Good News about the Perfect Storm of Bad

Peyton

When I think of everything that went wrong yesterday for the Birds, it's kind of a mind boggling list.

1. The offensive gameplan was weak. The Falcons only took one shot downfield all day, didn't try any RB screens, ran the ball on 1st and 2nd down with 11 minutes left in the game and the Falcons down 9 points, and tried to convert a 3rd down with a simple 2 receiver route that had been used earlier in the game. Never try and convert with the same pass play you used earlier, that doesn't work agains a team like the Pats.

2. As bad as the gameplan was, the execution was equally as bad. Finneran fell down on a pass play that probably could have been a TD. Later he totally whiffed on a block on a WR screen that resulted in a drive stunting 5 yard loss. Roddy fell down on a pass play that would have been a crucial 15 yard gain, Turner gave the ball up for the second straight week, Jenkins committed a crucial and unnecessary pass interference penalty, and Matt Ryan, who really played great for most of the game, probably could have held in the pocket in a little longer than he did on a few plays yesterday. I think a few times he felt some pressure that wasn't really there.

3. The defensive line was completely manhandled in every way. I don't know if there is any elaboration needed on that point. Our "bend but don't break" probably wasn't the best way to go, although the defense did enough in this game for the Falcons to win, truth be told.

4. Mike Smith made two horrible challenge decisions. The announcers missed it, but the play that should have been challenged was Moss's catch on the sideline on 3rd and 7. Grimes knocked the ball out of his hands as he was tapping his toes and Moss never had good control of the ball until he trapped it against the ground. Grimes knew it, but apparently he didn't get the word to Smith. Too bad. Smith a few plays later completely wasted the second challenge and a timeout.

5. Mike Smith coached scared. I hope this is a one time mistake. There is no way you punt on the Patriots 38 yard line on 4th and 5 when the defense has only forced one Patriots punt in 5 possessions. Up until that point, the Falcons had been moving the ball at will on the Patriots and had only been stopped by their own mistakes, so there was no reason not to believe that Ryan could get that conversion.

So what is the good news? Well the Falcons have had plenty of "perfect storms of bad" in the past, and those games usually resulted in something a lot worse than 26-10. Think SF over Atlanta 42-3 in 96, or KC over Atlanta 56-10 in 04, or St. Louis over Atlanta 36-0 in 03.

The Falcons were playing the preseason Super Bowl favorites in their own place and did virtually everything wrong, and they were still in the game until well until the 4th quarter. That in itself tells me we have a good team. I just believe we're not going to continue to make those kinds of mistakes.

An admittedly homeristic attempt to find something positive to say about yesterday's game.

This game was VERY revealing.

It confirmed, as did the Arizona playoff game did, that the Falcon franchise is still a long way off from being a serious contender as a Top Rated NFL team.

We ALL bought the hype.

No more.

I don't think that's true. Most teams that make it to the Super Bowl have one or two games a year where it looks rediculous to think of that particular team as a Super Bowl contender. I could give you a thousand examples of teams that won or appeared in the Super Bowl looking a lot worse than the Falcons did yesterday.

I don't think that's true. Most teams that make it to the Super Bowl have one or two games a year where it looks rediculous to think of that particular team as a Super Bowl contender. I could give you a thousand examples of teams that won or appeared in the Super Bowl looking a lot worse than the Falcons did yesterday.

Arizona has a HUGH embarrasment in NE(?) last year during the snow strom which is the most recent I can think of. Yet they built off that to make their run and came close to a win in SB. Lets just settle down a little.

I agree.

While the score doesn't refect it we didn't get 'stomped.'

You've seen this team get stomped... I've seen this team get stomped... and it looks completely different.

I'm hoping the Falcons can use this game as a learning experience and make us a better team.

what game were you watching? if anything else, the score helps our case. if Brady was playing like Brady, this game would've been done. our defense played one of the most demoralizing games i've seen since the Panthers ran 50 times, imo, and our offensive play-calling or execution, whichever one, did not help AT ALL. The Patriots played one of their ugliest games this year, after playing an ugly game every week this year, and we didn't even look competitive. the score doesn't reflect how mismatched we were against this team...this could've easily been another 56-10 game. hopefully Peyton is right and this will be our turn-around game, because this game was TERRIBLE.