Rev's thoughts from the Patriots game

Rev_Hal

Yesterday was the story of 2 games – one where the Falcons were competitive, and one when the Falcons were dominated. My thoughts.

1. Without analyzing the states and just from visual observation, Matt Ryan was the superior QB in the first half. Make excuses for Brady all you want, but I often get the feeling that fans here in Atlanta just don’t understand how special our QB is. He is arguably a top 5 QB in the league, and he has only had 20 starts in the league. I know I sing Ryan’s praises each week, but folks, this guy is elite. Yesterday was a game where a HOF QB was showing sign of decline in his career, and his replacement as the best QB in football was on the other side of the field. Ryan is still growing and learning, but her is better than even we give him credit for.

2. I think the loss of Jerry really showed yesterday. The run defense was gashed, and the DL was really bad in particular. We had virtually no pressure on Brady all day, and he and Moss will rip you up if you give him time. It was an ugly day on defense. I could go on for an hour, but I think that it is best to put this game behind us, study the tape, and look forward. I fully expect the Falcons to be able to rebound from this beating.

3. The offense in the first half looked stellar. Apparently, they stayed in the locker room at halftime and were replaced by store mannequins. I really attribute this to the coaching staff at NE – they made adjustments and shut us down.

4. I have never been one to panic, and I am not panicking now. But it is frustrating after 3 games that we cannot establish the running game. After looking at the game a second time yesterday, and watching the first 2 games, I do not think the problem is Turner. We have played 3 good defenses so far, and they are controlling the gaps on the line. Holes are clogged, and turner has nowhere to go. Pass protection has been good, but we are not winning in the trenches like we did last year. Mularkey needs to watch the tape this week and see what we can do to create some lanes for our running backs. Again – the problem is not Turner, but the OL and the way we are being defensed.

5. I saw only 1 thing that really got under my skin. Mike Smith should have never have made the 2nd challenged. That was an emotional call, and it really appeared that in a rare circumstance, his emotions got the best of him. He decided to throw the flag before his staff upstairs could tell him it would be futile. I understand that he wanted to try and make something happen, but that was a horrible call in his point. If he had it to do over again and was not caught up in the emotion of the moment, I hope he would make a better decision.

6. The Turner fumble was the turning point of the game. It was the last time the Falcons had any sustained offense. Penalties and turnovers – losses.

7. It was so impressive to see how well coached the Patriots are. This team hardly ever makes a mistake. Turnovers, penalties, dumb mistakes – these don’t exist on the Patriots. These guys are well disciplined, and are still one of the elite teams in the league.

8. My favorite play of the game once again involved one of my favorite players – Finneran. In the no huddle offense, did you see him line up at FB? In 2 weeks, he has played WR, S, FB, special teams, and returned a kickoff. Think of how much we could save in the salary cap if we just use Finn in 8 different positions? Can he kick?

9. How bad did the refs blow the incomplete pass that Smith had to challenge? That was embarrassing for them, and I hope the league sends them back to ref school. Pitiful call on the field, and Smith should not have had to challenge the play.

10. I have to say, I am really starting to like Decoud. He was charged with coverage over the top on Moss, which is impossible for most of the league. But he was in many plays and played a very physical game. The kid likes to hit people. He is growing on me.

11. Kudos to the Patriots for taking Gonzo out of the game. Without a running game, Tony is the catalyst that makes this offense move. They neutralized him yesterday, and we got shut down in the 2nd half.

12. Bottom line is that this was 1 loss to a great team at their house. We got spanked, but it was only 1 loss. This is still a 9 to 10 win team, and I am glad this game came when it did. I know that today that people are watching film at the Branch to learn and dissect this game so we can improve.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with virtually everything you said rev. However, I think the offensive gameplan was a bit too conservative. NE doesn't have a great defense this year and I think we could have murdered them slinging it down the field more often. They do REALLY need to step it up on the run blocking. I think we were missing our change of pace as well. Norwood can open things up for Turner. Two of my frustrations with the Offense yesterday was the overuse of the bootleg, and not tryign to run on the edge. Turner is fast enough to run the edge, and Matt Ryan is too good to take away the field and put him on the move. NE wasn't getting so much pressure that we had to limit Matty. That being said, defense is our achilles heal, and unfortunately is the run AND the pass.

