We need to draft a DT and DE next year

Jaymadd

Hey i am always looking foward. After 3 games i have come to the wise conclusion that we need to draft another DE and DT in this years draft. We need an everydown DE. Rotating DE is not quite working as well as we wont it too. WE have DE that play the run and we have DE that play the pass, but we are lacking in our DE that do both well. Abe has never been a monster against the run, he is solid, but we are missing another piece. I dont think that Beirmann is the answer at LDE consistently but he is developing into a nice option as a pass rusher at LDE and looks to be a shoe-in to replace Abe. I want a Everydown DE.

We need another DT too, Thomas JOhnson is depth and a stop gap for Jerry, and Trey Lewis look terrible yesterday.

Just a Day in the Mind of Jaymadd :D

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey i am always looking foward. After 3 games i have come to the wise conclusion that we need to draft another DE and DT in this years draft. We need an everydown DE. Rotating DE is not quite working as well as we wont it too. WE have DE that play the run and we have DE that play the pass, but we are lacking in our DE that do both well. Abe has never been a monster against the run, he is solid, but we are missing another piece. I dont think that Beirmann is the answer at LDE consistently but he is developing into a nice option as a pass rusher at LDE and looks to be a shoe-in to replace Abe. I want a Everydown DE.

We need another DT too, Thomas JOhnson is depth and a stop gap for Jerry, and Trey Lewis look terrible yesterday.

Just a Day in the Mind of Jaymadd :D

Another DE?

I really don't think we have to. You must have someone particular in mind.

I don't see us going OL with the #1. I can see us going CB or LB.

I dont think that we go for either in the draft early. How much impact can a Rookie CB have. If anything i think we may get a CB in FA. The FO/Coaching Staff thinks very highly of Adkins replacing Peterson at LB. Adkins runs a 4.4 at 250 very hard to find those skills at LB. I like what i see from Nicholas at SLB. The FO has been rumored to be scouting a DE and DT, which means they are looking at that position again this year.

I've not had a chance to see who might been available in next year's draft yet, who did you have in mind? I'll say a DT, another DE to develop, a corner, a LB, a back up QB, and some inside o-line depth.

I like a lot of DE coming out next year, hopefully the JR prospects declare, which would increase the pool of talent. I really like Derrick Morgan from Georgia Tech.

I think the bigger news flash is that we might be too young and looking for more upgrades in the draft just makes us younger.

YOu were close to getting a -1 for ^^^^. :lol: I think you can get decent upgrades at DE and DT from the draft, while i would rather get a FA CB than to draft one early.

I don't agree with you on the DE part. Beer and Sid just need time to grow.

But I am all about another fatbody.

They need to go out and find the biggest, nastiest, meanest, smelliest, DT in college football and figure out a way to get him on this team.

I don't care if it is hiring ninjas to hide him in a warehouse until after the combine so his stock drops and we can land him at our pick.

Or they can train a Hippo. Just put little black lines under his eyes and people will think we traded for Hanesworth.

After giving it a long unemotional look, if Tye Hill can ball, we are really just short a raw meat eating big nasty gorilla NT.

Guys... we've drafted several DEs and DTs the last few years.

Do you think it might be a good idea to see how they develop before we go crazy?

I've always thought we were trying to build a 'come from behind' defense. If we're in the lead and the other team has to pass then we've got guys that can rush the passer.

The problem is that if we have to grind it out and teams can run on us then we can't go all out in rushing the passer.

Sure it would be nice if we could have a nice bad-ace DT but those guys don't grow on trees and rarely are available in free agency. When they are they are EXPENSIVE... just look at how much Haynesworth cost.

I think the bigger news flash is that we might be too young and looking for more upgrades in the draft just makes us younger.

You do have a really good point. I wasn't even considering that. We have a good base of young players, now we need to fill in the holes. Its always good to get younger, but we need impact players right now. We need to address the CB most of all in FA.

I don't agree with you on the DE part. Beer and Sid just need time to grow.

But I am all about another fatbody.

They need to go out and find the biggest, nastiest, meanest, smelliest, DT in college football and figure out a way to get him on this team.

I don't care if it is hiring ninjas to hide him in a warehouse until after the combine so his stock drops and we can land him at our pick.

Or they can train a Hippo. Just put little black lines under his eyes and people will think we traded for Hanesworth.

After giving it a long unemotional look, if Tye Hill can ball, we are really just short a raw meat eating big nasty gorilla NT.

DT is pretty deep this year too, and we can find really good talent in the 2nd and 3rd round. I dont see Beirmann at LDE everydown, he is a developing into a good pass rusher from either side, but he doesnt work as well on the LDE on running downs. Sidbury is very raw, and I dont know if he can be that Everydown LDE, but he has potential. I agree thought that we need another good size penetrating DT, we dont really need a 330+ Ron Brace type pick, Smitty has already indicating that we like ONe gap penetrating DTs.

What abour Sidbury and Biermann? If we are writing those guys off already, are we going to be writing off next years pick 3 weeks in to his rookie (or 2nd)season?

Remember, we only have 1 pick in the first 2 rounds of the 2010 draft, so the likelihood is that any DT or DE we add will be a mid-round prospect who will need time to develop i.e. no better than Sidbury/Biermann. In addition, the rules surrounding the uncapped year, itr will be difficult to make any significant additions in free agency next year.

Let's give the guys we have an opportunity to develop before we start writing them off and calling for them to be replaced.