Someone answer this for me

Farmer2

Obviously we are all upset that we sat back and rushed four down linemen all day yesterday. The top defenses in the league blitz and blitz often.

My question is this:

Is it our personel that's a problem? Are our LB's not blitzing LB's? Is it the 4-3? Is it the coaching staff fears the DB's can't match up one-on-one?

To me it seems obvious. Our d-line can't create pressure against a solid O-line and our DB's aren't good enough to stay w/ WR's for 4-5 seconds. For that matter I don't know any DB that is. But if our front four can't create pressure why not blitz 5-6. Yeah you might give up the big play, but it also creates big plays the other way. It also rattles even the best QB's.

Obviously we are all upset that we sat back and rushed four down linemen all day yesterday. The top defenses in the league blitz and blitz often.

My question is this:

Is it our personel that's a problem? Are our LB's not blitzing LB's? Is it the 4-3? Is it the coaching staff fears the DB's can't match up one-on-one?

To me it seems obvious. Our d-line can't create pressure against a solid O-line and our DB's aren't good enough to stay w/ WR's for 4-5 seconds. For that matter I don't know any DB that is. But if our front four can't create pressure why not blitz 5-6. Yeah you might give up the big play, but it also creates big plays the other way. It also rattles even the best QB's.

It's a few things. One, I actually don't think our DC is very good with blitz schemes. Another is we seem to feel if we make a team drive the entire distance of the field, and make a lot of 3rd down conversions, they'll eventually screw up. That works pretty well over time IF you can generate pressure on 3rd down. For instance, if we're unable to generate pressure with the front four on 1st and 2nd because they have to watch out for the run, but they're great on 3rd down, with their ears pinned back, then a non blitzing, bend but don't break style can work. However, if you can't get pressure on 3rd down, even with ears pinned back, it fails.

I believe your point above is the basics of it. We can't get pressure with our front 4, and our secondary can't hold up if we blitz. The team tried to address it by getting penetrating tackles and ends, but they're just not there yet. They attempted in preseason to see if they could blitz, and the secondary performed horribly.

I think they're going to have to start throwing more blitzes in there, as our D isn't getting it done pressure wise, but we will see issues with more big plays against us.

I believe when one corner steps up, and a FS starts to turn deflections into picks, then there will be much more blitzing.

Personally, I'd blitz a lot more, as I like to at least take the fight to them, but I think the coaching staff believes if they can hold teams to around 20, our offense should outscore them...and that's true...they should.

lets just ask this question, What has BVG done in the NFL to prove he is a good DC?....... nothing, I liked all of TD's hires and I liked all of Smiths hires, even Mularkey, but the one where i scratched my head was BVG, when was the last time we had a really aggressive DC in here????

My question is this:

The Giants has one of the best Defense in the league and they dont blitz.... The Vikings does not blitz allot also.

But if you are talking about us... I think TD and BVG want to bliz more but we do not have the personnel ... The personnel we are missing is a #1 CB.... The Bronco's are blitzing more this year but they have Champ Baily.... The Jets has Darrelle Revis..... The Eagles has Asante Samuel....

I think Curtis Lofton and Stephen Nicholas are 2 very good blitzing LB's.... The problem is if we blitz Curtis Lofton and Nicholas a safety will have to step up in the box to help Mike Peterson hold down the middle of the field... We will have 1 single high safety and both CB's checking their WR one on one...... Brian Williams is not fast enough, Brent Grimes is to little, Chris Houston can be a #2 CB but he is not a #1 CB..... To blitz more we will need a #1 CB... We will need a guy that can check a #1 WR one on one.

lets just ask this question, What has BVG done in the NFL to prove he is a good DC?....... nothing, I liked all of TD's hires and I liked all of Smiths hires, even Mularkey, but the one where i scratched my head was BVG, when was the last time we had a really aggressive DC in here????

Wade Phillips. And those Falcon defenses were nasty. I still wish we were using the 3-4 instead of the 4-3 and had a creative blitzer to overload one side and guarantee at least one free rusher at the QB.

I think going into this game, we expected TOO much from our defense. Our defense is no Jets defense unfortunately. People think that it's so simple to blitz, but you have to have the personnel to do it. Our secondary just isn't strong enough yet to do that, so we have to rely on our d-line to get all the pressure. We were blitzing safeties a couple of times during the game but it was simply ineffective.

Wade Phillips. And those Falcon defenses were nasty. I still wish we were using the 3-4 instead of the 4-3 and had a creative blitzer to overload one side and guarantee at least one free rusher at the QB.

Actually, it was Mike Zimmer. I wished at the time that he'd get the nod as a holdover from the Petrino staff, but it wasn't to be. The things he's doing in Cincinnati right now are borderline amazing.

We can only be as agressive as our personnel allow us to be. We simply donlt have the defesnive personnel and/or experiene to play a blitz heavy defensive scheme - so we have to be more selective about when and where we bring the blitz.

It is worth remembering that we have a very young defensive unit.

Rookies - Jerry, Sidbury, Moore, Owens

2nd year - Biermann, Lofton, Decoud, Jackson

3rd Year - Anderson, Lewis, Nicholas, Houston.

