Is Turners Weight the issue?

falcons4life

Mark Bradley's article from Monday was a pretty accurate description of what went down on Sunday. AJC

Yet it wasnt what was in the article itself that caught my eye. Bradley is one of few writers that will actually have a dialogue with the people who leave comments on his articles and when people started talking about the lack of a run offense he posted this nugget.

Mark Bradley

September 27th, 2009

6:14 pm

It’s thought by some that Turner is carrying a few extra pounds. That hasn’t been proved, but I’ve heard it mentioned.

Is this something that anyone else has heard? I've not seen a single mention anywhere else about this. The guy looks pretty much the same as last season but his numbers certainly are down.

Dont know if the lack of a solid run game is a weight issue or an OL issue but we certainly arent as potent as last season.

With so many members here scouring the web for info I tend to look at Bradleys comment with a grain of salt unless it can be corroborated elsewhere. Anyone read anything like this?

I think he was listed at 250 lbs. at one point. He looks

the same to me. I think all he needs to do is break a nice

run to get his confidence jacked back up to the unstoppable

level. He conquered most of his worlds last year. Now it is

time to do it again and he needs to show up for the party.

Well, he ran fine in the preseason. The DL are getting too much penetration. As a RB, you rely on people getting you to the hole and then you getting through. That's not happening.

Maybe the OL overachieved last year???

I'm still of the opinion Baker and Blaylock are studs as evidenced by the Falcons success running to the left. I'm also a fan of Clabo and his versatility. McClure and Dahl are candidates for potential ugrades/replacement.

Freaking AJC

We had this discussion when TC Opened.

My take is that Turner had over 370 carries last season and the guy came into TC over 260 lbs

or something like that.

My stance then and now is, after that many carries Turner should have lost several pounds so he could be lighter on his feet.

Last year Turner at 245 had fresh legs.

After 370+ Carries and a whole bunch of extra weight Turner is too slow to hit the holes.

Can the S+C Coaches be held to blame?

Yes and No.

There was no way for them to know what would work for Turner and what would not.

They should have consulted TATF first.

Freaking AJC

We had this discussion when TC Opened.

My take is that Turner had over 370 carries last season and the guy came into TC over 260 lbs

or something like that.

My stance then and now is, after that many carries Turner should have lost several pounds so he could be lighter on his feet.

Last year Turner at 245 had fresh legs.

After 370+ Carries and a whole bunch of extra weight Turner is too slow to hit the holes.

Can the S+C Coaches be held to blame?

Yes and No.

There was no way for them to know what would work for Turner and what would not.

They should have consulted TATF first.

The curse of 370 *plays dramatic music* :ph34r:

Well, he ran fine in the preseason. The DL are getting too much penetration. As a RB, you rely on people getting you to the hole and then you getting through. That's not happening.

Maybe the OL overachieved last year???

I'm still of the opinion Baker and Blaylock are studs as evidenced by the Falcons success running to the left. I'm also a fan of Clabo and his versatility. McClure and Dahl are candidates for potential ugrades/replacement.

I think the OL overachieved last year. Our strength of schedule was weak compared to this season plus team did not have much tape on our blocking schemes.

This year the OL and DL seem to be losing the war at the line of scrimmage. Turner is trying to be patience and let wholes open up and the blocks are just not being held long enough to do that.

That is a ridiculous article if he actually watched the games which I'm sure he did. The problem is our o-line not opening up holes for him. He is the type of back that has to get going to be effective. He is not an AP type that can make something out of nothin on a consistent basis. He has to get his load started and get to the second level. Right now he is not getting to the second level. He looked fine in preseason and just as quick as last year. Right now it is our blocking that is the problem. Maybe play calling a little bit.

I wonder if part of too is that 2 out of the 3 teams we have played so far this year run the 3-4 D and schematically our O-line just doesn't perform as well against that.

falcons4life

Smitty said after the game in New England that the offensive line is doing just fine and then implied Truner was the problem. After saying the OL was NOT the problem and that they were doin their job is really didn;t leave a lot to wonder what Smitty meant!

I honestly think the OL is during a poor job run blocking, there pass blocking has risen but their run blocking is decrease. I was comparing the lines of the cowboys to ours and I remember seeing them create massive holes, when I think of our lines, I clearly remember McClure getting blowed up at the point of attack.

I even remember one rushing play, McClure got knocked to the side and Turner then got tackled. Now the fumbles, are all on Turner.