I agree with virtually everything you said rev. However, I think the offensive gameplan was a bit too conservative. NE doesn't have a great defense this year and I think we could have murdered them slinging it down the field more often. They do REALLY need to step it up on the run blocking. I think we were missing our change of pace as well. Norwood can open things up for Turner. Two of my frustrations with the Offense yesterday was the overuse of the bootleg, and not tryign to run on the edge. Turner is fast enough to run the edge, and Matt Ryan is too good to take away the field and put him on the move. NE wasn't getting so much pressure that we had to limit Matty. That being said, defense is our achilles heal, and unfortunately is the run AND the pass.

I agree about the run defense. But we faced a HOF QB and one of the best receivers in the league yesterday. I expected their passing game to go well if we did n ot get any pressure on Brady. Buffalo neutralized Brady with a coverage scheme, and that is obviously what BVG was trying to do. It just didn't work, and we did not adjust.

I agree about the run defense. But we faced a HOF QB and one of the best receivers in the league yesterday. I expected their passing game to go well if we did n ot get any pressure on Brady. Buffalo neutralized Brady with a coverage scheme, and that is obviously what BVG was trying to do. It just didn't work, and we did not adjust.

Ya, and personally I hate this "style" of defense. Its very frustrating to watch when its not working, and when you have an offense like ours you don't want them watching from the sidelines getting antsy. I would wager through three games we have one of the worst 3rd down conversions against percentages in the league, but I don't have time to look up the stat.

Edit: Ok I looked it up. We're allowing teams to convert 46% of 3rd downs. The Browns have a better average..... We're 4th from the bottom.

Rev , agree with your post, accidentally hit the minus button when I meant to hit the plus button, had to go find two of your post to mark plus to make up for it.

Think the Falcons got out schemed, out executed, out adjusted- it is NE and a really good team, I want to see how this team responds.

Point 4- the running game not getting going is concerning to me as well. I want to see a solid push the next game.

Point 2- the run D also worries me. lets hope Walker, Lewis or Johnson really improves- we need a NT to make this D work.

Your point at #6 pretty sums it up for me. Had Turner not fumbled, I had no doubt the Falcons would have taken it in for 6. The Patriots D was on their heels that entire drive and Ryan was mixing his plays and tempo very well. By my count, the Falcons offense left at LEAST 20 points on the field yesterday. Not mention those two picks that DeCoud SHOULD have caught.

Go analysis Rev, as always.

Everyone on this board was preaching, we gotta get pressure on Brady or it will be a long day. We didn't get a pressure, and it WAS a long day. But as I have said in like 4 different threads, its disappointing like any loss, but we have nothing to be ashamed about. We lost to the pats at their house.

You can bet Matt is already watching tape and seeing how we can improve. I agree with Rev, this kid is elite. He didn't have one of his best days, but still looked poised.

This team now has an extra week to prepare for our next game. We are going to come out swinging against San Fran. I'll bet anything that this is the week where we finally establish a running game, which will open up the field for Matt.

I agree that Decoud is showing up and i see why he is starting at FS and not coleman. I also agree that Mularkey needs to open up that playbook again and stop hatin on Matt Ryan, Gonzo, RW, MJ, and trust the talent he has to make plays. It seems like after the Mia game we stopped taking shots down the field.

The problem i have with Turner is more so ball security, not soo much his running, but

i do think that he bears part of the ball for the lack of production in the running game.

Nice summary Rev... although I must admit i didn't get to see the game (which totally blows), as I spent the day travelling, coming back from the BIg Easy...

I just wanted to pop in and say thanks the the board members here for making what little time i did spend here enjoyable... usually when you go to another board, one spends as much time "defending your life" as you do talking football... not the case here... My hat's off the the falcon fans on this board...

The Falcons are moving in the right direction... I do believe this is the year the Falcons finally break their run and finally string together two winning seasons... Don't give up the faith, you have a good thing going in Atlanta... You have good players, a good coach and most importantly, it appears you have a strong front office... now all they need is a little seasoning... You guys have a good football team, and lookforward to a time when your team faces my Pats in the first week February...

and If The Pats do get to play the Falcons again, feel free to stop by the official Pats board and speak your piece ;)

Thanks man. Much Respect for the Pats.

You are right on Rev. Our run offense has been stymied by 4-3 and 3-4 alignments. There is a problem at the OL and it needs to get fixed.

Gonzalez was stopped by using a LB and a Safety. That should have opened the run game for us, as well as giving Roddy and Michael single coverage. Why were we not able to capitalize?

