Falcons work on run defense during bye

nativefalcon

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Flowery Branch -- Falcons coach Mike Smith has plenty on his "to do" list for team's bye week.

Enlarge photo Curtis Compton, ccompton@ajc.com Backup defensive tackle Trey Lewis (97) helped filled in for injured Peria Jerry.

.And right at the top is getting the team's run defense re-established after the the team was mangled by the New England Patriots for 168 yards on 39 carries.

"We were not gap sound," Smith said on Monday. "Any time that you are giving up 6-, 7- and 8-yard runs, someone is probably out of a gap. That was definitely the issue [sunday]."

Backup defensive tackles Thomas Johnson and Trey Lewis filled in for Peria Jerry, the team's first-round draft pick who is out for the season with a knee injury.

For Lewis, it was his first game since Sept. 28, 2007, almost a full 22 months after his knee injury.

"Trey got a number of snaps," Smith said. "He definitely had some rust on him."

But Smith was quick to point out that Lewis was not the sole reason for the porous run defense.

"Trey can play better than he did. We know that," Smith said. "Just because we had Trey and not Peria Jerry, believe me, that was not the reason that we did not defend the run. We do not even want to insinuate that at this point."

Run game upgrade

The Patriots forced the Falcons to get away from their rushing attack. The Falcons only had 49 offensive snaps and ran just 16 times.

"I think the guys are blocking well up front," Smith said. "We have not been running as effectively as we'd like."

Since Michael Turner joined the team last year, the Falcons are 3-5 when the opposition holds Turner to 70 yards or less rushing.

Where's the deep ball?

Smith dismissed the idea throwing more deep passes to help move some of the defensive players off the line of scrimmage and out of the box.

"Our offense is predicated and designed on how people are defending us," Smith said. "If they are defending us to allow us to take deep shots, we will take deep shots."

Roddy White has been targeted on 26 passes. He has 15 catches for 119 yards (7.9 yards per catch). He averaged 15.7 per catch last year and 15.4 yards over 230 career catches coming into this season.

Turner's fumbles

Going back to last season's playoff game, Turner has had three fumbles in his last four games.

Long drives

Both teams had nine possessions in the game but New England had five drives that went at least 11 plays. The Falcons had only double-digit drive all day (12 plays), that coming on their first possession of the game.

Erasing penalties

Smith was not happy with the seven penalties for 54 yards against the Patriots.

The most costly one was the offensive pass interference call on Michael Jenkins that erased a third-quarter touchdown. Also, Smith cited defensive end Jamaal Anderson's roughing the passer penalty on New England's opening drive.

"We want to play aggressively but we want to make sure that we play smart," Smith said.

Pass rush was stymied

New England elected to use two or three tight ends on 50 of their snaps against the Falcons.

"They wanted to make sure they were going to protect their quarterback differently than they did the week before," Smith said.

Etc.

Cornerback Tye Hill is going to get a better chance to work with the Falcons defense during the bye week. ... Running back Jerious Norwood (head) and safety William Moore (hamstring) are expected to be ready for the San Francisco game Oct. 11.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/falcons-work-on-run-149146.html

Thank GOD their working on the Run defense . ;)

Where's the deep ball?

Smith dismissed the idea throwing more deep passes to help move some of the defensive players off the line of scrimmage and out of the box.

"Our offense is predicated and designed on how people are defending us," Smith said. "If they are defending us to allow us to take deep shots, we will take deep shots."

well teams are sending LBs in to stop Turner making the situation ideal to pass, right? thats what everyone has been doing. aren't defenses defending us to allow deep shots down the field? why havent we been taking them then?

Not gonna lie, we gotta keep Eric Weems back there on kickoffs...He has been getting some mad yardage back there...We need to mix it up back there in the run game by giving J-Wood the rock more..

in the beginning of the season, i would disagree with this. but Weems has been showing good stuff on kick offs.i say leave him to do kick offs, especially since Norwood is coming from an injury. dont want to push everything on him at once.

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

Flowery Branch -- Falcons coach Mike Smith has plenty on his "to do" list for team's bye week.

Enlarge photo Curtis Compton, ccompton@ajc.com Backup defensive tackle Trey Lewis (97) helped filled in for injured Peria Jerry.

.And right at the top is getting the team's run defense re-established after the the team was mangled by the New England Patriots for 168 yards on 39 carries.

"We were not gap sound," Smith said on Monday. "Any time that you are giving up 6-, 7- and 8-yard runs, someone is probably out of a gap. That was definitely the issue [sunday]."

