Do you believe that our defensive front is too small?

SaintsH8

especially at NT. With Jerry in we had 2 UT in the game. I think a true NT has to be held up by 2 blockers as he pushes the pocket back. But weight is also not a true measure as they just have to have the strength to push a pocket back even if they are doubled.

That is why I thought Grady was overrated

Yes, my main concern is the DT spot. Trey Lewis is a good size, but the other DT's are too small. That is part of the reason why I was against the Jerry pick. Grady did a good job for us b/c he was a big rock in the middle. I would have liked to see a younger version of the same type of DT.

We cant fic the entire team all at once. Our O is set. Our Lbers have improved quite a bit. In the offseason look to see us add dome bulk to our DLine

You're right that is why I am not worried, Smith had those big strong defensive tackles in Jacksonville so look for a free agent or a drafted tackle.

It isn't necessarily that they are too small, though I was a bit concerned with playing Jerry at NT because he didn't always hold up well against double teams when I watched him. I think we could really use a 300-310 guy who plays with good leverage and has good strength to hold up versus double teams. Whether we draft him early or in the mid-round range is of no consequence to me, but we need to shore up the NT position. I am not sure Lewis has it anymore and Johnson is not the answer either.

Babs is a little light but he is more of a rod coleman type player at UT so he does not concern me, plus he plays well versus the run generally and gets a good amount of TFL's and tackles close to the line of scrimmage. But if we had another good NT that was better versus double teams we could rotate Jerry at NT and UT and just have a lot more flexibility as a defensive front.

JA needs to be upgraded as a starter but I wouldn't mind keeping him around (unless we can release him without a substantial cap hit) as depth versus the run, but that may not happen.

We are in a bit of a pickle since we are getting no pressure with our front 4 and we are also having serious issues stopping the run. It really is the worst of both worlds right now, and it isn't something we can really fix or upgrade during the season.