Our run D was mediocre with Perry and yesterday was lousy. Keep in mind that the Pats' run offense had poor numbers before yesterday.

i agree with everything you said. it was the patriots guys, they're the one of the toughest teams to beat around. i think we can beat them, but like most teams when they beat them you have to be on your a game and we werent.

call him tippy toes turner all you want, but the line is the problem IMO. everytime turner gets the ball i see 2-3 defenders staring him in the face before he can even get past the LOS. i remember it being a problem during games last year as well (denver game comes to mind).

the lack of the deep ball in our O this year is KILLING us. like i said in my thread yesterday we havent thrown nearly as many deep balls as last year. i think that falls on mularkey. roddy and jenkins both averaged 15.5+ ypc last year and ryan averaged one of the highest yds per attempt in the league, so i have a hard time thinking that our guys aren't getting open, or that ryan isn't finding them. we have GOT to start sending roddy deep more. that's what he does best, that's why we paid him all of that money. i can only remember that were thrown more than 15 yds to roddy all year. he's not a possession reciever. we start going deep and it's going to open things up for our turner and our O will become a lot more explosive. that's what it's lacking so far.

the run D needs to get better and it starts with the middle. we need a nosetackle. i felt good about johnson going into that game yesterday but now i see why he was out of football for two years. maybe the FO will give it a couple of more weeks and if nothing happens they'll spring a trade for a dorsey or henderson or somebody.

we were just out-coached and out-played on the road in NE against the dynasty of this decade. i expect the staff and the players will get things together over the bye and we'll come out angry vs san fran and play well. NE has an impressive streak of not losing back to back games, but guess which team has the second longest streak? we do. i'm not throwing the towel in on this team like some fans are and i still think we can get 10 wins this year as long as we fix a few things.

EDIT: and i'm not the type to call out the refs but that game was officiated HORRIBLY yesterday. brady barely got touched and they threw a 15 yd flag, yet ryan got slammed by one of their players after the game (i think it was wilfork?) yet no flag. moss pushed off a good 2-3 times yesterday; jenkins pushed off once and a flag. i don't even have to mention the fumbled they called on ryan that got called back. i won't say that had it out for us or anything, but that was one of the worst officiated games i saw since PHI last year.

In regards to the Turner fumble... I don't think there's a RB in the league that holds on to that ball. That was the right shot, at the right place, at the right time, with the right force. Turner had that thing cradled perfectly. So, I don't really blame him for that. Did it stall our momentum? Yes. Is it his fault? I can't really put the blame on him. Perfect play by a defender.

Yesterday was the story of 2 games one where the Falcons were competitive, and one when the Falcons were dominated. My thoughts.

1. Without analyzing the states and just from visual observation, Matt Ryan was the superior QB in the first half. Make excuses for Brady all you want, but I often get the feeling that fans here in Atlanta just dont understand how special our QB is. He is arguably a top 5 QB in the league, and he has only had 20 starts in the league. I know I sing Ryans praises each week, but folks, this guy is elite. Yesterday was a game where a HOF QB was showing sign of decline in his career, and his replacement as the best QB in football was on the other side of the field. Ryan is still growing and learning, but her is better than even we give him credit for.

2. I think the loss of Jerry really showed yesterday. The run defense was gashed, and the DL was really bad in particular. We had virtually no pressure on Brady all day, and he and Moss will rip you up if you give him time. It was an ugly day on defense. I could go on for an hour, but I think that it is best to put this game behind us, study the tape, and look forward. I fully expect the Falcons to be able to rebound from this beating.

3. The offense in the first half looked stellar. Apparently, they stayed in the locker room at halftime and were replaced by store mannequins. I really attribute this to the coaching staff at NE they made adjustments and shut us down.

4. I have never been one to panic, and I am not panicking now. But it is frustrating after 3 games that we cannot establish the running game. After looking at the game a second time yesterday, and watching the first 2 games, I do not think the problem is Turner. We have played 3 good defenses so far, and they are controlling the gaps on the line. Holes are clogged, and turner has nowhere to go. Pass protection has been good, but we are not winning in the trenches like we did last year. Mularkey needs to watch the tape this week and see what we can do to create some lanes for our running backs. Again the problem is not Turner, but the OL and the way we are being defensed.

5. I saw only 1 thing that really got under my skin. Mike Smith should have never have made the 2nd challenged. That was an emotional call, and it really appeared that in a rare circumstance, his emotions got the best of him. He decided to throw the flag before his staff upstairs could tell him it would be futile. I understand that he wanted to try and make something happen, but that was a horrible call in his point. If he had it to do over again and was not caught up in the emotion of the moment, I hope he would make a better decision.