Backup defensive tackles Thomas Johnson and Trey Lewis filled in for Peria Jerry, the team's first-round draft pick who is out for the season with a knee injury.

For Lewis, it was his first game since Sept. 28, 2007, almost a full 22 months after his knee injury.

But Smith was quick to point out that Lewis was not the sole reason for the porous run defense.

"Trey can play better than he did. We know that," Smith said. "Just because we had Trey and not Peria Jerry, believe me, that was not the reason that we did not defend the run. We do not even want to insinuate that at this point."

Run game upgrade

The Patriots forced the Falcons to get away from their rushing attack. The Falcons only had 49 offensive snaps and ran just 16 times.

"I think the guys are blocking well up front," Smith said. "We have not been running as effectively as we'd like."

Since Michael Turner joined the team last year, the Falcons are 3-5 when the opposition holds Turner to 70 yards or less rushing.

Where's the deep ball?

Roddy White has been targeted on 26 passes. He has 15 catches for 119 yards (7.9 yards per catch). He averaged 15.7 per catch last year and 15.4 yards over 230 career catches coming into this season.

Turner's fumbles

Going back to last season's playoff game, Turner has had three fumbles in his last four games.

Long drives

Both teams had nine possessions in the game but New England had five drives that went at least 11 plays. The Falcons had only double-digit drive all day (12 plays), that coming on their first possession of the game.

Erasing penalties

The most costly one was the offensive pass interference call on Michael Jenkins that erased a third-quarter touchdown. Also, Smith cited defensive end Jamaal Anderson's roughing the passer penalty on New England's opening drive.

"We want to play aggressively but we want to make sure that we play smart," Smith said.

Pass rush was stymied

New England elected to use two or three tight ends on 50 of their snaps against the Falcons.

"They wanted to make sure they were going to protect their quarterback differently than they did the week before," Smith said.

Etc.

Cornerback Tye Hill is going to get a better chance to work with the Falcons defense during the bye week. ... Running back Jerious Norwood (head) and safety William Moore (hamstring) are expected to be ready for the San Francisco game Oct. 11.

lets hope they put in alot of work and it actually pays off

in the beginning of the season, i would disagree with this. but Weems has been showing good stuff on kick offs.i say leave him to do kick offs, especially since Norwood is coming from an injury. dont want to push everything on him at once.

I agree, but Norwood can scare people kickoff wise, but I agree, they don't need him to do any heavy lifting like that. ;)

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

Run game upgrade

Where's the deep ball?

Turner's fumbles

Long drives

Erasing penalties

Pass rush was stymied

Etc.

I highlighted some areas that seem to be getting questioned with other threads. Maybe people will see and read these quotes and come to understand what Coach Smith and the Falcons are doing. The only missing info is what they did to try and adjust after the half.

I really hated that Smith is game planning reactively to what other teams give us. I know we are a young team and we have to gain alot of experience to get to the point to where we dictate the playcalling. I just hope he doesnt think we will always have to just take what is given to us, thats not the attitude I want as an orginization.

Not gonna lie, we gotta keep Eric Weems back there on kickoffs...He has been getting some mad yardage back there...We need to mix it up back there in the run game by giving J-Wood the rock more..

agree, Weems has been pretty good on KR and PR, i would expect him to get 6 at least once this season, and this would save the wear and tear on Jerious

I agree 110% with that. Weems has been doing a great job IMO. Regardless of what I think the yardage gains speak for themselves. I'll say this right now to those who doubt weems ability, I believe that it's just a matter of time before weems breaks through for a td on a return. It's not like weems has been facing mediocre teams either.

Don't get me wrong, you gotta give some credit for the rest of the teams, blockers etc... I think weems is the right player for the job at this point in time.

Smitty said the OL is blocking well up front and then said "we just are't running it as efectively as we'd like".

In other words, it's not the OL blocking that is the problem .

I do remember Turner almost breaking like 2-3 runs and on 2 of those he got tackled by an arm trip

Norwood back, will help

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

Run game upgrade

Where's the deep ball?

Turner's fumbles

Long drives

Erasing penalties

Pass rush was stymied

Etc.

Some armchair GMs might have missed that.

Interesting ... if you look at what Smitty said about the run game, it seems like maybe he feels that Turner is not on top of his game. He said the run game is not what we want it to be, but they are blocking well up front.

You have to admit it is reasonable to at least consider whether Turner might be off. He has fumbled in 3 of his last 4 games, and he is not really getting the yards. It's true that sometimes, he turns what looks like nothing into 7 yards through sheer toughness. But there are a lot of no/low gains, and we haven't seen him turn on the Burner jets and break many big plays.