Falcons cautious about playing DT Lewis

atljbo

Linkism

Posted Sept. 26, 2009 @ 7:47 p.m.

By Dan Parr

With first-round pick DT Peria Jerry done for the season after suffering a knee injury in Week Two, the Falcons will move Thomas Johnson into the starting lineup. He'll rotate with unproven backups Trey Lewis, who was deactivated for the first two games of the season, and rookie Vance Walker, who was called up from the practice squad after Jerry had been ruled out for the year. Lewis played well as a rookie in 2007 and is finally healthy after dealing with a series of knee injuries that kept him out part of '07 and all of '08, but the coaching staff has been hesitant to put him on the field in game situations. Sources say the team kept him inactive for the first two weeks because it's concerned about his grasp of the defense. His football intelligence is apparently lacking, but with Jerry out, the Falcons have little choice but to assign greater responsibilities to Lewis, Walker and Johnson.

What makes the writer so sure it's his football intelligence? The guy has had to have his left arm sewn back on twice, both knees imploded, a hip replacement,...

OK so I'm exaggerating. I liked the pick when we took him in the draft, but I think a big part, if not all of it, is they don't want him pushing too hard too soon and hurting himself again. Those knees are tough healing, especially for a guy his size, and since he got some playing time last year, I'm a little skeptical it's his grasp of the defense that's the issue here.

The reason they are giving about his intelligence does not make sence. He wouldn't have made the 53 man roster

if that was the case. He would've been on the first cut list. Sometimes you can't believe everything you read.

Why would you hold on to somebody that is not catching on to what you want to do? If it is true then it really

shows that one trait you must have is being smart with TD. Remember Lewis is one of McKay's pick.

On a side note I think this is the last year for JA98. And depending on how he plays the rest of the year, Houston may also be up for trade. Especially if Hill plays well.

From the camps, mock games, preseason and regular season games I've seen so far, Thomas Johnson has out played all of our DTs.

Dude is playing like somebody that's been starving for three years and really trying to take somebody's spot right now.

There's a reason why he has been playing in front of Trey Lewis folks. Trust me.

i'm not sure the football IQ is the main thing stopping Trey Lewis. I'm thinking we have seriously overrated his ability based upon pure measurables. If he wasn't 6'3 320, we wouldn't be touting him (as some on MB do) as the next Haynesworth. He was a sixth round pick from Washburn that hasn't stayed healthy--could be a career "prospect."

I'm afraid the injury to Jerry could be huge (in a negative way) for us starting today. Hopefully, i am completely wrong.

Linkism

Posted Sept. 26, 2009 @ 7:47 p.m.

By Dan Parr

With first-round pick DT Peria Jerry done for the season after suffering a knee injury in Week Two, the Falcons will move Thomas Johnson into the starting lineup. He'll rotate with unproven backups Trey Lewis, who was deactivated for the first two games of the season, and rookie Vance Walker, who was called up from the practice squad after Jerry had been ruled out for the year. Lewis played well as a rookie in 2007 and is finally healthy after dealing with a series of knee injuries that kept him out part of '07 and all of '08, but the coaching staff has been hesitant to put him on the field in game situations. Sources say the team kept him inactive for the first two weeks because it's concerned about his grasp of the defense. His football intelligence is apparently lacking, but with Jerry out, the Falcons have little choice but to assign greater responsibilities to Lewis, Walker and Johnson.

I think it is far more likely they are making sure his knee is fully healed.