye Hill can do.

Yahoosports

Sep 28 CB Tye Hill has been on the roster for going on five weeks, which seems like plenty of time for him to get acclimated in the "system." Although, Chris Houston, Brian Williams and Brent Grimes have been solid, it may be time to find out if Hill can help. If he can cover man-to-man, then the Falcons would be able to unleash more blitzes.

Combine

40 Yrd Dash: 4.34

20 Yrd Dash: 2.59

10 Yrd Dash: 1.52

Vertical Jump: 41

Broad Jump: 10'09"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.05

3-Cone Drill: 6.64

Draft Profiles

His incredible potential has been verified over the past two years with back-to-back most improved player awards in his only two years playing defensive back. Tye Hill also had a very impressive Senior Bowl week.

IO: Former running back who switched to cornerback as a sophomore and has started ever since. All-Conference selection as a senior after totaling 43/3/4. Junior numbers included 52/21(pass deflections).

POSITIVES: Terrific shutdown cornerback coming off an outstanding senior season. Quick-footed in reverse, fluid flipping his hips and loses nothing transitioning with opponents. Easily stays downfield with receivers, reading their eyes then getting his head back around to locate the ball. Quick planting to the throw and adjusts in midair to make the interception. Physical and supports the run.

NEGATIVES: Marginal size and loses out in battles. Has average hands.

ANALYSIS: A track sprinter who translates his speed onto the football field, Hill has been on a straight shot up draft boards the past six months. Performed well last season then had an outstanding Senior Bowl. First-round selection who should quickly break into a starting role at the next level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAkHsp4veXw

I'm ready as well. He did really well with Clemson. He can hit too, and I saw a play Sun where Houston ran up to the ball carrier and threw his hands up and didn't even touch the guy and the ball carrier ran around him. So I'm ready see if Hill's hitting will rub off on our DBs

I'm ready as well. He did really well with Clemson. He can hit too, and I saw a play Sun where Houston ran up to the ball carrier and threw his hands up and didn't even touch the guy and the ball carrier ran around him. So I'm ready see if Hill's hitting will rub off on our DBs

Wasn't that the play where Randy Moss blocked him in the back and (surprise!) no flag was thrown?

he definitely has talent and this a new team should be a breath of fresh air. we've seen what it's done for guys like foxy, peterson, coleman, williams, etc., guys who had fallen down their teams depth chart for whatever reason and then came here and played really well. our staff also does a great job at keeping players healthy, unlike the rams who seem to have a guy going on IR every week.

i'm excited for him to get his shot and i have a feeling he's going to shine.

This comment from the website kinda bothered me:

"With the benefit of the bye week, Smith said the team would take a “good, long, hard look” at cornerback Tye Hill, who was acquired from St. Louis2.gif during the preseason but has yet to play. Hill has been learning the team’s system and Smith said the week off would provide a good time to see how much he has learned."

This makes it sound like Hill isn't grasping the system very quickly. Unless it's Coachspeak for "Oops, we picked a loser" Hopefully, they'll have him ready for SF. I know that Brian Williams adapted fast because of his time under Smith in JAX, but I wonder what's taking Hill so long.

I agree that Ty Hill is going to be an upgrade from Grimes and, possibly, Houston. However, Hill has that injury history. I don't know what sort of injuries he has had in the past, but I would be extra careful with him. We will certainly need him for the back half of this season, so any and all precautions need to be taken.

I remember reading something about an injury prevention program that our trainers have. Most of the players swear by it. It involves weight training that "balances" the workouts to reduce stress on joints and muscle groups. San Fran is not a big passing team, so I would consider giving Hill at least another week to prepare for the physical part of football.

"With the benefit of the bye week, Smith said the team would take a “good, long, hard look” at cornerback Tye Hill, who was acquired from St. Louis2.gif during the preseason but has yet to play. Hill has been learning the team’s system and Smith said the week off would provide a good time to see how much he has learned."

This makes it sound like Hill isn't grasping the system very quickly. Unless it's Coachspeak for "Oops, we picked a loser" Hopefully, they'll have him ready for SF. I know that Brian Williams adapted fast because of his time under Smith in JAX, but I wonder what's taking Hill so long.

i'm not too worried about it. they did the same thing with foxy. in fact they made him sit even longer and our corners looked worse last year than this year. he ended up coming in and being our best corner through the rest of the season. i think they just wanted to wait until after the bye to use him.

I disagree..... Brian Williams played in the same scheme for the jags..... Tye Hill is in a similar situation as Foxworth..... It took Foxworth till week 8 to get some playing time.... Tye Hill is ahead of schedule really (if the guy plays in week 4) ....

Thanks, jbo!

POSITIVES: Terrific shutdown cornerback coming off an outstanding senior season. Quick-footed in reverse, fluid flipping his hips and loses nothing transitioning with opponents. Easily stays downfield with receivers, reading their eyes then getting his head back around to locate the ball. Quick planting to the throw and adjusts in midair to make the interception. Physical and supports the run.

Let's see.... who gets replaced at cornerback? Hmmmm, I wonder.

I graduated from Clemson in 07 so I got to see his whole career. Dude is a straight baller. I was higher on him than any other Clemson player ever coming into the draft. He's got great speed and hops. Reacts to the ball well. Can't wait to see him finally play in a Falcons uni. I'm no homer either. The only other Clemson players I've been high on in the past 10 years have been Leroy Hill, Michael Hamlin, and Chris Clemmons. I wanted Aaron Kelly to surprise me, James Davis definitely surprised me in the preseason.

Yeah I remember that play with Houston, Moss pushed him in the back as the running back ran past him..........................

i'm not too worried about it. they did the same thing with foxy. in fact they made him sit even longer and our corners looked worse last year than this year. he ended up coming in and being our best corner through the rest of the season. i think they just wanted to wait until after the bye to use him.

Then this was from Smith's PC yesterday (I just now got around to reading it.........sorry!):

Q: Where does Tye Hill stand as far as competing?

A: “Well Tye is going to have a real good opportunity this week because we are not going to be in a game plan situation, we are going to be working on getting the Falcons football2.gif team better. Tye is going to get an opportunity to really play in our scheme this week. We’ll take a good hard look at Tye this week and see where he is in term of verbiage and understanding our scheme.”

That still sounds pretty non-committal as to activating him.

Then this quote from atljbo:

I disagree..... Brian Williams played in the same scheme for the jags..... Tye Hill is in a similar situation as Foxworth..... It took Foxworth till week 8 to get some playing time.... Tye Hill is ahead of schedule really (if the guy plays in week 4) ....

I get what you're saying about Williams vs. Foxworth - I didn't remember it taking him that long. But besides that, I think we are in agreement - I said that Williams caught on faster because of his time in JAX. Anyway - I'm not arguing or debating, just commenting. :)