Could someone in the media please ask Mike Smith

g-dawg

that was the frustrating thing about the game to me.......

sometimes you have to go for it on 4th down to "keep momentum" - like we should have in 2nd quarter before half with 4th down from Patriots 38.

sometimes you have to go for it on 4th down when you have "nothing to lose" - like we should have done in 4th quarter down two scores on two occasions....

We did go for it once on 4th and 3 (and converted it, I might add). We did it twice last week.

But our coaches are not dumb enough to try something they see isn't working. The Pats shut our running game down and was doing well stopping our passing game by the 4th quarter.

Smitty, being a defensive minded coach, feels our defense should be able to make a play and get the ball back. This is why he refused to go for it when we were backed up yesterday.

But don't act like he never has done this or doesn't ever do this.

VoR^

Yeah hes a defensive minded head coach but he's obviously way too confident in his defense. They hadn't stopped the Patriots the entire game, ok 1 punt but still. What makes him think they are gonna get a 3 and out there.

Same as when he didnt go for it past mid field in the NO game last year when they had already put up 29 on us

We did the same thing in the playoff game against AZ.

This defense isn't good enough to be trusted with the game on the line. I couldn't believe that they didn't go for it with 7 minutes left.

You have to know your team in times like that, Smitty put his trust in the wrong part of it (defense) and they failed him.

We did go for it once on 4th and 3 (and converted it, I might add). We did it twice last week.

But our coaches are not dumb enough to try something they see isn't working. The Pats shut our running game down and was doing well stopping our passing game by the 4th quarter.

Smitty, being a defensive minded coach, feels our defense should be able to make a play and get the ball back. This is why he refused to go for it when we were backed up yesterday.

But don't act like he never has done this or doesn't ever do this.

Voice of Reason,

What did Mike Smith see in that game that would give him confidence that if the Falcons punted the ball that they would ever get it back????????

Falcons defense was getting "throttled" by the Patriots running game - and Brady is an all-timer - even though he has not played like it recently and yesterday.

The only chance the Falcons had to win this game was to do their own ball control and keep Matt Ryan and the offense on the field....everytime the Falcons punted the ball another 6-10 minutes would come off the clock and result in points for the Pats. The trend started early in the game and was maintained - this is not me being an "armchair coach" with the advantage of hindsight - the calls should have been easily made in "real time" during the game.

Voice of Reason,

What did Mike Smith see in that game that would give him confidence that if the Falcons punted the ball that they would ever get it back????????

Falcons defense was getting "throttled" by the Patriots running game - and Brady is an all-timer - even though he has not played like it recently and yesterday.

The only chance the Falcons had to win this game was to do their own ball control and keep Matt Ryan and the offense on the field....everytime the Falcons punted the ball another 6-10 minutes would come off the clock and result in points for the Pats. The trend started early in the game and was maintained - this is not me being an "armchair coach" with the advantage of hindsight - the calls should have been easily made in "real time" during the game.

This

I totally agree. When you're on the road playing a superior opponet, and the strength of the team is your offense- you have to go out and take the game.

We should have gone for it on the opening drive- what good is a FG in this game?

But definitely when we were at the 38 yard line. We gained what 15-20 yards of field position?

I love Coach Smith, but this trend of not knowing when to go for it on 4th downs is very aggravating. We got outcoached this game big time.