6. The Turner fumble was the turning point of the game. It was the last time the Falcons had any sustained offense. Penalties and turnovers losses.

7. It was so impressive to see how well coached the Patriots are. This team hardly ever makes a mistake. Turnovers, penalties, dumb mistakes these dont exist on the Patriots. These guys are well disciplined, and are still one of the elite teams in the league.

8. My favorite play of the game once again involved one of my favorite players Finneran. In the no huddle offense, did you see him line up at FB? In 2 weeks, he has played WR, S, FB, special teams, and returned a kickoff. Think of how much we could save in the salary cap if we just use Finn in 8 different positions? Can he kick?

9. How bad did the refs blow the incomplete pass that Smith had to challenge? That was embarrassing for them, and I hope the league sends them back to ref school. Pitiful call on the field, and Smith should not have had to challenge the play.

10. I have to say, I am really starting to like Decoud. He was charged with coverage over the top on Moss, which is impossible for most of the league. But he was in many plays and played a very physical game. The kid likes to hit people. He is growing on me.

11. Kudos to the Patriots for taking Gonzo out of the game. Without a running game, Tony is the catalyst that makes this offense move. They neutralized him yesterday, and we got shut down in the 2nd half.

12. Bottom line is that this was 1 loss to a great team at their house. We got spanked, but it was only 1 loss. This is still a 9 to 10 win team, and I am glad this game came when it did. I know that today that people are watching film at the Branch to learn and dissect this game so we can improve.

I am not so sure....we have a tough schedule and are clearly outmanned on most positions when facing a good team.We have a number of good teams left to play. Without some upgrades at a number of positions we are what we are...a porous bend but don't break (that looked broken yesterday)defense and a very inconsistent, mistake prone offense so far. The Falcons will have to play and coach alot better from here on out for us to have a winning season.

Nice summary Rev... although I must admit i didn't get to see the game (which totally blows), as I spent the day travelling, coming back from the BIg Easy...

I just wanted to pop in and say thanks the the board members here for making what little time i did spend here enjoyable... usually when you go to another board, one spends as much time "defending your life" as you do talking football... not the case here... My hat's off the the falcon fans on this board...

The Falcons are moving in the right direction... I do believe this is the year the Falcons finally break their run and finally string together two winning seasons... Don't give up the faith, you have a good thing going in Atlanta... You have good players, a good coach and most importantly, it appears you have a strong front office... now all they need is a little seasoning... You guys have a good football team, and lookforward to a time when your team faces my Pats in the first week of February...

and If The Pats do get to play the Falcons again, feel free to stop by the official Pats board and speak your piece wink.gif

Dude, I wish all opposing fans were as classy as you and your folks have been in the past week. We cold learn from your example.

I am not so sure....we have a tough schedule and are clearly outmanned on most positions when facing a good team.We have a number of good teams left to play. Without some upgrades at a number of positions we are what we are...a porous bend but don't break (that looked broken yesterday)defense and a very inconsistent, mistake prone offense so far. The Falcons will have to play and coach alot better from here on out for us to have a winning season.

I disagree. This is a young team taht will improve as the season moves forward. Also we have 5 new starters, It takes some time for a unit to come together. They were bad yesterday, but this defense is way better than I thought tehy would be. And we are going to improve.

I disagree. This is a young team taht will improve as the season moves forward. Also we have 5 new starters, It takes some time for a unit to come together. They were bad yesterday, but this defense is way better than I thought tehy would be. And we are going to improve.

Trey Lewis played in the second half and seemed solid. That is

what I expected. That is a plus on an off day.

Trey Lewis played in the second half and seemed solid. That is

what I expected. That is a plus on an off day.

I didn't focus on anyone in particular on the DL in teh 2nd half, but what makes you say his play was solid? NE controlled the line of scrimage the entire second half. No one at all stood out as a positive in my mind. What did Try do that you liked? what plays?

I didn't focus on anyone in particular on the DL in teh 2nd half, but what makes you say his play was solid? NE controlled the line of scrimage the entire second half. No one at all stood out as a positive in my mind. What did Try do that you liked? what plays?

He stayed in his spot or pushed the pocket back and

he was quick enough to make a tackle on a play off to

his left. He may not have been throwing people around

like rag dolls but they certainly weren't manhandling

him. He is a load to stop. So if all interior linemen

had played like him there would be nowhere to run in

the middle of the field.