We've investedf a lot in the defense, as these guys were all high and mid round draft picks. We need these guys to develop and create the backbone of a solid defense, but we also need to be patient enough to give then the time and opportunity to do so.

In case you guys didn't notice - the Patriots really adjusted for the blitz after the Jets. How many tight ends did they have in the line against us? 3. How many against the Jets? 1

You really underestimate an opposing coach if you think that you can beat a team by duplicating what the last team did. Good coaches make proper corrections to avoid a second beatdown the same way.

From what I've read it sounds like we were expecting them to come out passing and they ran it more.

So it seems like we went into the game with a bad gameplan defensively.

Our DC was outcoached... but what are you going to do?

He's a future Hall of Famer for a reason.

VanGorder hasn't really done anything yet... even Fox called him Bob VanGorder.

There were quite a few blitzes yesterday unfortunately they went unnoticed because they were ineffective. The DE's were getting around the back side but unfortunately there was no push in the middle and Brady simply stepped up. The other thing was I recall Brady got rid of the ball quickly on most occasions. Lucky for the Falcons he had quite a few bad passes or they were dropped.

Since the Patriots were running and passing all over the place it would have been nice to at least see one all out blitz. The problem was most of the DB's could not make a play on the ball and defend the pass. It looked more like a competition of who could get the most tackles. Houston once again on several plays needed a GPS to find his man.

It looked more like BVG's contingency plan was to rotate DE's more frequently.

My question is this:

its because teams will eat our DBs alive.

There were quite a few blitzes yesterday unfortunately they went unnoticed because they were ineffective. The DE's were getting around the back side but unfortunately there was no push in the middle and Brady simply stepped up. The other thing was I recall Brady got rid of the ball quickly on most occasions. Lucky for the Falcons he had quite a few bad passes or they were dropped.

Since the Patriots were running and passing all over the place it would have been nice to at least see one all out blitz. The problem was most of the DB's could not make a play on the ball and defend the pass. It looked more like a competition of who could get the most tackles. Houston once again on several plays needed a GPS to find his man.

It looked more like BVG's contingency plan was to rotate DE's more frequently.

Well they did get noticed... unfortunately Tom Brady was the one who noticed and adjusted accordingly.

We have a front 4 that cannot do the job in either the run or the pass. All four of our linemen need to be able to penetrate the gap explosively. Our DTs need to be big guys with an explosive first step that can collapse the pocket and penetrate and our defensive ends need to be all around DEs that can generate pressure or penetration in both facets of the game. John Abraham can pass rush with the best of them, but is still a finesse guy either way you look at it. Jonathan Babineaux in an on again off again gap shooting DT, but isn't big enough to really command double teams. Outside of that, we don't really have much. Biermann is a good situational pass rusher, but that's it. Jamaal Anderson is more or less worthless in both facets of the game at this point, and Lewis/Johnson are pretty much rookies with little playing experience and not the talent to make up for it. Losing Jerry is huge for us, as having him develop into that huge gap shooting type of DT was important

Combine that with the fact that we have a band-aid secondary and you have problems. Williams is solid, and Houston simply doesn't have the head/instincts for the game, and Grimes isn't strong enough or fast enough to be a good CB in this league(really agile for sure though). IMO the play of our LBs and Safeties have been at the very least solid and a times pretty good, but they can't cover for the lack of play of our D-Line and CBs.

Actually, it was Mike Zimmer. I wished at the time that he'd get the nod as a holdover from the Petrino staff, but it wasn't to be. The things he's doing in Cincinnati right now are borderline amazing.

Man, i was just talking to my brother about Mike Zimmerman. Even though our team sucked at the time, he actually had the defense playin pretty good. I knew Mike Smith would pick a differnt DC but I wished he had kept Zimmerman.

It's a few things. One, I actually don't think our DC is very good with blitz schemes. Another is we seem to feel if we make a team drive the entire distance of the field, and make a lot of 3rd down conversions, they'll eventually screw up. That works pretty well over time IF you can generate pressure on 3rd down. For instance, if we're unable to generate pressure with the front four on 1st and 2nd because they have to watch out for the run, but they're great on 3rd down, with their ears pinned back, then a non blitzing, bend but don't break style can work. However, if you can't get pressure on 3rd down, even with ears pinned back, it fails.

I believe your point above is the basics of it. We can't get pressure with our front 4, and our secondary can't hold up if we blitz. The team tried to address it by getting penetrating tackles and ends, but they're just not there yet. They attempted in preseason to see if they could blitz, and the secondary performed horribly.

I think they're going to have to start throwing more blitzes in there, as our D isn't getting it done pressure wise, but we will see issues with more big plays against us.

I believe when one corner steps up, and a FS starts to turn deflections into picks, then there will be much more blitzing.

Personally, I'd blitz a lot more, as I like to at least take the fight to them, but I think the coaching staff believes if they can hold teams to around 20, our offense should outscore them...and that's true...they should.

That makes sense. Sadly we just don't have the personnel to get an effective blitz.