An HONEST evaluation of the DAWGS

Dawgy

I figured I'd take a shot at evaluating our team after the four games and touch on broad trends from this season and from before.

OFFENSE

QB: He has improved over the past few weeks and I'm happy with him. However, the ASU game was a minor step back. I think Joe has kept pushing every week trying to make more and more difficult throws and to find his limits, and has finally reached the limits of his capabilities (as evaluated in game time). He'll need to play within thoselimits.

OL: Disappointing. Not getting the push on running plays. Has been true all season, and highlighted yesterday after we could not punch the ball in from 1st and Goal on the 5, or convert the 4th and inches

TE/WR: Are exceeding expectations, and we are getting more players involved.

RB: Average so far, but I can see us getting better here. OL can help if it jells better

Coaching: Pretty happy with Bobo in general

DEFENSE

DL: Very disappointing especially after having Jeff and Geno up front. We look porous against the run and the pass (we looked porous against the run last year as well). DEs are improving. I think we'll see the DL play better, which is good since our season can hinge on the play here

LB: A little disappointed here as well except for Rennie. See coaching below

DB: Not as bad as they look but still pretty bad fundamentally. I'm sure everyone has seen our players look horrible on man coverage and we leave big gaping holes on zone. No ball awareness and we never play the ball anyway- DBs don't turn to play the ball in coverage but just wave their hands while looking straight into the receivers eyes. Better line play will obviously help here, and it’s good to see the safeties play physical.

Coaching: I really try to be balanced, so I'm being very unemotional in saying that Willie has to go. Our defense has gone from being the strength of the team to neutral to now being a liability. Play calling has been average, and adjustments non-existent. Also troubling is the lack of basic fundamentals in tackling and pass coverage. An excuse could be that we are not talented enough on D, but c'mon, who recruits these players, including our corners who while talented are really too short to be effective. I’m disheartened after watching the Alabama blow-up Arkansas' offense, especially since Bama lost Hightower early. Whether we’d be average or great depends on what happens here.

SPECIAL TEAMS

We used to be very good. Block field goals and punts regularly, cover well etc. but that seems to be missing now. We don’t even try blocking punts. Kicking and punting and returns have been great this year, but somehow I feel that we are riding on talent here and fundamentals/scheming are again missing. That's a shame as ST can be the low hanging fruit.

OVERALL COACHING

CMR has grown as a head coach after giving up play calling to Bobo. I like the way he has built continuity in his staff (save one exception :)), and he is really building a reputation across the country that is unique and different from the crowd. On the negative side (I posted this earlier in another post), we seem to be behind the curve in innovating: utilizing some form of wildcat, a dedicated ST coach etc. ... we seem to react more than set the tone. An exception was the UF game celebration (AWESOME), for reasons far beyond that game, and I hope we do a little bit more beyond the box.

I'd also would like a longer term perspective from the CMR on:

i) Managing players for the long haul- getting the back-up QB more snaps (esp last year and some this year as well )or the next year could be like 2006 all over again, Knowshown Moreno redshirt, and the handling of poor Kiante Tripp.

ii) Recruiting.. we do not have any DEs now so guess what, we'll recruit a bunch for next year. No OL.. no problem... we'll get those as well and neglect other positions till it becomes an issue. I wish we were more balanced in terms of meeting our needs on a longer term strategic basis. They may already be doing that, but it is not showing up in the results.

I really like CMR, but those things make the difference between being good and great. He'll get there (not redshirting AJ Green etc is an example), but knowing him it'll take time and would NOT be proactive, but probably be after an adverse outcome. Regardless, I hope he stays at UGA for a long time.

What do you guys think?

I figured I'd take a shot at evaluating our team after the four games and touch on broad trends from this season and from before.

OFFENSE

QB: He has improved over the past few weeks and I'm happy with him. However, the ASU game was a minor step back. I think Joe has kept pushing every week trying to make more and more difficult throws and to test himself, and has finally reached the limits of his capabilities (as evaluated in game time). He'll need to play within that.

OL: Disappointing. Not getting the push on running plays. Has been true all season, and highlighted yesterday after we could not punch the ball in from 1st and Goal on the 5, or convert the 4th and inches

TE/WR: Are exceeding expectations, and we are getting more players involved.

RB: Average so far, but I can see us getting better here. OL can help if it jells better

Coaching: Pretty happy with Bobo in general

DEFENSE

DL: Very disappointing especially after having Jeff and Geno up front. We look porous against the run and the pass (we looked porous against the run last year as well). DEs are improving. I think we'll see the DL play better, which is good since our season can hinge on the play here

LB: A little disappointed here as well except for Rennie. See coaching below

DB: Not as bad as they look but still pretty bad fundamentally. I'm sure everyone has seen our players look horrible on man coverage and we leave big gaping holes on zone. No ball awareness and we never play the ball anyway- DBs don't turn to play the ball in coverage but just wave their hands while looking straight into the receivers eyes. Better line play will obviously help here, and it’s good to see the safeties play physical.

Coaching: I really try to be balanced, so I'm being rational in saying that Willie has to go. Our defense has gone from being the strength of the team to neutral to now being a liability. Play calling has been average, and adjustments non-existent. Also troubling is the lack of basic fundamentals in tackling and pass coverage. An excuse could be that we are not talented enough on D, but c'mon, who recruits these players, including our corners who while talented are really too short to be effective. I’m disheartened after watching the Alabama-Arkansas game, especially since Bama lost Hightower early. Whether we’d be average or great depends on what happens here.

SPECIAL TEAMS

We used to be very good. Block field goals and punts regularly, cover well etc. but that seems to be missing now. We don’t even try blocking punts. Kicking and punting and returns have been great this year, but somehow I feel that we are riding on talent here and fundamentals/scheming are again missing.

What do you guys think?

Sounds a lot like us.