Handoff deception

Charley

Have ya'll ever noticed how Matt hands the ball off. It seems to me that he shows his hand too soon.I understand that they are tring to have a good safe handoff (no fumbles)but I've noticed that some QB's seem to hide it till the last moment. When Matt extends his arms from the handoff, I just think the defence has a little more time to react to the runner. Yes, I know he fakes the handoff sometimes but, I believe he could work on that a little more. Confusion, deception, and missdirection may allow Turner a little more running room or give Matt some extra time ,maybe not. Just interested in your opinions.

Have ya'll ever noticed how Matt hands the ball off. It seems to me that he shows his hand too soon.I understand that they are tring to have a good safe handoff (no fumbles)but I've noticed that some QB's seem to hide it till the last moment. When Matt extends his arms from the handoff, I just think the defence has a little more time to react to the runner. Yes, I know he fakes the handoff sometimes but, I believe he could work on that a little more. Confusion, deception, and missdirection may allow Turner a little more running room or give Matt some extra time ,maybe not. Just interested in your opinions.

I always thought the same thing with Brett Favre. Seemed like he stuck the football out at full arm's length for God and everyone to see. Yet, at times he did bootleg or otherwise fake handoffs. I think the handoff should be a little sneakier, too, but apparently they do that by design.

I don't know. Watch Favre sometimes. He starts his handoff on the first step back out from under center. But doing that also make him one of the better play action QB's in the league. Ryan studies the game and it seems that he takes little things that work from successful QB's and incorporates them into his game. I'm sure him showing handoff early is intentional and is used to set up better play action passes.

I always thought the same thing with Brett Favre. Seemed like he stuck the football out at full arm's length for God and everyone to see. Yet, at times he did bootleg or otherwise fake handoffs. I think the handoff should be a little sneakier, too, but apparently they do that by design.

lol, good call with Favre. :) Great minds & all.....

It also might be easier for the RB to get the ball. The transfer is difficult enough as it is. When you get tricky, it increases the chances for a missed handoff, which often ends badly.

It also might be easier for the RB to get the ball. The transfer is difficult enough as it is. When you get tricky, it increases the chances for a missed handoff, which often ends badly.

Your right, but some QBs around the league seem to have great success with it. Perhaps as Matt continues to mature we will see more deception. After all it's only his second year.